Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Removed old information
Print Wikipost

Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Arrow Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Any recent reviews on this property? We are planning a 6-night stay there in October using *wood points. . . . Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 27, 2009 at 4:10 pm Reason: 2005-6 thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/989321-westin-tokyo-2005-2006-master-thread.html
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Post Westin Tokyo

I am booked in at the Westin Tokyo for my free Friday/Saturday on the Asia/Pacific promotion. Is is better to book in at another Tokyo property, given we are staying Friday/Sat night, sounds like this property is far from the action?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
There is no better Starwood to book in Tokyo. If Roppongi is where the action you refer to, you can take the subway to get there for only 2-3 stops away. As a Platinum, you will have all the Executive floor benefit. They do have very few suites though. I only got 1 out of 5 stays. But it's a great property in a gracious area.

Originally Posted by guybaxy
I am booked in at the Westin Tokyo for my free Friday/Saturday on the Asia/Pacific promotion. Is is better to book in at another Tokyo property, given we are staying Friday/Sat night, sounds like this property is far from the action?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by jimmychang
There is no better Starwood to book in Tokyo. If Roppongi is where the action you refer to, you can take the subway to get there for only 2-3 stops away. As a Platinum, you will have all the Executive floor benefit. They do have very few suites though. I only got 1 out of 5 stays. But it's a great property in a gracious area.
I'm with Jimmychang on this. It is a complete myth to say that the Westin Tokyo is far from the action (sorry - it is one that I often hear on flyertalk).

Ebisu is one of the nicest, convenient and most sought after neighbourhoods in Tokyo. It has a huge choice of dining options a few minutes walk from the hotel It is one stop away from Shibuya (or around $10 to $12 in a taxi), it is easy train journey to Roppongi (or around $15 to $18 in a cab).

Taxi drivers may speak only Japanese and many have dreadful direction skills, but they will understand major place names - occasionally you will have to state Yebisu Garden no Westin Hotel (Yee bee suu Gaar-den no Ue-ston hotel) on the way back but hopefully that will be as bad as it gets!

All the other Starwoods are of notable poor quality and in far less convenient locations. Where as here the rooms are 42 sqm in size, in excellent condition, Westin beds, helpful staff, dull executive lounge (but you can take (a great buffet) breakfast downstairs - which I would 100% recommend).

Very little chance of a suite upgrade - they have very few - it does occasionally happen but most are either paid for or given as part of a deal with companies that hold events at the hotel.

Tokyo hotels and the Westin especially can become completely full or very expensive at weekends with Weddings (unless the date is unlucky) and young couples - so particularly good value to use the two free nights on a weekend there rather than anywhere else in Asia.

Last edited by websterlewis; Aug 5, 2007 at 12:14 am
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
All the other Starwoods are of notable poor quality
I wouldn't go to say all other Starwoods in Tokyo are of poor quality, especially the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo which is a new entry into SPG. I would say each property provides its own ups and downs and serves a multitude of purposes depending on the traveler.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
I wouldn't go to say all other Starwoods in Tokyo are of poor quality, especially the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo which is a new entry into SPG. I would say each property provides its own ups and downs and serves a multitude of purposes depending on the traveler.
I stayed a few times at the Sheraton Miyako when it first moved over to SPG as the price was quite a bit cheaper than Westin, but ultimately very disappointed. The rooms have been ok renovated but they did not bother touching the air distribution system and with 99% of the rooms having sealed windows this was a big problem for me - hence the relegation to the poor zone

Everything about the hotel IMHO is quite a lot of notches below the Westin (often but not always reflected in the price) and you would be very hard pushed to find decent eating options within a short walking distance - believe me I tried!

Having said that, if they ever sort out the air-con I would definitely consider going back for the occasional one nighter and anyone less sensitive than me to oxygen in-take should consider it if price matters above other considerations.

Ultimately Starwood should have a lot more impressive collection of hotels in one of the world's greatest cities than it currently has - with only the Westin being in any way or form a top class hotel.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re Miyako
Originally Posted by websterlewis
... and you would be very hard pushed to find decent eating options within a short walking distance - believe me I tried!
My family lives about 20 minutes walk to the North of the Miyako.

EDITED AND CUT (irrelevant to Westin thread) THE FOLLOWING AREA IS ACCESSIBLE TO THOSE STAYING AT THE WESTIN SO I'VE KEPT INFO HERE

There are plenty of upscale restaurant choices on Platinum Avenue itself (also known as Gaien Nishi Dori) just to the East of Shirokanedai station such as http://www.b-point.co.jp/ (Blue Point) 4,19,19 Shirokanedai
and Sakura Sakura, 5-15-10 Shiroganedai (on the other side of the avenue to Blue Point).
http://www.ilgrappolo-damiura.com/ is another option, 4-9-18 Shirokanedai (basement) as is the moderately priced http://www.boheme.jp/en/shirogane/home/location
On this map Platinum Avenue is the yellow road running North to South. The Westin is the hotel on the left.

Here's a list of just some of the restaurants on Platinum Avenue (purachino dori):

Japanese
ChaCha, 5792-5792, Shirokanedai 5-14-1
Cube Seasons, 5423-7745, Shirokanedai 5-17, 2,3fl.
Flavor of Japan Hizuki, 5798-7492, Shirokanedai 5-11-2
Kosen, 5447-8255, Shirokanedai 5-17-11
三合庵, Sangouan, 3444-3570, Shirokanedai 5-10-10
雫, Shizukum, 5449-4977, Shirokanedai 5-17-10, B1
利庵, Tosian, 3444-1741, Shirokanedai 5-17-2

French
L'ecailler, 6408-0879, Shirokanedai 5-3-8
Ozawa, 3442-1171, Shirokanedai 4-9-23

Italian:
Alberato, The House Shirogane, 3449-2662, Shirokanedai 4-9-19
Ristorante Luxor, 3446-6900, Shirokanedai 5-4-7
*(fusion) Stellato, 3442-5588, Shirokanedai 4-19-17

Bar Tsuya, http://r.gnavi.co.jp/a109400/, Shirokanedai 5-2-5 1F

MAP SHOWING PLATINUM AVENUE IN RELATION TO WESTIN
Westin is centre left - Platinum Avenue is marked in Yellow

At the North End of Platinum Avenue are the following restaurants:
Pizzeria Isola, 6-17-2 Shirokane (which is the red marker on the map)
Shirogane, Shirokanedai 6-16-28, 3rd Floor (above the Mercedes Benz showroom) for a more formal Japanese meal (lunch from ¥2k to ¥10k, dinner ¥6k upwards, Hanagoromo course ¥3k) or
甚六 Jinroku 3441-1436, Shirokanedai 6-23-2

I've started a thread in the Japan Forum for Miyako (and Westin) dining options - press the blue button below to go there
Originally Posted by LapLap
Shirokanedai Dining Options (AKA where to eat when you're at the Tokyo Miyako)

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 20, 2007 at 5:25 am
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Does anyone know the approx. price of a taxi ride between Haneda and the Westin, as there doesn't seem to be a limousine bus making the connection ?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, OWS
Is it more economical to take the Limousine Bus to the T-CAT station, or ANA Hotel, and take a cab from there?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CX881
Is it more economical to take the Limousine Bus to the T-CAT station, or ANA Hotel, and take a cab from there?
The economical option would be this;

From NRT take the Keisei line to Ueno (¥1,000 1hr 20 mins if you don't take the more expensive Skyliner) At Ueno take the JR Yamanote line (¥190 27 mins) or the Hibiya Metro line (¥240 31 mins) to Ebisu.

There is a long walk from the Keisei line to the other lines at Ueno - approx 10 mins connection time.

Because of this, I would recommend that you get off at Nippori station and not at Ueno and take the Yamanote line to Ebisu from there instead. Whole journey should take no more than 1 hour and 40 minutes and cost ¥1,250.

More info at www.hyperdia.com (you may need to untick the Ltd Express button to see the Non-Skyliner options) - Keisiei runs a frequent service to Nippori & Ueno.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:41 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
As we havd never been to Tokyo before we took the bus from nrt to westin, but to took too long, we arrv at nrt 6.30a, ex qantas fromm syd, waited an hour 7.30 for the bus, and didnt arrive until 9.30am, way too lonmg.

If I ever stayed there again, I would have taken the train to shinjuku and the yamaote line to ebisu, but its a long walk from ebisu station to the westin if you have bags

we had two nights there then we went to the hilton sinjunku for the 3 night package ast A$180 per night, so cheap, I am diamond and we got execyutive room and free flowing frencg champagne (piper), what a bargain. You couldt stay at Hilton syd for A$180/night!!!!!!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As we havd never been to Tokyo before we took the bus from nrt to westin, but to took too long, we arrv at nrt 6.30a, ex qantas fromm syd, waited an hour 7.30 for the bus, and didnt arrive until 9.30am, way too lonmg.

If I ever stayed there again, I would have taken the train to shinjuku and the yamaote line to ebisu, but its a long walk from ebisu station to the westin if you have bags
It would still be cheaper to get the Keisei line to Nippori and the Yamanote line to Ebisu rather than a NEX to Shinjuku (and NEXs to Shinjuku are few and far between). The NEX -Shinjuku-Ebisu option takes 1 hour 30 minutes, the Keisei via Nippori alternative only 10 minutes more with much more frequent trains. If you take the more expensive Skyliner to Nippori, this would be quicker still.

And once at Ebisu (or Meguro) just get a taxi - it will still be cheaper and faster than getting the Limousine Bus to this hotel.

Mind you, if you get a preloaded SUICA card at the airport, the cost difference between a Keisei train and a NEX becomes negligible - the main factor would be how long you'd have to wait for a NEX to Shinjuku (the connection from Keisei to JR Yamanote at Tokyo station is a very long one - 20 mins walk - and best avoided). - EDIT - not Keisei - I meant NEX but got confused with the Keiyo line at Tokyo - railroadtycoon clears this up in the next post - thanks!^

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 21, 2007 at 5:11 am
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Keisei railways doesn't go to Tokyo Station. I think you mean the Narita Express to Yamanote Line? It isn't too far but anything involving train stations, if you have loads of luggage is going to be a hassle. Thats the primary reason I suggest taking the direct limousine bus. If you don't have tons of luggage to battle your way through the station, or if you utilized the luggage delivery service from the Airport, making local train connections is an option.

If you are arriving in the morning the morning liner (the Morning Skyliner) is cheaper then a regular skyliner. But the price is about the same if you compare it with the Suica and NEX package which again comes with a Suica card.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:09 am

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Originally Posted by LapLap
(the connection from Keisei to JR Yamanote at Tokyo station is a very long one - 20 mins walk - and best avoided). - EDIT - not Keisei - I meant NEX but got confused with the Keiyo line at Tokyo - railroadtycoon clears this up in the next post - thanks!^
20 minutes? Hardly...up only about 1000 levels on an escalator. 5-10 minutes depending on how genki you are.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Fantastic Recent Stay

Below is a review I just submitted to TripAdvisor about our recent stay (Oct 4-10) at The Westin Tokyo. I hope it is helpful to someone considering staying there. It was a fabulous property:

After returning from a six-night stay at the Tokyo Westin, I must say that I am greatly suprised to re-read some of the negative comments on here regarding this hotel. Our experience at the Tokyo Westin was excellent.

We redeemed Starwood points for the six-night stay in a superior king-bedded room. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by all the staff in the motor coach area. Our bags were quickly whisked away and we were led to the check-in desk by one of the staff. The transition from the airport shuttle bus to the check-in desk was seemless and handled very professionally.

At check in, we were offered an upgrade to an Executive Floor room with breakfast and executive lounge privileges for 7000 yen a night (about $60 a night). (Since we are just Gold, we would not have received either of these otherwise). We figured it was worth it since would eliminate the stress of finding a place to have breakfast every morning. Plus, all those free drinks and appetizers do add up over the course of six days. We took the upgrade.

The room was very nice. We were in a corner king-bedded room on the 14th floor with a wonderful view of Shibuya, Shinjuku and Roppongi. As referenced in prior reviews, the decor is definitely more Western than Asian-influenced. However, the room was very tastefully decorated and the carpet, walls and furntiure were in excellent condition. The room had a separate sitting area with a couch, lounging chair, coffee table and cocktail table. Marble columns framed the sitting area. The bed was comfortable, but it is not your typical Westin Heavenly Bed. It is a bit firmer than those beds. There was also a makeup table and mirror adjacent to the bed. The bathroom had marble floors and accents. There was a separate shower and tub. The products were replenished daily and there is a kit with all sorts of items if you forget to bring some from home (e.g., toothbrush, toothpaste, etc).

Unlike other reports on here, we found the buffet breakfast to be perfectly acceptable and quite good. The breakfast selection includes: made to order eggs, scrambled eggs, oven-basked eggs, crispy and regular bacon, two different types of sausage links, potatoes (sometimes broiled, sometimes mashed), asparagus, rice, a daily chicken dish, a daily pasta dish, miso and other soups, all types of breads and pastries, pancakes, waffles, doughnuts, cereals, yogurt, and all kinds of Japanese breakfast items (including some sushi). There are all sorts of freshly squeezed juices, milk and excellent coffee. There is a bakery at the entrance to the restuarant that makes amazing desserts. We tried several over the course of our stay and they were always very, very good. The service at the breakfast restaurant and at the bakery was top notch. Glasses were refilled regularly and without request. The entire staff was extremely friendly, attentive and bent over backwards to please us.

We took advantage of the executive lounge on a daily basis. In addition to the drinks and snacks available throughout the day, there is a daily happy hour from 5:30-7:30 p.m. There were 6-8 different types of appetizers set up daily. The selection varied from day to day, so there was no way to get bored. The drinks included soft drinks, juices, beer, wine and liquor. Once again, the staff at the executive lounge was extremely friendly and attentive.

The common areas of the hotel are very well maintained. The lobby is gorgeous and there was no stench of smoke anywhere.

As for the hotel's location, it is located in the neighborhood of Ebisu. For those of you that want the craziness and lights of Shinjuku or hibuya, this is not your hotel. This hotel is a residential neighborhood and a bit secluded from the craziness of Tokyo nightlife. However, the Ebisu JR and subway stations are a brisk 5-minute walk from the hotel. There are even moving sidewalks to help you along the way. We found the location very convenient to moving around Tokyo on the JR and subway line, and it was quite nice to return to a quiet, more residential abode in the evenings after spending all day in the hussle of the city. Ebisu Garden Place is adjacent to the hotel and includes a Mitsukoshi department store, Beer Garden and Grill, Italian eaterie and other restuarants (Joel Robuchon is located in a beautiful mini-palace building), McDonald's and an office buiding that houses Morgan Stanley.

Overall, I must say that our experience at the Tokyo Westin ranks as one of the best we have had at any hotel worldwide. The service we received at the hotel from every staff member hotel-wide was top notch. I was actually very depressed to leave the Westin Tokyo and check into the Westin Osaka (but that is another review). We will definitely return to the Westin Tokyo when we are back in Tokyo, and we highly recommend it to others. We are truly shocked that this hotel is not rated higher on TripAdvisor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.