Incident at BME

Old May 16, 2007, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Incident at BME

Spare a thought for us in the QP at BME today.

The once a week direct flight from BME to SYD (the QF1043) has been cancelled as the aircraft has gone so seriously tech it's not gonna get us there today.

It's a full 737-800... all hotels in Broome are full, as are flights out to PER. Right now the ground staff are trying to get us to SYD sometime TOMORROW.

Aghghghghgh.
Old May 16, 2007, 1:15 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by lorkers
Spare a thought for us in the QP at BME today.

The once a week direct flight from BME to SYD (the QF1043) has been cancelled as the aircraft has gone so seriously tech it's not gonna get us there today.

It's a full 737-800... all hotels in Broome are full, as are flights out to PER. Right now the ground staff are trying to get us to SYD sometime TOMORROW.

Aghghghghgh.
It's probably even worse for those not in the QP!

Do report back how they resolve this. Are they going to keep the QP open all night if required?

Good luck!

JS
Old May 16, 2007, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by James S
Do report back how they resolve this. JS
Aircraft is VXG I think from squinting at it. Valve on the fuel pump has failed - they can't get fuel into the right wing.

BME is so small they are having to fly in an engineer to fix the problem.

The solution seems to be typically QF - Gate tells us to contact the checkin desk. Checkin desk says they have no authority to change route, and tells us to contact QF direct. 131313 tells us that we ought to be in the air so why are we calling, and it must be dealt with on the ground.

Aghghghghgh!

The QP in the tin shed is so small that it's already runout of wine. And seats.
Old May 16, 2007, 3:33 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Yup, -VXG it is indeed (good eyesight!)

I'm interested in knowing how QF deal with the problem. Please do keep us updated.

IIRC, a fellow FT member once o/nighted (slept) in the Alice Springs Qantas Club after a BAe146 went u/s in CNS and was unable to operate the flight - I believe like BME, all the hotels were full.

BME QP is small, so must be a squeeze! When I was there I was surprised at how much food and drink was available

Please keep us updated! ^

Rgds
Old May 16, 2007, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF NB
I'm interested in knowing how QF deal with the problem. Please do keep us updated.
The engineer never made it - his flight went tech too. So we are waitting for a new aircraft - and crew - from PER to take us to SYD.

2 hours in and we get an A$8 food voucher.

3 hours in and the QP runs out of all alcohol & food. We are told that no more will be delivered due to "licencing restrictions".

3 hours 30 later the public bar downstairs runs out of lemons for the Corona.

4 hours (6pm) in and we are told we will get a hot dinner.

4 hours 30 later the public bar downstairs runs out of white wine and XXXX.

5 hours later 50 Eagle Boys pizzas are delievered - and are taken through Xray.

5 hours and 10 minutes later we're told we won't get dinner until the PER flight leaves so they don't scoff it - and the PER flight is late.

6 hours later (8pm) we get our cold pizza. The QP now looks like there's been a MAJOR party, with bottles, cans, and pizza boxes everywhere.

6 hours 30 later the public bar downstairs runs out of red wine and Crown. VB is still available.

7 hours later (9pm) we get a letter telling us that our fright is now scheduled for midnight. Blankets are handed out for those in the QP. I leave for the Kimberly Klub, and a quiet Corona. WITH lemon..

More, I'm sure, anon.
Old May 16, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Enjoy your beer and I hope you have a comfortable flight back to Sydney, whenever that is!
Old May 16, 2007, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Looks like the flight was cancelled:
Broome Domestic on Wednesday, 16 May 2007 at 10:00 hrs.
QF1073 Perth 13:15 13:22 Departed
QF1043 Sydney 14:05 17:35 Cancelled
Old May 16, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I'm hearing QF1043 departed BME @ 03.18am and recently just touched down at Sydney

Thanks for the updates lorkers!

Rgds
Old May 16, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Interesting reading thanks lorkers for the updates. To run out of booze in the QP what a disgrace
Old May 16, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by QF NB
I'm hearing QF1043 departed BME @ 03.18am and recently just touched down at Sydney

Thanks for the updates lorkers!

Rgds
Hopefully arrived before the fog!
Old May 16, 2007, 7:51 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Interesting reading thanks lorkers for the updates. To run out of booze in the QP what a disgrace
Perhaps someone will write a song about it one day
Old May 16, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by NM
Perhaps someone will write a song about it one day
Well you have to admit that there's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear ...
Old May 16, 2007, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

More, I'm sure, anon.
That was a shocker.

I got back from clubbing at 11.30pm to find that there was no reason for me to hurry - the flight was indeed showing as cancelled, but because every other flight out of BME is chocker for days, there looked like the possibility of an enforced holiday. Which was tempting... if only there was somewhere to sleep. All hotel rooms are booked solid too.

Thankfully the manager at BME got SYD to send out another 737-800 with a fresh crew - and we were told it would leave at 2am.

So I bedded down in the QP - or rather tried to. Blankets were handed out in the Club while I was in the Klub (does this sound like a song from Cabaret?) and I missed them... and in the QP pax had resorted to ripping the cushions from the chairs to make matresses. I had neither, so bedded down under the computer desks, using copies of the WA as a mattress. I found that copies of the QF inflight mag, covered in the t-shirt make a good pillow. Finally, a copy of the SMH make good sheets on top.

Remember I was one of the most comfortable ones!

At 2am we got a "flight put back to 3am due to fog" call... finally boarded at 3.10am, and took off at 3.18am.

Amazingly, the crew onboard insisted on operating a full meal service on board, even though we all wanted to sleep - and thanks to pretty violent turbulence in the first hour, it was 2 hours in before it was served. Food was supper! Remember this was 5am local, 7am Sydney time! But it was what was loaded on the original flight, so they served it.

So, we finally got into SYD just before 10am. An amazing 16 hours late.

Grrrr... just in time for me to jump onto a Deathstar flight... I'm not sure what is worse!
Old May 16, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold

<snip>

So I bedded down in the QP - or rather tried to. Blankets were handed out in the Club while I was in the Klub (does this sound like a song from Cabaret?) and I missed them... and in the QP pax had resorted to ripping the cushions from the chairs to make matresses. I had neither, so bedded down under the computer desks, using copies of the WA as a mattress. I found that copies of the QF inflight mag, covered in the t-shirt make a good pillow. Finally, a copy of the SMH make good sheets on top.

Remember I was one of the most comfortable ones!

<snip>

Grrrr... just in time for me to jump onto a Deathstar flight... I'm not sure what is worse!
At least you had real newspapers and mags in the QP....last time I travelled with Deathstar the only reading material available was a Cisco Catalog

BD
Old May 17, 2007, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
i am very interested in the qantas-JQ connection. I assume that the op had booked the original jq flight the following day. If qantas services are delayed or cancelled, would they assist in jetstar bookings. The 2 airlines are essentially one company and i would think qantas would do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.