Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports with easy Pedestrian access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Airports with easy Pedestrian access

So, while killing time at CMH waiting to get into my rental, to keep it to a one day rental (and my flight was in the AM, plans in the area were in the PM) I walked down Intl. Gateway to hang at the McDonalds.

Was wondering, what airports int he US have the easiest, and hardest pedestrian access?

Another with easy ped. access is DCA, I believe.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
SEA has good pedestrian access to a number of hotels and restaurants in the area. I have frequent overnight connections through SEA and usually just walk across the street to the Doubletree or the Hilton.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:53 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
SEA has good pedestrian access to a number of hotels and restaurants in the area. I have frequent overnight connections through SEA and usually just walk across the street to the Doubletree or the Hilton.
There's single family homes just a few blocks away from SEA. You can literally walk home from the airport in like 5 minutes.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM
LGA

Walk out 94th street, up one long block to 23rd ave and there is a diner on the corner, and a bunch of other stuff nearby. .36miles according to google earth...
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:30 am

Programs: US CP, DL nothing
Originally Posted by PHLflying
Another with easy ped. access is DCA, I believe.
I second this. I've gone from sitting on an airplane to sitting on the metro in less than 10 minutes.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by cessnadriver
I second this. I've gone from sitting on an airplane to sitting on the metro in less than 10 minutes.
All without going outside....(well except the METRO platform which is covered)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
See this thread. Its most recent post is from late July 2006, so it's definitely well within bumpable range.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cessnadriver
You don't need pedestrian access to DCA to use the Metro, though I have walked in and out of DCA and agree that it's convenient. You just exit the terminal to the elevated Metro station on airport property.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
PHL if you can count walking to the SEPTA station and being downtown in half an hour. All covered, all an easy walk from any of the terminals.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't try to ride your bike home from MSP.
http://greencycles.blogspot.com/2007/06/overview.html
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
I think it goes without saying that DEN is the exact opposite of this. However, I believe that now you can legally ride a bike on Pena Blvd if that is your cup of tea.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
See this thread. Its most recent post is from late July 2006, so it's definitely well within bumpable range.
Definitely merge worthy.

My picks for easiest:
  • SNA (lots of hotels/restaurants within walking distance)
  • SFO (thanks to BART and proximity to "the city")
  • SAN (walk along the Bay, looking at the big Navy ships, then right into Little Italy... though I admit I've never done that myself)
(hmm... is there an unintended theme there?)

My picks for worst:
  • DFW (besides 2 Hyatts onsite, it's in no man's land)
  • MCI (talk about remote)

Dishonorable Mention - LHR (I just take every opportunity to bag on that hellhole of a pit)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:59 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
SYD: Sydney, Australia. City Circle (subway/train) station inside and literally steps from arrivals/departures. Mrs. kaukau and I went to/from the Grace Hotel in the CBD (Central Business District) as pedestrians, with a rollaboard each, with ease - for about AUD$14 each, each way.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
LCY - I used to walk to the (now-closed) Silvertown station from there, for easy access to North London and rail connections by-passing the centre, it was very handy!

I also had to walk back there with my bike after getting an puncture near the Ramada

As a penniless backpacker, I also remember walking to CNS, that was pretty easy.

AMS is rather more remote, but has plenty cycle lanes and footpaths (including a cycle tunnel under the taxiway) to reach the nearby towns of Hoofddorp, Badhoevedorp and Amstelveen.

LGW has the rather unique feature of a national cycle route (with footpath) running directly under the South Terminal. There is even a dedicated cycle lift from the path up to the terminal (just by the exit-only bridge from the station). I've also walked there before from nearby villages, where you could park your car for free before flying.

I arrived at CUZ during a taxi drivers' strike, and was pleased to find you can easily walk in from there, too.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:22 pm

Not in the U.S., but Princess Juliana International Airport in St Maarten is walkable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.