ORD: Gas Station Near Return Center?

Subscribe
Anyone have any tips about refilling anywhere near the return center at ORD? I looked up the "nearest" on Neverlost while I was stuck on the offramp, and it wanted to put me back on the freeway. No way I was going to do that with all the traffic, so I ended up eating the refueling charge.
There really isn't anything close. (Not even an overpriced, non-price-posting Chevron a.k.a. MCO). I come from the north, and the best location that I've found is on Touhy, east of Mannheim. (When leaving the station head west on Touhy, South on Mannheim, get on the I-190 access road to O'Hare and immediately exit at Bessie Coleman, Hertz will be right in front of you.)

If you're coming from the city, there's a station at River and Higgins. (Exit at River and go north to Higgins. Retrun to the airport via I-190 or take Higgins west to Mannheim, head south.)
^ ejmelton is correct - I've been to both those stations. IIRC, the one on Touhy is pretty close to the I-294, and I've been turning east after filling up, then heading south to O'Hare.

When returning from the south (I-294 northbound) I usually stop at the O'
Hare Oasis, just prior to the exit for O'Hare/River Rd (this is the unattended $0.80 toll plaza the signs in the Hertz office warn you about).
If coming from North...
I drive down from Milwaukee weekly and stop at the Oasis Stop off I-94. Sorry I dont remember the exit. It's about 20 miles from the airport, but if you really top the car off, it still looks "full".
Quote: If you're coming from the city, there's a station at River and Higgins. (Exit at River and go north to Higgins. Retrun to the airport via I-190 or take Higgins west to Mannheim, head south.)
This is a Mobil, and there's a McDonald's next door if you want to grab (gross) food.
I found that there are several very cheap places in Wood Dale, just west of the airport complex. Here's a Google Map of the approximate location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=15&iwloc=addr

It's about 8 miles from the gas stations in that area to the Hertz return center. I didn't mind it. I overfilled the tank by a few squeezes just to be safe, but I don't really think 8 miles off a freshly filled tank would be noticed.

It was perhaps 20-25 cents/gallon cheaper over there than right by the airport or slightly east or north I found. This was also Mem Day weekend for whatever that's worth.
If you are heading back from downtown via I-90(Kennedy) there is a Citgo just off of Cumberland (where the ORD Marriott and Ren are located) It's the first exit (Cumberland North/Higgens) and you can see the gas station from the end of the exit ramp. Access back onto I-90 is easy as well.

http://www.chicagogasprices.com/map_...000&sid=128125

Maybe a mile from Hertz.
Quote: ...I usually stop at the O'
Hare Oasis, just prior to the exit for O'Hare/River Rd (this is the unattended $0.80 toll plaza the signs in the Hertz office warn you about).
Ah! I was wondering about this. I actually made sure I had $0.80 because of the signs, but the route EverLost took to the Hertz return didn't involve any tolls.
Quote: Ah! I was wondering about this. I actually made sure I had $0.80 because of the signs, but the route EverLost took to the Hertz return didn't involve any tolls.
The tolls at ORD are my biggest gripe. As soon as I get off the plane I need to pay a toll. Like I carry a pocket full of change to the airport adn then the toll to drop off the car, just to make matters worse.
Quote: Like I carry a pocket full of change to the airport adn then the toll to drop off the car
I've packed a film canister full of coins in my carry-on just for those trips to ORD...