Wiki Posts
Search

UA Intl First Class is a Poor Product

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
UA Intl First Class is a Poor Product

Very under whelmed by the service in international First Class!

I took my first UA international First Class flight today - SFO to LHR. I have been on numerous UA Business Class flights and measured my experiences against this First Class experience. The service was a disappointment – had better service on WN. In mid flight my wife asks for a snack. The FA said, "we have grapes and cheese only." I jump in and said, "in Business don't you have the sandwiches, pretzels, chocolates, etc?" She said, "they may, but we do not get that in First Class." It was obvious that she was blowing us off. So, I went to the upper Business section on the 742 and the FA gave me sandwiches, etc. I came back down to First carrying the items and the "supervisor" was there. She was directly in my path and asked what I was doing. I told her it was "disturbing" that I had to go get these for my wife and the FA would not.

It is not just this issue that brings me to form my negative First Class opinion. I believe that the UA Business Class is a good product/value. First Class is a joke given the extra cost - you only get a better seat.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:54 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Does WN serve good grapes and cheese?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No doubt United is consistently inconsistent. That's their biggest weakness. I have received better service on UA than SQ (or more to my liking, I should say), and received service that is beyond human respect. Unfortunately it sounds like you got an awful purser, which can lead to a pretty miserable flight.

Unfortunately I think the comparisan to WN is awful. I expect the same amount of respect and courtesy at McDonald's as I do at an expensive restaurant. It's the detail that matters.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MIKEM
Very under whelmed by the service in international First Class!

I took my first UA international First Class flight today - SFO to LHR. I have been on numerous UA Business Class flights and measured my experiences against this First Class experience. The service was a disappointment – had better service on WN. In mid flight my wife asks for a snack. The FA said, "we have grapes and cheese only." I jump in and said, "in Business don't you have the sandwiches, pretzels, chocolates, etc?" She said, "they may, but we do not get that in First Class." It was obvious that she was blowing us off. So, I went to the upper Business section on the 742 and the FA gave me sandwiches, etc. I came back down to First carrying the items and the "supervisor" was there. She was directly in my path and asked what I was doing. I told her it was "disturbing" that I had to go get these for my wife and the FA would not.

It is not just this issue that brings me to form my negative First Class opinion. I believe that the UA Business Class is a good product/value. First Class is a joke given the extra cost - you only get a better seat.
That's just absurd.

It makes one wonder what good the hard-product F upgrade will do if the FAs have attitudes like this.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
While UA F is not a competitive International F product, the interaction with the FA that you describe should NEVER happen... Unfortunately on UA, it does happen.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Does WN serve good grapes and cheese?
I did get a free tooth brush
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
First timer

I flew F for the first time between Sydney and SFO recently. The "welcome aboard" drink was in a plastic container. Plastic! In F?!! The FAs (mostly women) were, let's be charitable, homely types. Service was pretty much non-existent except at times when there was a meal to be served. The rest of the time there was, occasionally, an FA sitting in the jump seat reading a magazine and assiduously ignoring any and all passengers. I'm glad it was my company paying and not me. Next time I'll tell them not to waste their money, and to leave me in J
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I flew F for the first time between Sydney and SFO recently. The "welcome aboard" drink was in a plastic container. Plastic! In F?!! The FAs (mostly women) were, let's be charitable, homely types. Service was pretty much non-existent except at times when there was a meal to be served. The rest of the time there was, occasionally, an FA sitting in the jump seat reading a magazine and assiduously ignoring any and all passengers. I'm glad it was my company paying and not me. Next time I'll tell them not to waste their money, and to leave me in J
Or pay for a worthwhile F on QF. ^
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "welcome aboard" drink was in a plastic container. Plastic! In F?!!
It's for security reasons.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA, IB, FB
I thought it was not possible anymore to move from one cabin to another
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Why not tell them to put you on QF F?

qasr beats me to suggest QF F
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JUANMA
It is possible, just now allowed.

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I came back down to First carrying the items and the "supervisor" was there. She was directly in my path and asked what I was doing. I told her it was "disturbing" that I had to go get these for my wife and the FA would not.
Assuming this denotes "the onboard supervisor", what was her response?

IME, with four long-haul F segments this year so far, I would suggest trying it a couple more times before summarily dismissing it. Nothing is perfect, but when you get a good crew in F, it's an experience you don't want to end.

FWIW, on my flights (all between the US and Oz), there were always finger snacks, even if the crew wasn't superlative. I just wandered back and looked around until someone smacked my hand

Pat
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JUANMA
Usually the announcement says to just use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin, but I believe that's also a policy. To be fair, SQ often makes the same (or similar) announcement, but they don't usually enforce it for premium passengers.

Last year rch4u and I were flying PS to JFK and were talking to FA's in the coach galley, and I believe the purser was even there as well, and they were fine with it. Little did we know that one of the delightful C FA's was going to put down his (or was it that lady that said she didn't like working PS?) reading materials and tell us to return to our cabin.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:19 pm

i would concur with op..i flew hkg to sfo in first class and found that with the exception of a flat bed..nothing else struck me as being incrementally better than business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.