Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MBJ / Montego Bay, Jamaica Contract Lounge CLOSED (Jan 2009) (consolidated)

Old May 3, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, United, Continental

Someone recently alluded to a business class lounge in MBJ rather than an Admiral's Club. We are going to be traveling there hopefully with sticker upgrades, but could end up just flying economy. We are both platinum.

I wrote to AA to ask if we would be allowed access and their response was that they did not know and to call AA. No one at AA has any information as to whether Plats can use the lounge if flying economy or flying in business on stickers.

Does anyone know the admit policy? Are there AA business class (not Admiral's clubs at other airports in the Carribean or Mexico?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

N.B. The MBJ Business Class Lounge is CLOSED as of January 2009. It is not known if it will reopen.

For information on the KIN / Kingston, Jamaica Contract Lounge, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Aug 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm
Old May 3, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
According to the wiki, there is a lounge that you can use:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Lounges_%28AA%29
Old May 3, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
In February we flew out of MBJ Business class on upgrades. We are both gold and they directed us to the lounge. Other than getting to skip the line to get on the plane (because we were walked to the gate), it really wasn't worth it. It's a very small room that doesn't have a view and had really bad coffee. I think we also avoided any secondary TSA search upon boarding that other people randomly had to endure.
Old May 3, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by firespirit
In February we flew out of MBJ Business class on upgrades. We are both gold and they directed us to the lounge. Other than getting to skip the line to get on the plane (because we were walked to the gate), it really wasn't worth it. It's a very small room that doesn't have a view and had really bad coffee. I think we also avoided any secondary TSA search upon boarding that other people randomly had to endure.
the wiki is slightly wrong on this one - gold/plat/exp/J fliers all get access to the MBJ and KIN lounges, not just plat/exp as stated

it is not a TSA search (wrong country) and pre-boarding with the other lounge people doesn't always get you out of secondary screening at the gate.
Old May 3, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
Originally Posted by engineroom
the wiki is slightly wrong on this one - gold/plat/exp/J fliers all get access to the MBJ and KIN lounges, not just plat/exp as stated
thanks for pointing it out. the wiki is now fixed. btw - feel free to add corrections to the wiki to help improve its accuracy.
Old May 3, 2007, 7:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by engineroom
Just to be clear- a GLD member flying coach has access at these lounges? Not been there, so I'm not disputing...it's just inconsistent with other Caribbean non-AC lounges (AUA, anyway) that only allows J...and status is irrelevant.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2007, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Just to be clear- a GLD member flying coach has access at these lounges? Not been there, so I'm not disputing...it's just inconsistent with other Caribbean non-AC lounges (AUA, anyway) that only allows J...and status is irrelevant.

Cheers.
Yes the info posted by engineroom is correct.
The KIN lounge was supposed to being " redone for the Cricket World Cup" but that event is over .. its still not reopened

Though these lounges as mentioned are pretty small, AA has what 4 flights in/out MBJ daily they can be a respite from the overcrowded main waiting area.

mike
Old May 3, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
MoBay Lounge

I visited this lounge in January. Hardly anything worked: the bathrooms were closed for remodeling, very limited refreshments and setting was spartan. Better than sitting in the main waiting area although near the departure gate in a newer part of the airport are any number of shops and a few places to enjoy a Red Stripe and a Jamaican pattie.
Old May 4, 2007, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
It's up to the individual stations to run the lounges (or arrange some sort of agreement with another VIP lounge), so there will be vast discrepancies.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Originally Posted by MileHigh
I visited this lounge in January. Hardly anything worked: the bathrooms were closed for remodeling, very limited refreshments and setting was spartan.
I forgot about that, the bathrooms were still closed in February.
Old May 4, 2007, 6:10 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well i must say the lounge might not be much but I think being hand walked to the plane is very nice. There is no waithing in line and you get to the plane just before takeoff.
Old May 4, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
They did tell me in February that they were trying to get space in the new terminal for the club to relocate to. Given the passage of Jamaican Time, which somewhat resembles the NGBC schedule, I would not expect a new club in my lifetime at MBJ.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:46 pm

MBJ Lounge Access

I searched and this was the most recent post I found regarding AA passenger access for Business Class ticket holders.

Anyone have any updates on this? I'm returning on AA tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:04 pm

Thanks...couldn't find it even though I posted on that thread.

I'll file a report of the status of the lounge when I get back home to Miami.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Hopefully AA are still letting premium passengers into the Kingston lounge. They stopped this recently at the Barbados equivalent. Incidentally, as an EXP I now get access in BGI on a coach award on BA but not on a full fare paid First to London on AA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.