Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

AirAsia X first route ( Kuala Lumpur - Gold Coast )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold

Looking at AirAsia website today and in the 'What's new' section it said that "AirAsia X flying to
Gold Coast, Australia soon!" No date given though. They will fly this route with their new A330-300. Could be interesting to see how AirAsia performance on long haul flight.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:04 am

Wonder when they'll release fares...
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
No news this afternoon but Friday could be when Avalon is announced as the first Aussie destination, long haul.

Will fares all the way to London be released tomorrow?

Last edited by BiziBB; Aug 9, 2007 at 5:31 am
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7free and futaris were right - Gold Coast / Coolangatta OOL is the first Aussie destination - Age story:

Fly from Australia to Malaysia for $A31
Australians will be offered return fares as low as 90 Ringgits ($A31) to fly to Malaysia, after the new budget airline AirAsia X on Friday secured rights to fly to the Gold Coast.

Air Asia X - an offshoot of Asia's biggest low cost carrier Air Asia - announced the Gold Coast would be its first global destination from its Kuala Lumpur-base, with flights potentially from next month.

"The Gold Coast would be the first destination," Air Asia X founder Tony Fernandes said.

"Fares would range from as low as 90 ringgit to an average fare which would be in the 1,900 ringgit ($A647) mark return."
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:24 am
Original Poster

British billionaire Richard Branson's Virgin Group has taken a 20 percent stake in a new Malaysian airline that has ambitions to become the world's top long-haul budget carrier. Branson and AirAsia X, founded by former Virgin executive Tony Fernandes, did not immediately give a price for the deal, which is rumored to be tiny, but the real value of the transaction is in the longer-term alliance of the two businesses.

AirAsia X has rights to fly to Stansted airport, a major UK hub for European low-cost flights, as well as to Australia's Gold Coast tourist mecca and to Avalon airport near Melbourne. The Australian flights are due to begin by the end of next month.
Link to the news.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

ANNOUNCEMENT FOR D7
AirAsia-X Bhd (was FlyAsianXpress Bhd.) proudly to announce you our new Long Haul Sector to Gold Coast (Australia) from Kuala Lumpur (KUL) : D7 2702 KUL-OOL & D7 2703 OOL-KUL start on 2 November 2007.
Special promotion on Progress and we are not ready for open sales, but you can find about us at : http://www.airasia.com/site/in/in/pa...&reference=aax

Please inform you that AirAsia-X (D7) stand on Low Fare Airlines, but we divide 2 (two) class : Economy Class & Upgrade XL Class. All frills do not sell fre but you can make pre-purchase for your needs.
Receive this news from an insider in AirAsia. But the link provided don't have any news about this new route yet.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:00 am

AirAsia X ( Kuala Lumpur - Gold Coast )

http://www.airasia.com/site/au/en/home.jsp

Go Go Gold Coast (Brisbane)

Booking Period: 29 Sep 2007 - 30 Sep 2007
Travel Period: 2 Nov 2007 - 14 Nov 2007

Gold Coast from RM50.00 / AUD99.00

Terms and Conditions
  • seats are limited and may not be available on all flights
  • valid for new purchases only
  • all fares are quoted for single journey (one-way) only
  • fares do not include taxes and fees
  • all taxes and fees must be paid at the time of purchase
  • foreign fares and fees are subjected to currency exchange rates
  • offer is subject to availability, AirAsia Terms and Conditions
  • no refunds are permitted after payment has been made
  • guests travelling need to provide all necessary travel documents (eg valid passport, visa where applicable etc) at the time of departure
  • AirAsia reserves the right to deny guests from boarding without proper documentation
  • full payment shall be made upon booking
  • changes to flights and dates are permitted subject to change fees
  • changes to name are not permitted
  • only available for online booking at www.airasia.com

Should end up costing around AUD 500 for a return ticket after taxes...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:05 am

Kuala Lumpur - Gold Coast Fares are up for sale from tomorrow, around AUD$500 for a return ticket. I've started a new thread here and on AFF ...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No luck for me...tried almost all the dates. Did anyone find availabke fares?
Gold Coast (OOL) to Kuala Lumpur LCCT (KUL) Sorry, there are no fares available on this date.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:06 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by BiziBB
No luck for me...tried almost all the dates. Did anyone find availabke fares?
Hmmm, could it be because booking only starts tomorrow, as airasia.com clearly spells out?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Merging threads

Originally Posted by futaris
I've started a new thread here and on AFF ...
Since this is really the same topic I'm merging the threads.

EmailKid
Budget Travel Moderator
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:40 pm

Fares are up at 4am GMT+10 (AEST). AU$1 + AU$99 tax.

$7 for 1-15kg Baggage.
$42 for 15-20kg.
$77 for 21-25kg.
$25 per 5kg thereafter.

$7 for a meal.
$7 for a seat selection, extra for an exit row.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'll be a wet blanket & say I'm generally quite underwhelmed by what I've seen from JetStar, Tiger Airways and now Air Asia on the really long hauls. Fares get so loaded with taxes and junk fees (the junk fees often the real source of revenue for the airline) that the quoted fare in the big type is pretty meaningless. Travelers should demand $0 every flight every day, by yiminy!

Playing the unbundling game is the other piece, as it makes it harder for travelers to do apples-to-apples comparisons with the legacies. I think the bet is that the LCCs will still come out lower, but not nearly as much so as the unwary customer will first think. There might well be junk fees that don't exist on the legacy or are lower, and you've got charges like the baggage that could be significant for some people.

There has been skepticism about LCCs maintaining an advantage with longer routes, and this is a peek into how they'll approach it.

I think where it's all leading is to truth-in-advertising laws for print or TV. The fare in the big type bears so little relation to what you might actually pay that it's too much like bait-and-switch. If they had to advertise all-in fares with any mandatory charges included and also had to prominently mention that any checked luggage or food would be charged I think it would curb some of the nickel and diming and help customers. This kind of opacity in the pricing mechanism is ultimately VERY consumer-unfriendly and (deliberately) makes it harder to compare offerings.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 1:19 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I'll agree that in general the pricing has been pretty underwhelming - at least in Australia the prices that are advertised in the press or on the front pages of websites have to be the all in prices, as opposed to the price that first pops up on the search engines for any of the airlines. But still, the addition of extra charges for food, luggage, seating allocations, credit card surcharges and the like all but erode the gap with legacy carriers (especially some of the fares the likes of Royal Brunei, Malaysian Airlines and Thai Airways seem to offer over low season periods out of Australia).
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:34 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
With Tiger I did once manage to get a dirt cheap fare for PER-SIN return, but I've never been able to repeat it and usually they're only a little way behind QANTAS in price. It's very disappointing, given how they plug how much cheaper they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.