Reload this Page >

WSJ: Case of the Vanishing Airport Lines

Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1186...left_column_hs

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- When the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport was planning a new concourse, prime tenant Alaska Airlines insisted on a counterintuitive design: "The one thing we don't want is a ticket counter," said Ed White, the airline's vice president of corporate real estate.

So the 447,000-square-foot Concourse C, which opened in 2004, has only one small, traditional ticket counter, even though the carrier's 1.2 million Anchorage passengers checked in through that area last year. This unconventional approach -- which uses self-service check-in machines and manned "bag drop" stations in a spacious hall that looks nothing like a typical airport -- has doubled Alaska's capacity here, halved its staffing needs and cut costs, while speeding travelers through the building in far less time.
Most U.S. airports have shallow, rectangular check-in halls with endless ticket counters against the back wall. In between the counters and terminal doors typically are lines of passengers snaking back and forth, waiting to check bags or speak to agents for assistance. Even with most airlines' introduction of self-service check-in kiosks, fliers needing to check luggage or pets, buy tickets or ask for other assistance still need to stand in line.

In Anchorage, the lobby is deep instead of shallow. But thanks to multiple windows, it is light and airy and provides a sweeping view of the Chugach Mountains to the east. The spacious hall is dotted with kiosks and roving customer-service agents to help passengers who aren't familiar with the machines. Those without bags can go immediately to the security-screening lines around the corner. Those with luggage proceed to bag-drop stations where the passengers, not the agents, place the bags on conveyor belts while the clerk checks boarding passes and identification, tag the bags and give the fliers the baggage stubs.

Because the transactions are so swift at these stations -- and because the passengers (or, in some cases, porters) do the heavy lifting -- one agent can handle two lines of passengers, and the lines are rarely very long. Elite frequent fliers have dedicated bag-drop stations.
When I first read this, I thought, "hey, this sounds like the new ATL Delta check-in area." sure enough, later in the article, they cite that DL people had inspected the Alaska Air check-in and may have used it as a model for the new ATL check-in.

I must say that my experience there was significantly faster than having to wait in the long queues before the redesign, even when volume is heavy.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:06 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
How does one agent handle a planeload of passengers if a flight cancels ? Who does ticketing or ticket changes when passengers need that service ? I'd like to know the answers to these questions.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:01 pm

when irrops occur, customers still use kiosks, which usually has a phone going directly to call center. There isn't much that can't be accomplished by a phone and a kiosk which can print boarding pass.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by bhmlurker
when irrops occur, customers still use kiosks, which usually has a phone going directly to call center. There isn't much that can't be accomplished by a phone and a kiosk which can print boarding pass.
--------------------------------
True, but the kiosk or the call center cannot reissue or exchange a ticket over to another carrier. The passenger will still have to talk to a person at the ticket counter. Good luck when you have a planeload of people trying to do this.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
--------------------------------
True, but the kiosk or the call center cannot reissue or exchange a ticket over to another carrier. The passenger will still have to talk to a person at the ticket counter. Good luck when you have a planeload of people trying to do this.
in ATL, at least, they still do have a regular ticket counter. however, volume there is much less due to the presence of the aforementioned kiosk check-in system. also, wouldn't apply for those already in the terminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.