Passengers, there may be a bomb on board. Please stay seated for 30 minutes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Threat Forces Plane to Return to Seattle

By Associated Press
July 25, 2007, 5:01 PM EDT

SEATTLE -- A bomb threat Wednesday forced a Memphis-bound flight to return to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, though authorities did not believe a bomb was on board, an airport spokeswoman said.

Airport police were questioning a man who told a gate agent there was a bomb on Northwest Airlines Flight 980 shortly after the plane left Seattle around 12:33 p.m., airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt said...

The plane returned to the airport around 1:15 or 1:20 p.m., Betancourt said. About a half-hour later the plane remained on the tarmac, its passengers and crew still inside.

http://tinyurl.com/3278zk
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thankyou for posting this breaking news item. ^
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Thankyou for posting this breaking news item. ^
I think it's a breaking news story about an idiot who's now in big trouble. Since SEA is my usual home airport it's of particular interest and it never fails to raise my eyebrows when a plane that's been threatened with a bomb on board sits on the tarmac with pax and crew inside for a lengthy period of time.

I wouldn't doubt that authorities knew with certainty that this was a hoax even before the plane returned but still... "If you hear a loud bang, please ring your call button."
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Keep him in jail until after SeaDoo. I'll be flying up there in just over 2 weeks.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Threat Forces Plane to Return to Seattle

SEATTLE (AP) -- A man who had missed his flight said there was a bomb aboard the plane Wednesday, forcing it to return to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport even though authorities did not believe the threat was legitimate, an airport spokeswoman said.

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070725/plane...reat.html?.v=2
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=260587
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
For a second there, I thought maybe Chertoff had posted that thread title!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by Fredd
The plane returned to the airport around 1:15 or 1:20 p.m., Betancourt said. About a half-hour later the plane remained on the tarmac, its passengers and crew still inside.
I think it's a good thing to keep any plane away from the gate area if it might have a bomb on it. That said, it would have also been nice to get the pax offloaded... do they have any wheelie-stairs at SEA?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I think it's a good thing to keep any plane away from the gate area if it might have a bomb on it. That said, it would have also been nice to get the pax offloaded... do they have any wheelie-stairs at SEA?
i believe that all airports must have wheelie-stairs in the event that there is a power failure and the jet-bridges will not work or for a situation exactly like this where a plane is brought in as an emergency and must be kept away from the terminal.

also, good discussion over here as well: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718402

can mod's merge?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
i believe that all airports must have wheelie-stairs in the even that ther eis a power fialure and the jetbridges will not work or for a situation exactly like this where a plane is brought in as an emergency and must be kept away from the terminal.

also, good discussion over here as well: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718402

can mod's merge?
See Post #8 in that other thread.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:12 am
Suspended

Also, they didn`t know if the threat was real. What if it were and the minute they started de-boarding the passengers (or worst case the hostages) and the plane would have been blown up.
I think they alwys make sure there is no bomb first and no hostage situation and than go from there.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SwissCircle
Also, they didn`t know if the threat was real. What if it were and the minute they started de-boarding the passengers (or worst case the hostages) and the plane would have been blown up.
I think they alwys make sure there is no bomb first and no hostage situation and than go from there.
see post #16 in the other thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718402). the needs of the many outweigh tthe needs of the few
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by goalie
see post #16 in the other thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718402). the needs of the many outweigh tthe needs of the few
"...or the one." was the way that quote ended. If the putz who couldn't be on time for his flight remembered that, he might not have been so stupid.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by CO FF
"...or the one." was the way that quote ended. If the putz who couldn't be on time for his flight remembered that, he might not have been so stupid.
my bad (i'll now serve my penalty ) and putz is a good word to describe this pax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.