VS UC Menu

Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Smile VS UC Menu

Has anyone recently flown Upper Class on VS from any US airport to LHR? I'm tring to get an idea of the menu for Spring/Summer 2007.

VS has a sample Winter menu posted on their site, but I was hoping for more up to date information.

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Bugger, I wish I had snagged the menu last Wednesday. I can tell you I wasn't overly impressed and so I wound up eating in the IAD clubhouse instead (the food there wasn't great either). This afternoon flying from LHR to IAD I didn't care for the in-flight selection at all, but since I had eaten a fair amount at the LHR clubhouse I was OK. If you'd like I can post today's westbound menu sometime this week, but I'm afraid I slept all the way from IAD to LHR and so can't help you there. Sorry.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by Taker Park
Has anyone recently flown Upper Class on VS from any US airport to LHR? I'm tring to get an idea of the menu for Spring/Summer 2007.

VS has a sample Winter menu posted on their site, but I was hoping for more up to date information.

Thanks
Wasn't paying a huge amount of attention, but, SFO->LHR on Saturday was a choice chicken in some kind of spicy bbq source with rice (was quite tasty really, just not presented well), steak/beef of some kind (I think), and some kind of pasta as the vegi dish (don't think was their butter squash ravioli, which I quite like), starter was sufficiently uninspiring for me to skip it.

They're obviously sensitive about their menu's as they always seem to collect them at the end of the flight

Baps.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:23 am
Original Poster

VS UC Menu

Thanks for the info.

Westbound info would be great too.

I realized the other day (my first time flying UC) that I may not be able to eat a thing on the flight due to my food allergies.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by TheBaps
They're obviously sensitive about their menu's as they always seem to collect them at the end of the flight
Really? I don't recall them asking for those yesterday. Mine's at home. They did come around collecting headphones...... (no comment where my pair wound up)

I'll try to post the VS055 menu from yesterday when I get home tonight if I have time, otherwise sometime this week.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:27 pm

Yep, happened on all but one UC flight so far, maybe its a perculiarity of the SFO root..

Baps.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:34 pm

Thanks for the info.

Westbound info would be great too.

I realized the other day (my first time flying UC) that I may not be able to eat a thing on the flight due to my food allergies.
Can't for the life of me think what all the choices were (may be down to the volume of wine I was drinking), but I had the soup (potatoe and something) for starters (good), chicken tikka for main (ok-ish), and a very childish honeycomb icecream with large chocolate button for desert.

Baps.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:19 pm

It sounds like TheBaps had the same menu on Saturday on the SFO->LHR flight that I had yesterday for LHR->IAD. The menu last Wednesday for IAD->LHR was NOT the same as this, but I just don't recall. I slept the whole way anyway (may have had too much of the excellent Chianti in the Clubhouse).

Anyway, I won't type in everything it says, but here are the highlights:

(From the intro, page 1)

The wealth and quality of British food today has prompted us to devote the next months to celebrating the great tastes of British cuisine with a variety of traditional and contemporary dishes. Fine British dining, comforting and delicious, using seasonal, home-grown and locally sourced produce wherever we can. We hope you enjoy.

(Pages 2-3; each main course and cheese has a description that I've omitted)
good Evening

Dinner

Starters

Loch Fyne hot-smoked salmon served with potato & horseradish salad

Cream of potato and Double Gloucester soup served with a choice of warm breads

Main Courses

Cumberland pork sausages served with buttered mashed potato, sauteed spinach and red onion gravy

[I did not want to order this because sausages cause me to fart severely and I didn't want to annoy all the other passengers.]

Chicken tikka masala served with basmati rice, mini naan and mango chutney

[Basically, there's curry in it. I don't like curry.]

Potato thatched vegetable Cottage pie served with spring greens
[Minced beef and mashed potatoes]

Cheese

Organic stilton

Nettle wrapped Cornish yarg

Hereford Red

Cheeses are served with Carr's water biscuits, charcoal wafer thins and blackberry & pear chutney

[I had the cheese plate on the eastbound flight and it was quite good. The selection was different, as there was definitely a cheddar; there was also a stilton.]

Dessert

Chocolate and pear posset served with raspberry sauce

Honeycomb ice cream served with a giant chocolate button

Smaller bites

Melton Mowbray pork pie served with Branston pickle

Haddock and potato stack

[Had I gotten hungry, this is what I probably would have requested. As it was, I didn't eat on board other than some crackers. The food at the LHR Clubhouse was enough.]

Cheddar and onion chutney toasted sandwich

(Wine list: Pages 4-6; descriptions are extensive and thus omitted, as is the page-long intro)

Champagne and sparkling wine

Champagne Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve nv, Mise en Cave 2003

[It was pleasant but wasn't cold enough]

Berrys' Extra Dry Cremant de Limoux, Jean-Louis Denois
[I sampled this too; the Heidsieck was better]

White wines

Berrys' Australian Chardonnary 2006

Vonderling Sauvignon Blanc 2006, Voor Paardeberg-Paarl, South Africa

Roussanne 2005 Domaine Carnaval, Vin de Pays d'Oc

Red wines

Monte Verde Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, Maipo Valley, Chile

Vale de Clara 2005, Douro, Portugal

Coteaux de Tricastin Cuvee Tradition 2005, Domaine de Grangeneuve

Then the final page is a drinks menu that I'll omit.

It occurs to me that maybe they didn't collect my menu because I hadn't ordered any food.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:35 pm

Thats definitely the same menu as I had LHR->SFO last Thursday.

Baps
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by TheBaps

Baps.
I just hide mine in a carryon or on the side of the seat, and pretend that I already returned it or that I can't find it when they ask. I always keep the menus.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
It sounds like TheBaps had the same menu on Saturday on the SFO->LHR flight that I had yesterday for LHR->IAD. The menu last Wednesday for IAD->LHR was NOT the same as this, but I just don't recall. I slept the whole way anyway (may have had too much of the excellent Chianti in the Clubhouse).
The menu for IAD-LHR, as well as other East Coast-LHR "Good Night" flights, is a reduced menu, as VS expects people to eat in the Clubhouse before the relatively short East Coast-LHR flights. The onboard meal service is meant to be more of a snack. I'll post one from a recent IAD-LHR flight after I return home and search my stash of menus.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Smile VS UC Menu

Wow! Thank you for being so helpful!

I think I may have gotten in over my head, flying UC, seeing that I don't know half the food that has been posted. I'll spend the next week looking in the dictionary.

Would this be the forum to post regarding UC ettiquette, like dress?

Thanks much!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:18 pm

I think I may have gotten in over my head, flying UC, seeing that I don't know half the food that has been posted. I'll spend the next week looking in the dictionary.

Thanks much!
I wore a golf shirt and Dockers. Took my shoes off and put on the little slipper-socks they give you (given that I had my feet up on the ottoman most of the time, it would not be nice to have my smelly socks up there). I did not feel at all out of place on either flight dressing this way. I would not wear shorts or jeans in Upper Class because (a) I think it would be uncomfortable and (b) I've heard that not being slovenly makes a difference in whether an airline might mark you as "SFU" in the future ("suitable for upgrade").

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tol2007397.jpg
Old May 1, 2007, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks much!
Welcome to the world of British food. Some of it is really nice, but not often on VS.

Etiquete? You've paid for the ticket, do what you want so long as its not illegal or affecting anyone else. I normally travel in jeans, trainers and a shirt/sweater. Comfortable, relaxed and practical.

No airline 'grades' their passengers on what they wear. I've been upgraded plenty of times before they have even seen what I am wearing, and plenty of times when wearing the outfit above and unshaven after a long day and overnight flight. The only time I can think dress could come into play is trying to blag an upgrade, and even then it is only one of many factors.
Old May 1, 2007, 4:09 am

Programs: BA
My first post so be gentle...

Im flying UC on Friday to BGI, will try and remember to grab menus for there and back

not flown UC before as usually go BA Club with work, food with BA hasn't been great so have got high hopes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.