Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bonaventure in FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 8/31/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)

http://bonaventure.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Quick summary about the location:
Located in a nice quiet neighborhood, about 20 mts west of Fort Lauderdale and 10 minutes from Sawgrass Mills mall. It can be difficult to find had I not previously google map the address. The hotel has nine, four-stories buildings with two elevators in each building and three pools. The main pool has a nice waterfall and separate hot tub. Free parking for hotel guests and visitors.

I stayed at this location over the weekend for my birthday gettogether and I must say overall I had a positive experience.

I stayed in their suite which has a separate bedroom, two flatscreen TV's, a pull-out queensize sofa, large size main bathroom with a closet, tub, separate shower stall and toilet room with a bidet. The kitchen has mini fridge under the bar area, a stove, microwave and a sink. Next to the kitchen is a smaller bathroom with just the toilet and sink. There's a dining table for four in the living room, a workdesk and IPOD workstation in the bedroom and a furnished balcony. Internet is available but costs extra.

The hotel has a nice nature walk, which we experienced towards the end of the night. My friend brought his bright flashlight along and we were able to see couple snakes, turtles, frogs and a raccoon.

Breakfast for two was included in the room rate, thanks to AAA. The breakfast was a buffet, with bacon, sausage, egg, etc. There were different types of juice, a separate station for different types of cheese, smoke salmons, cereal and fruit. We just had to pay the taxes and gratuities.

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The wakeup call done by a person, not a machine. There was no Do Not Disturb sign but I was able to tell the cleaning crew to skip my room so we can sleep in. We were granted a late checkout time of 2 pm.

I had such a great experience at this location, despite being told by hotel security to keep our noise down
I look froward to my next stay at this location.

-Rick

The negatives:
I requested a room facing the main pool. At check-in, I was told I got it but it's on the first floor. I asked if I can be moved to a room located in higher floors and was told they have one in third floor. I arrived to the room only to find it has a lake view, not a pool view. Too late to change because my girl friends had already decorated the room with birthday decorations. Also, the door to the second bathroom would not lock. Last, for some reason the AC did not blow strong enough to keep the room cool.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Pictures

I took some pictures of the room. I had more but there are passed out people in the pictures so I'd rather not post them

http://www.asianrick.com/misc/hyattweston/
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:09 pm
pdb

I also stayed at the property, recently. Upgraded, upon request, to a suite; the staff was very friendly; the breakfast buffet was outstanding with regard to quality as well as selection (and the DIA GP coupons covered tax+tip, as well).

For shopaholics, this is a well-situated property. (It used to be operated by Wyndham.)
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, MR Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Had two separate one night stays at this property over the past two weeks, and pretty much echo the comments above. The hotel is pretty isolated itself, as unless you're planning to be in Weston or go shopping at Sawgrass Mills, it's on the outskirts of the main areas of South Florida.

Nine different buildings comprise the site - both rooms (in 2 different bldgs on different sides of the property) were well maintained and allowed for views of the complex or the Bonaventure Golf Club behind the hotel.

Dislikes: LCD tvs in the rooms, however, no digital service - thus, picture quality was poor. No towels or rugs in the bathrooms, which were large. Way too many people working in the restaurant at breakfast - people watching you while you tried to eat...

Would stay at the property again if in the area west of FLL.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:59 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I believe this is a recent remodel. Rooms were well done and are attractive. Marble entry with half bath. Outside entry. Convenient parking and elevator.

My room was a suite w/ separate bedroom. 2 flatscreen TV's. Large master bath w/ closet, tub, separate shower stall and toilet room with separate bidet. The kitchen has larger than usual mini fridge, a stove, microwave and a sink - but no utensils, dinnerware, etc. Dining table for four in the living room, a desk in BR. Large, furnished balcony.

Diamond breakfast coupons covered continental OR $8.95 towards other breakfast. Tip/tax not included. Free internet is also a diamond benefit. I was upgraded to a suite w/out using cert - hotel is fairly empty, but have heard that if there are suites available, will always be upgraded.

A/C worked fine - one thermostat in suite.

Friendly staff.

I was on a buy2, get 3 package - and the rate is $89. Best bargain ever, even if it is Aug in FLA......this is a great property.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:43 am

Update to my review in #7:

Re the breakfast: rather odd. On the last day, I forgot to take the cert. Went to the front desk and asked for a new one. No problem - but THIS cert was for a complete buffet breakfast or menu items' to a comparable cost. (and that would be a LOT of menu items.) So am unsure if I received the wrong certs on check-in; or today's was incorrect.

During the stay ordered room service, which arrived timely, hot and as ordered. Food was better than average; especially considering that it was 10:30PM when ordered and this is a complex of buildings (rather than) one large hotel.

The staff here has been truly excellent. I have already made plans for a return stay with friends.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We stayed here recently so SWMBO could visit Sawgrass for some retail therapy. Agree withy other posts - nice hotel with good Diamond GP benefits. Only problem is that at check in I was given bf voucher for 1 and when I questioned this I was told that was Hyatt policy so pulled out GP T&C's which resulted in another voucher. Voucher covered our chosen items inc tax and gratuity which was a surprise.

Will definitely stay again as great price and good location. Also the staff were generally very friendly
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Only problem is that at check in I was given bf voucher for 1 and when I questioned this I was told that was Hyatt policy so pulled out GP T&C's which resulted in another voucher. Voucher covered our chosen items inc tax and gratuity which was a surprise.
I realize that Diamond procedures are probably different. This property also offers business plan, which includes bk for only one - maybe the clerk was confused about that.

Also: at this property, if you stay on a breakfast-inclusive package, they do not give vouchers per se - instead, they give a letter that is to be presented to the server at each breakfast. I have the letter from my last stay in front of me - it says: "Full breakfast for each registered adult guest up to 2 guests, in the Banyan Restaurant".
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:49 pm

Anyone happen to know of any email address to contact anyone at this hotel? I have the phone number, but am looking to email some requests for an upcoming honeymoon stay. I have no status with Hyatt, this is my first ever stay with a Hyatt, so looking to see whatever may be available. Thanks if so!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:22 am
pdb

Originally Posted by jasondaub
Anyone happen to know of any email address to contact anyone at this hotel? I have the phone number, but am looking to email some requests for an upcoming honeymoon stay. I have no status with Hyatt, this is my first ever stay with a Hyatt, so looking to see whatever may be available. Thanks if so!
It is frustrating when the property doesn't show its email address. In the case of this property, the front desk manager's email address is: [email protected].

You might also want to use the e-Concierge to select different activities https://bonaventure.hyatte-concierge.com/Login.aspx

Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Can anybody help me compare this hotel to the Westin Diplomat ? What I understand it is mainly beachfront versus 20min drive to beach, but I would like to get a better picture about:

- pool and leisure facilities
- kids friendliness
- Diamond vs Platinum treatment
- rooms (sizes, last update, etc.)
- extra charges (parking, resort fees, restaurant prices)

thks !
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by banzani
Can anybody help me compare this hotel to the Westin Diplomat ? What I understand it is mainly beachfront versus 20min drive to beach, but I would like to get a better picture about:

- pool and leisure facilities
- kids friendliness
- Diamond vs Platinum treatment
- rooms (sizes, last update, etc.)
- extra charges (parking, resort fees, restaurant prices)

thks !
Three pools I think, we were at the far left side of the resort and there was a small pool area just for our block but two larger ones. It's on a golf course and there is also table tennis.

Lots of kids when we were there - there was a kids "beach" area I think

We got upgraded to a huge suite as Diamond with free breakfast, which was good

No extras and restaurant prices looked reasonable but lots of restaurants and take aways within 5 minute drive
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I've done some mattress runs here, and also stayed when our yard was being dug up for installation of some underground pipes. I do like the property.

The guest rooms are located in nine four-story buildings - close enough to easily walk to the pool and restaurant, but affording a nice, uncrowded feel. Parking is free, and each of the nine buildings have parking spaces immediately adjacent. Paid valet paring is available, but it seems superfluous, given the layout of the property.

My understanding is that Diamonds get full suites when occupancy allows (like the Diplomat, the hotel stresses conferences, although smaller ones as it has one-half the room count of the Diplomat), or at least one of the executive rooms with wet bar and counter-top seating. As a Plat, room upgrades have been iffy, but I did get a full suite once last year - they're quite nice

Besides golf at the adjacent Bonaventure courses, the Weston Tennis Center, run by the Cliff Drysdale organization, is located across the street from the hotel. I don't know what the cost is to play, or if guests receive a discounted price:

http://www.cliffdrysdale.com/locatio.../wtc.club.html

On my various stays, I've always seen plenty of families, all of whom seem to be having a good time.

Plenty of dining options within a few minutes drive - everything from the offerings in the Weston Town Center to the restaurant in the only Ikea in South Florida (ummm, Swedish meatballs)
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. I did not enjoy my stay a few months ago. I was UGed to a suite, but did not care for its worn and rather unattractive decor. Staff was friendly enough but not very efficient. Dirty plates sat outside an adjacent door for at least 12 hours. BP printer in the lobby was out of ink (which the front desk staff knew) but hadn't bothered to take the printer away, reflect this in a sign or stop me from wasting my time trying to get the thing to print.
Generally attractively priced, but it would take more than that to get me back.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:29 am

This property seems to have a love/hate relationship with many travelers - I am in the former; but do agree it does have a few shortcomings.

As a Diamond I have always been u'graded to a 1BR suite - which has 1 1/2 baths; and kitchenette - great for a family. (This is also what you get if you use a suite upgrade cert) The master baths are HUGE. I have also always been placed overlooking the waterfall pool, unless I requested lakefront/golf course. Nice large balconies/patios. The decor is not contemporary, but I have not experienced the worn furniture mentioned by another. I like the parking, the lower buildings - has an "Old Florida" resort feel....the landscaping is very mature; it is a pretty property with lots of walkways. Which can be a downside - the buildings are not connected with covered walkways, so rain can be a problem. If your children are younger, there is a very pretty fish pond near the restaurant, ducks to feed, huge lobby aquarium, etc. I have not seen a Camp Hyatt program here.

There are 2 restaurants. The main restaurant is fairly reasonable, and is where you will redeem your b'fast coupons. Nice (but standard) Hyatt buffet. Overlooks the pool area. I have also had dinner here, the food was good if not superlative, but as others have said, lots of choices in the area. The last time I was here there was a new restaurant manager (opening of Clearwater caused a lot of employee moves in So Fla!). There is also a (pricey) Steak Restaurant on property, which has been pretty highly recommended, but I have not eaten there.

There are 3 pools. The center pool with the waterfall, which you see in the website picture. The other 2 are standard pools. I have never seen any of them overcrowded.

A great spa on site - Red Door. If you are a costco certificate user, you can sign services to the room and then pay using your certificates. There is another pool at the spa, for those guests only.

I agree that some areas of service are a little spotty - NOT unfriendly, just always seems to have a lot of new(er) staff. Anything brought to the attention of the front desk was immediately corrected, but agree with former poster - why not just fix it?

If you want a contemporary property with stellar service, this isn't it. But overall, I will trade off the few shortcomings for the beauty and location. Rates are good and they do not nickel/dime you. Restaurants, shopping, parking and suite sizes are big pluses - to me, it is just nice (and a change) to be in a garden style property rather than a highrise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.