Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New 14 day cancellation policy for awards? (Now clarified by SPG - it's not the case)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 14 day cancellation policy for awards? (Now clarified by SPG - it's not the case)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club

I don't know if cancellation policies have changed everywhere, but this is what I've found for different properties around the US & Canada; Maine, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Ontario (Canada). This was while redeeming Starpoints on the new SPG.com.

New Cancellation policy for awards;
Cancellation Policy
Cancel by 6PM Hotel time 14 Days prior to avoid 1 Night penalty!
Fourteen days, (14) days, two weeks!

Below is the complete terms & conditions, it was the same thing for all the properties that I have searched;

Terms & Conditions
The free night offered with any Fifth Night Free Award applies only to the fifth consecutive night within the same stay for which that award was ordered. There will be no Starpoint refund or free night credit for any unused portion of a Fifth Night Free Award.
Minimum of 2,000 Starpoints needed to redeem for a free weekend night at a Category 1 hotel. Number of Starpoints needed for a free night varies by hotel category. During peak seasons, some properties will charge higher Starpoint rates. Please click the Starpoint total for rate details at that particular hotel. To find the optimal time to redeem, take a look at peak season date ranges for Category 5, Category 6 and Category 7.
Starpoint rates listed and no blackout dates are for standard rooms only (as defined by each property). Upgraded rooms, including upgrades based on size, view, services, suites, are available at a higher Starpoint cost, as determined by each property, and must be booked through your local customer contact center.
Some of the Category 7 properties do not have standard rooms. All rooms at the Bora Bora Nui & Resort Spa and St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, Le Méridien Bora Bora and W Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, The Resort at Singer Island, and Mystique, Santorini, Greece are suites or villas; therefore, Starpoint Awards reservations must be booked at a higher Starpoint rate through your local customer contact center.
Cancellation Policy
Cancel by 6PM Hotel time 14 Days prior to avoid 1 Night penalty
Notes
There may not be a room available with your specified preferences when you arrive, but the hotel will do its best to accommodate you. When booking award reservations, Starwood Preferred Guests® are guaranteed the best available standard rooms at the time of check in.
Some hotels charge per-night resort fees payable at check-in. These fees may not be paid for with Starpoints. Please contact the hotel for more information.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 22, 2007 at 5:46 am
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:40 am

i really hope this is a mistake
when i tried to book a dummy award at the sheraton long island next week, this 14 day policy came up. if thats a new rule, that would ruin the spg program...

r

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I don't know if cancellation policies have changed everywhere, but this is what I've found for different properties around the US & Canada; Maine, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Ontario (Canada). This was while redeeming Starpoints on the new SPG.com.

New Cancellation policy for awards;
Cancellation Policy
Cancel by 6PM Hotel time 14 Days prior to avoid 1 Night penalty!
Fourteen days, (14) days, two weeks!

Below is the complete terms & conditions, it was the same things for all property I've searched;

Terms & Conditions
The free night offered with any Fifth Night Free Award applies only to the fifth consecutive night within the same stay for which that award was ordered. There will be no Starpoint refund or free night credit for any unused portion of a Fifth Night Free Award.
Minimum of 2,000 Starpoints needed to redeem for a free weekend night at a Category 1 hotel. Number of Starpoints needed for a free night varies by hotel category. During peak seasons, some properties will charge higher Starpoint rates. Please click the Starpoint total for rate details at that particular hotel. To find the optimal time to redeem, take a look at peak season date ranges for Category 5, Category 6 and Category 7.
Starpoint rates listed and no blackout dates are for standard rooms only (as defined by each property). Upgraded rooms, including upgrades based on size, view, services, suites, are available at a higher Starpoint cost, as determined by each property, and must be booked through your local customer contact center.
Some of the Category 7 properties do not have standard rooms. All rooms at the Bora Bora Nui & Resort Spa and St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, Le Méridien Bora Bora and W Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, The Resort at Singer Island, and Mystique, Santorini, Greece are suites or villas; therefore, Starpoint Awards reservations must be booked at a higher Starpoint rate through your local customer contact center.
Cancellation Policy
Cancel by 6PM Hotel time 14 Days prior to avoid 1 Night penalty
Notes
There may not be a room available with your specified preferences when you arrive, but the hotel will do its best to accommodate you. When booking award reservations, Starwood Preferred Guests® are guaranteed the best available standard rooms at the time of check in.
Some hotels charge per-night resort fees payable at check-in. These fees may not be paid for with Starpoints. Please contact the hotel for more information.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
If this is not a mistake, they have one sneaky way of doing it...
If so, I'll also have to change my screenname to NBMRMEMBER; New Brunswick Marriott Rewards Member.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 23, 2007 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
William,

Please speak up. Why was there no advance notice of this change? Did Starwood even let you know about it? We need your pearls of wisdom on this one.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:55 am

I can understand 1-2 days before but 2 weeks

If this is true Starwood should have given us a heads up.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just checked it and it's true on the one property I checked (four points chicago).

This is extremely egregious. A 14 day advance policy can only be considered punitive and greedy. Not to mention that it will ensure all the work on the new site will be greeting with jeers.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
I checked a couple of properties just for fun and they all had the same T&Cs, so someone moved this to a 14 day cancellation policy -- if I was notified of that change, I certaintly don't remember.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
This is extremely egregious. A 14 day advance policy can only be considered punitive and greedy.
I agree.

Maybe this was the 'trade off" with the Starwood properties for the "new and improved" cash & points
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I kind of like this rule. This way a lot of rooms will become available two weeks before I make my award reservation (which I normally do two weeks in advance anyway).

I looked at an award reservation I made 5 days ago and it doesn't have this two-week rule. Did it just begin today? Perhaps it is a new website bug?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:41 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
I kind of like this rule. This way a lot of rooms will become available two weeks before I make my award reservation (which I normally do two weeks in advance anyway).

I looked at an award reservation I made 5 days ago and it doesn't have this two-week rule. Did it just begin today? Perhaps it is a new website bug?
The first time you have to pay rack rate at a cat 6, you'll sing a different tune.
Imagine being sick and having to cancel a trip, and you have to pay $2000 for the first night of 3 hotels in Italy (Gritti Palace, St. Regis Rome, St. Regis Florence).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:26 pm

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:49 pm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Imagine being sick and having to cancel a trip, and you have to pay $2000 for the first night
What leads you to believe the cancellation penalty would be assessed in money rather than points? ( Money could be better if you had insurance.)

Last edited by mia; Jul 21, 2007 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The first time you have to pay rack rate at a cat 6, you'll sing a different tune.
Imagine being sick and having to cancel a trip, and you have to pay $2000 for the first night of 3 hotels in Italy (Gritti Palace, St. Regis Rome, St. Regis Florence).
Why assume the worst? In my experience every time I have missed a cancellation deadline due to serious unforeseen circumstances, Starwood has taken care of me.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Why assume the worst? In my experience every time I have missed a cancellation deadline due to serious unforeseen circumstances, Starwood has taken care of me.
The one time I did it, I had to move a mountain to get it forgiven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.