Full size car with largest trunk?

Subscribe
I discovered this forum by chance in cruise forum and it looks interesting so far.

I hope my question is appropriate and you are able to help me. I am from New Zealand and will be traveling to US in June for a family vacation. There are four of us (2A+2C) and we are away for six weeks so we have two large (28") and two medium (24") suitcases (four in total).

We have a booking with Hertz for a full size car. Ideally I would like to get the car with the largest trunk size to accomodate our luggage. Unfortunately I don't know the US fleet and particularly the Hertz full-size fleet.

What vehicles are usually available and which would have the largest trunk? Pickup is LAX if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
I would have to say the Ford 500 / New Taurus
Yes you want a 500 or Montego, it has the biggest trunk here in North America for a passenger car.

I doubt the "new" Taurus/Sable will be there until August, so stay away from anything Taurus until then.

Other great vehicles are the Freestyle or and Escape which they may just give you as free upgrades...
The problem with the Ford Five Hundred is that it is often considered a Premium-size car. And anyway the Ford Five Hundred is a sucky car. No pick-up power.

Ford's poor excuse at competing with Chrysler's 300 which is a much superior drive, albeit classified as a Premium-size car.

Anyway, the Chevrolet Impala's trunk size has always served me well when I needed a lot of trunk space.

Just for you to compare the differences.

Payload Differences ---------- Chev Impala ----- Ford 500 ----- Buick Lucerne
Passenger Volume (cu.ft.) -------- 105 ------------- 108 ------------- 108
Trunk/Cargo Volume (cu. ft.) ----- 19 -------------- 21 --------------- 17

You should all fit in a Full-size car. Otherwise, my suggestion is this; since you will be picking up at a large airport like LAX, take what they give you, go out and try to fit your luggage in the car, and if it doesn't fit (don't move the car), just go back and ask for another model. Since you're not at a smaller pick-up location, they will have plenty of cars to change to. Even if they are super busy, a wait would definitely be in order, to get something you prefer.
To the OP: Unless a premium rental is not much more in price, I would reserve a full size car -- that doesn't necessarily mean you'll *get* a full size car, but you are extremely unlikely to end up in something smaller. Most of the full size rentals should hold your luggage, but some will do so easier than others.

As others have suggested, when you get to the airport see what they assign you -- and you can ask the agent for a car with a large trunk when you are signing the paperwork. Then go see the car and if you think it will meet your needs. Likely you can upgrade, but they'll try to get as much out of you as possible for the upgrade (and even at $10/day that will add up significantly for a long rental) but generally speaking a full size will work for you.

Good luck!
I had the same problem in 2005 when we went to SFO, I had booked Full-Size, asked first for an Impala, when there were none, asked for a car with a big trunk, and was offered a Hummer H2 for $10/day, which I took (included Sirius and Neverlost). Seems they were looking for someone to drive it to SEA...

Bye, Frido.