Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

New *A lounge now open at LAX TBIT

Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press...thAmerica.html

"This lounge in Los Angeles is the third Star Alliance-branded lounge around the world; the other two are in Zurich, Switzerland and Nagoya, Japan respectively. Star Alliance is currently developing two other lounges at London Heathrow Airport Terminal 1 and at Paris Charles de Gaulle Terminal 1, both slated to open in 2008.

The lounge is open to Star Alliance Gold members as well as First and Business Class passengers holding a ticket on any of the six resident alliance airlines operating from the international terminal: ANA, Asiana, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, SWISS and THAI. These six airlines offer 74 weekly international flights out of Los Angeles.

Passengers at the lounge will be able to enjoy an assortment of food and beverages from the home countries of the resident Star Alliance airlines. There will be a rotating selection of premium wines, champagnes and beers from the USA and also from Germany, Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Singapore and Thailand. Depending on the time of day, appropriate breakfast, lunch and dinner foods will be served, including hot soups, noodles and sushi.

Passengers can choose to unwind in the lounge areas with food and drinks, take a shower or use the business centers in both the First and Business Class sections, which are equipped with free wireless internet connections, telephones and fax/copy/scan/print machines."
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
well, I'm flying lh out of lax right now, July 19, and I'm told the lounge opens tommorow. Oh well!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EXCELLENT! I will be flying SQ11 in F a week from today, so will obviously take a bunch of pictures. Can't wait to hear other reports before then! Anyone want to guess how nice it is?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what happens if *A crumbles?

Also am curious as to how this is funded? Obviously the user airlines all chip in...but it must be a logistical nightmare, I'd think.

Now if they could gut TBIT and bring it out of the 80s, LAX wouldn't be half bad.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by UNITED959

Now if they could gut TBIT and bring it out of the 80s, LAX wouldn't be half bad.
They're spending $650 million to do just that.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
2 pics are here already.

F.R.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonySCV
They're spending $650 million to do just that.
Though I would not hold my breath in seeing a new facelift anytime soon.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyinruddl
2 pics are here already.
I think it's hilarious that they named the images elegant_interior_design1 and elegant_interior_design2.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
No elite status or anything like that to speak of--but domestically we usually buy lounge day passes with whichever carrier I'm on day-of-departure.

Is it possible to do this at TBIT at one of the new alliance lounges (or any lounge, for that matter?) We're flying out on EVA on L(Elite) class in November, if that makes any difference.

Posted something about this previously and not many people knew the answer--but some intimated that we'd have to use whichever lounge EVA uses (in this case it would be the yet-to-be-opened non-Alliance lounge).

Didn't know if it was possible to utilize the lounge of an airline (or in this case, alliance) that you're not flying on that day for a premium.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Strange...the press release is dated 17 July, and the photos in the link posted above are dated 18 July. I just flew on SQ 11 in F on 18 July. SQ pointed me to the interim F lounge, but I would have loved to check out the F side of the new *A lounge. At least I will get to pass though on my return next week!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikew99
....At least I will get to pass though on my return next week!
How? Those lounges are for international departures.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikew99
Strange...the press release is dated 17 July, and the photos in the link posted above are dated 18 July. I just flew on SQ 11 in F on 18 July. SQ pointed me to the interim F lounge, but I would have loved to check out the F side of the new *A lounge. At least I will get to pass though on my return next week!
They pointed you to the interim lounge because the new lounge wasn't open yet.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
They pointed you to the interim lounge because the new lounge wasn't open yet.

Anyone visit yet? it should have been open for a few days now?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:00 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TerryK
How? Those lounges are for international departures.
I didn't take note of whether the new *A lounge is located landside or not, so you might be right!

I might have to live vicariously through the new reports here.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up *A Lounge Opened on July 24th

*A lounge in TBIT finally opened today. ^

It is a vast improvement from the old lounges or the interim lounge, although that's not saying much.

There are four new lounges, Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam and LAX International (shared), each take up half a floor. Only the Stat Alliance lounge is open today, others are still being finished. They are on the 4th and 5th floor, after security check, where the old lounges were.

Some nice features:
1) Modern decor, just like the web site photo.
2) 8 new shower rooms.:-:
3) Free fast wired and wireless internet. ^
4) Much larger than the old lounges with open view of runway.

Some letdowns:
1) Washrooms are the refurbished old ones. They are brand new but small as before. I don't understand why they built 8 new shower rooms without adding washroom space.
2) The overall lounge area is still relatively small. It may get pretty crowded during busy hours.
3) F&B is limited. In fact, it is not much better than the interim lounge.
4) SQ no longer allows *G and PPS members to use first class section for this lounge since it is a contracted lounge. Only passengers flying First Class get to use the first class section.

No photos, sorry! I forgot to bring my camera.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.