Wiki Posts
Search

USAir ranks worst in Consumer Reports airlines survey

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
USAir ranks worst in Consumer Reports airlines survey

The just published July issue of Consumer Reports shows USAir ranking 18th out of 18 in a rating by 23,000 readers. This was a pre-merger rating, but America West ranked 17th! So, no help there.

Interestingly, none of the so called legacy cariers made the top; CO coming in highest at #9 (Delta might have helped US at #10).
Top 3: Jetblue, Midwest, and Southwest.
Old May 29, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is what I hate about these, who did they ask? and what is it based on? Just like JD Power...

Kinda good but not really...I wonder how Jetblue is doing now?
Old May 29, 2007, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I cannot believe that CR surveyed people two years ago and are just now publishing it. I am a subscriber and I have e-mailed customer service to inquire about their research. If I receive a reply, I will let you know.

As to who they surveyed, I would assume their paper and online subscribers.
Old May 29, 2007, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

They do send out extensive questionnaires to their subscribers. If I recall correctly it was send out late last fall early winter just before the the merger (guess merger of websites etc) became official, hence US and AW were rated separately
Old May 29, 2007, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

More accurately: the survey was performed in February 2007, and a smaller follow-up poll performed in April, after the weather related problems for Jetblue in February and USAir in March. It did not change the ranking; Jetblue staying 1st, but US dropped points (and stayed last).
Old May 29, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
A poll of frequent travelers or business travelers would come up differently (not that US would be on top- maybe CO?). Still surprised that UA doesn't come out on top, with E+, 777s, etc.- and Ted can't be destroying its image.
Old May 29, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by pieper
More accurately: the survey was performed in February 2007, and a smaller follow-up poll performed in April, after the weather related problems for Jetblue in February and USAir in March. It did not change the ranking; Jetblue staying 1st, but US dropped points (and stayed last).
That is what I thought. The data could not be that old!
Old May 29, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
These surveys are all about reputation rather than direct experience, but that also matters a lot to a company that wants to make it. US has earned a pretty lousy reputation. Press releases do almost nothing to change this. It takes performance over time, especially avoiding the sort of disasters (baggage, computer systems, PHL mayhem) that get into the news and give people with no direct experience with US subconscious ill feelings toward the company.

JetBlue and Southwest both have reputations that go well beyond what they actually deliver. These too shall pass, but it takes time. Unless they start to deliver.
Old May 29, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by EricH
These surveys are all about reputation rather than direct experience
Being a long time subscriber to Consumer Reports and having filled out their questionnaire many times , their surveys are very much the opposite unless one believes that most responders don't answer honestly.

Jim
Old May 29, 2007, 10:13 pm

Reputation, image, and perception of a company by consumers do count. I also subscribe, have been surveyed, and I answer honestly as well.
Old May 29, 2007, 10:26 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by EricH
JetBlue and Southwest both have reputations that go well beyond what they actually deliver. These too shall pass, but it takes time. Unless they start to deliver.
Uhh, not so much. JetBlue and Southwest, notably Southwest, sets a very simple expectation: transportation from point A to point B at a fair price.

What differentiates them from almost everyone else (particularly Southwest) is that they deliver on that expectation with amazing regularity. They don't do what US (and to a certain extent all majors) try to do these days and be all things to all people--invariably doing none of them well and pissing most off at one point or another.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Uhh, not so much. JetBlue and Southwest, notably Southwest, sets a very simple expectation: transportation from point A to point B at a fair price.

What differentiates them from almost everyone else (particularly Southwest) is that they deliver on that expectation with amazing regularity. They don't do what US (and to a certain extent all majors) try to do these days and be all things to all people--invariably doing none of them well and pissing most off at one point or another.
Couldn't have put it better. I feel that US overpromises and underdelivers, whereas WN leaves people satisfied because they don't expect much in the first place.
Old May 30, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Couldn't have put it better. I feel that US overpromises and underdelivers, whereas WN leaves people satisfied because they don't expect much in the first place.
What is US over promising these days? I really expects WN service with a bad attitude.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: US-CP
What is US over promising these days?
Let's see...

Promise: "Unlimited upgrades"
Reality: Continual reduction in first class cabins

Promise: Two "complimentary" TA upgrades for chairmen
Reality: Obscenely overpriced fare classes upon which the upgrades can be used

Promise: Full system integration spring 2007
Reality: A system merger with problems of biblical proportions and glitches such as making nearly everyone who ever flew the airline a mid-tier elite

This is for starters. Seems they continue to promise quite a bit.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Karen_123987
Let's see...

Promise: "Unlimited upgrades"
Reality: Continual reduction in first class cabins

Promise: Two "complimentary" TA upgrades for chairmen
Reality: Obscenely overpriced fare classes upon which the upgrades can be used

Promise: Full system integration spring 2007
Reality: A system merger with problems of biblical proportions and glitches such as making nearly everyone who ever flew the airline a mid-tier elite

This is for starters. Seems they continue to promise quite a bit.
May I add to her accurate list:

"The World's Largest Low Fare Airline"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.