Wiki Posts
Search

Charlie Card question

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Charlie Card question

Can 2 people share one $10 Charlie card? We'll only be in Boston for 2 days, and won't ride more than 4 segments I think.
Is Westin Copley hotel closest to Back Bay station on Orange line? Or is it the Prudential station on Green line?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you looky here,
it seems that Back Bay on the Orange Line and Copley on the Green Line are pretty much the same distance, give or take a block.

As far as your second question, I'm not 100% sure on this one, although I'm leaning to "Yes" unless the T has imposed some sort of usage limit on the prepaid cards. But why not get 2 $5 cards? Or get something smaller and top it up as you go.
Old May 22, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
To my knowledge, two people can share a Charlie Card. Just "swipe" it twice.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think that two people can use it for simple fares, but if there are transfers involved I don't believe it calculates it all out right, as it doesn't know which fare to use to calculate the differences for multiple transfers.

It's probably faster to get two and not worry about it at all.
Old May 23, 2007, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by adamak
Is Westin Copley hotel closest to Back Bay station on Orange line? Or is it the Prudential station on Green line?
The Westin is closest to the Back Bay station on the Orange line (diagonally across the street), but it's also only about 100 yards from the Copley station on the Green line.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:03 am

There is actually a tunnel from the shopping plaza adjacent to the Westin to Back Bay. Copley (Green) is very short as well.

I have seen T agents "double swipe" cards for two pax before. So I don't see why not.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:13 am

note that the Green Line has much more frequent service than the Orange Line, especially on Sundays (where a rider can wait up to 15 minutes between trains!)
Old May 23, 2007, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Thanks all. How long does it take from airport to Westin on a Sat afternoon?
Old May 23, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold and Marriott Silver
Thanks all. How long does it take from airport to Westin on a Sat afternoon?
Just did this with our Charlie card last weekend no problems.

It will take about 15-20 minutes depending how many tourist are around
Old May 23, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Wink Our Charlie Card Experience

Can 2 people share one $10 Charlie card? We'll only be in Boston for 2 days, and won't ride more than 4 segments I think.

Thanks.
Can 2 people share the Charlie Card? Yes that what I and Dr. closecover did in our most recent trip to Boston. Just let your companion stand ahead of you, tap the little square at the turnstile, let your companion go through, tap the little square at the turnstile again, and let yourself go through.

If you really want to be frugal, like us, and you are certain you will not be riding more than 4 segments, put only $6.80 on your Charlie Card. The cost per ride is only $1.70. If you find that you will ride more than 4 times, you can always increase the value of your Charlie Card, there is no restricitions in terms of minimum amount or maximimum number of times you can increase value on your Chalie Card.

As for Orange line (Back Bay) or Green Line (Prudential or Copley), I would lean towards the Orange Line on a rainy day because you can get to the Westin via the underground tunnel between Back Bay Station and Copley Place. I would lean towards the Green Line if I had alot of baggage becuase to use the aformentioned tunnel between Back Bay Station and Copley Place you would have to descend and then climb a long set of steep stairs to use the tunnel (the Copley Place side may have an escalator - I don't remember).

As for traveling time on a Saturday afternoon. If you have our luck, count on 45 minutes. If you have the luck of a normal person, count on 20-30 minutes (including factoring in the bus from the terminal to the Blue Line Airport station).

One wrinkle, when we were in Boston last month, the Charlie Cards were only sold in the commuter rail stations (South Station, North Station and Back Bay Station). You can refil your Charlie Card at any station, but you must get the original Charlie Card at one of the commuter rail stations. They do not sell Charlie Cards at the Airport station. This means you would have to get a Charlie Ticket and pay $2.00 per ride. Obviously, you would only need it for the initial ride, since you can get the Charlie Card at Back Bay Station. We commented to ourselves that it really makes sense for the T to offer the Charlie Card at the Airport station, since it is the gateway for many to Boston and to the T.

That is the only downside to an otherwise good program. I love the "tap", I would take it over the "swipe" any day.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go on my city's transit system with its tokens, tickets and paper transfers. How quaint.

Last edited by closecover; May 23, 2007 at 4:39 pm Reason: Bad Grammar, spelling - Icon is placed in the wrong location as well
Old May 24, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
lol I've used the same CharlieCard for 12 people once!
Old May 29, 2007, 11:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold and Marriott Silver
Close- many people do not have the charlie card you do. We suckers have to pay $2 a pop at the "doors"
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Originally Posted by jswede1507
Close- many people do not have the charlie card you do. We suckers have to pay $2 a pop at the "doors"
Find an attendant and ask for a plastic card. AFAIK, this is the only way to get one. There is no information about obtaining a card but plenty of propoganda about how wonderful it is. Just another oddity I have discovered as a new Boston resident.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Originally Posted by Skillet
Find an attendant and ask for a plastic card. AFAIK, this is the only way to get one. There is no information about obtaining a card but plenty of propoganda about how wonderful it is. Just another oddity I have discovered as a new Boston resident.
You can find where they are available here:
http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=5604

They really are great! You also get transfer fares b/w buses and trains...for like $.25-$.40 depending on the time and the line.

Also...I much prefer the Silver Line to the airport than the Blue Line...even if you have to go to South Station. From Back Bay you can actually take the commuter rail to South Station for FREE. The transfer to Silver Line...just check the schedule...this may be your best bet.

-W

-W
Old Jun 3, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by Skillet
Interesting, when we arrived at Airport station, we found an attendant, and he just snarled at us and said we had to put $2 per person in the Charlie Ticket machines. We did not know about the Charlie Card until we stumbled into Back Bay station the next day. I hope our exeprience was just an abberation. There is no need to spend $0.30 per ride more, if you do not get better service for the money.

I did not know that you could ride commuter rail for free from South Station to Back Bay station. Thanks for the tip.^ Since we always stay in my old Back Bay stompin' grounds, we never considered using the Silver Line. We will have to reconsider this practice in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.