Community
Wiki Posts
Search

X and R on International Flights-Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
X and R on International Flights-Why?

If X and R inventories are for elite eUpgrades (yeah, everyone calls them sticker upgrades but when did you last handle a sticker?) why do X an R inventories exist on flights on which elite eUpgrades are not valid? Check it out on ExpertFlyer sometime-JFK-LHR has X and R inventories available. What are these inventories used for?
Old May 17, 2007, 4:08 am

Whenever I have received an op-up on an international flight (which is very rare) it books into R (and I presume X though never been op-uped to first)

Usually, when an EVIP upgrade only clears at the gate, it books into X,R - I asked a gate agent about this and was told that it allows them to get you and the flight off quickly and then they process the upgrade later.

Finally, when upgrades are offered for sale at check-in, they book into R and X. I have had this ex LHR and NRT.
Old May 17, 2007, 5:38 am
Original Member

X is also used on certain interantional flights for TransPac or TransAtlantic Certificate upgrades from J (and possibly D) to First. This is a different fare bucket than "A" which is used for EVIPs. Dont know about R.
Old May 17, 2007, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
X is also used on certain interantional flights for TransPac or TransAtlantic Certificate upgrades from J (and possibly D) to First. This is a different fare bucket than "A" which is used for EVIPs. Dont know about R.
Never thought about that but there did used to be certificates out there, mainly distributed to travel agents, to upgrade full fares one class on intercontinental flights. I'll have to remember to ask next time I am in an AC.

Interesting that op-ups would book into these inventories.
Old May 17, 2007, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by pgppetch
Never thought about that but there did used to be certificates out there, mainly distributed to travel agents, to upgrade full fares one class on intercontinental flights.
that's right, they are used for full fare upgrade promo certificates. for a while there were rumors that eVIP's would change over to them, but that died when the plans to move them to online booking died.

MODERATOR NOTE:

As this thread is old and the TOS state:

Avoid Bumping Very Old Threads

Unless there is a compelling reason, avoid bumping threads that are more than two years old. Often the information is out-dated and it clogs the forums, making it difficult to find current threads.

this thread is now closed; new posts have moved to their own thread (Advanced Searchsearch titles only results as thread titles:

purpose - or purpose+"r" or purpose+international etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: add moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.