Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

When asking for input on TB motions/proposals, should there be a sticky?

Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Watching the train wreck that is the 'asking for input on the OMNI post count' thread started me thinking. It's stated that TB is (hopefully) reflecting the wishes of the FT members or thinking of the FT community as a whole when considering & making its decisions.

If that's the case, when asking for input on a proposal (whether OMNI, travel photography, merging the LH forum, fill in the blank), should there be a sticky that appears for a couple of days atop each forum alerting FT members to it & directing them to the Talkboard forum? Doesn't have to be for the entire period discussion is open (although that's an option), but at least a few days.

I know that I for one rarely check Talkboard & only knew about the OMNI post count thread because it was referenced in a dif thread on Community. I would hazard a guess that I'm not the only one who rarely goes to TB.

But if we truly wanted input beyond just a few folk, to me having a sticky alerting FTers to the discussion area makes sense.

Just a thought. Have no idea if a motion needs to be made & seconded or it's something that can just be done, but thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
As I currently understand it, TalkBoard operates as a Representative Democracy, as opposed to a Direct Democracy. The members, once elected, are under no obligation to ask for input from the general FT membership prior to voting.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
In honesty, we've been trying to get better at doing that - so go look at the LH and LX forums, and when we started discussing what would happen in the private forum, there was a thread started in both of those (and I should know, I started them ) directing people to thread asking for their input.

I think it has to be targeted though - I know some forums where they hate unnecessary stickies, so putting in a sticky about something proposed on a unrelated airline forum would go down like a lead balloon. And some proposals (such as the photography one) have no obvious place to put up stickies. We probably were remiss in not posting into OMNI, but the OMNI-ites took care of that themselves!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
In honesty, we've been trying to get better at doing that - so go look at the LH and LX forums, and when we started discussing what would happen in the private forum, there was a thread started in both of those (and I should know, I started them ) directing people to thread asking for their input.

I think it has to be targeted though - I know some forums where they hate unnecessary stickies, so putting in a sticky about something proposed on a unrelated airline forum would go down like a lead balloon. And some proposals (such as the photography one) have no obvious place to put up stickies. We probably were remiss in not posting into OMNI, but the OMNI-ites took care of that themselves!
I was thinking of the stickey (or notification) not sure what it's called that sometimes appears above all forums that FT/HOM does for things that cross across all forums - ie, travel photos for example, but targeted when possible works for me such as you mentioned doing in the LH.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:04 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Sharon,

Are you talking about an "Announcement"?

I know some people get tired of announcements/stickys as they clutter up the screen... but might be a great idea for Talkboard consideration.

William
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Great idea. I'm starting to think there should also be a limit on the number of times a person can post to a thread asking for input.

The current post count train wreck is a perfect example. Anyone looking to read to see the point of view from other members would have to wade through 650 posts with a large chunk of them from the same few members.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Great idea. I'm starting to think there should also be a limit on the number of times a person can post to a thread asking for input.
I would agree with this but feel there should be no limit for TB members. The reason is simple: We are asked questions and have to be free to answer them.

If you look through the post count thread you will see that the great majority of my posts are direct answers to questions put either directly to me or to TB in general.

I tried to answer as many questions as possible (although ignoring those which had been asked and answered earlier) and would still be doing so if one particular post had not so disgusted me that I decided not to continue there.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Dovster
would still be doing so if one particular post had not so disgusted me that I decided not to continue there.
That and the fact that the thread is currently closed, of course.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
That and the fact that the thread is currently closed, of course.
Nope, the thread is currently open -- but I still will not be posting on it.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Nope, the thread is currently open -- but I still will not be posting on it.
^ ^ Seems like it was just re-opened.

Hopefully it will be productive now.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Mary2e

The current post count train wreck is a perfect example. Anyone looking to read to see the point of view from other members would have to wade through 650 posts with a large chunk of them from the same few members.
Maybe one of the "members" will endorse the idea to the point of presenting it..
Old Apr 9, 2007, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by underpressure
Maybe one of the "members" will endorse the idea to the point of presenting it..

I would be happy to present it but, of course, you would then post here that I am trying to censor you.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:56 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I would agree with this but feel there should be no limit for TB members. The reason is simple: We are asked questions and have to be free to answer them.

{snip}

I tried to answer as many questions as possible (although ignoring those which had been asked and answered earlier) and would still be doing so if one particular post had not so disgusted me that I decided not to continue there.
You (TB members) are FT members first. You already have a private forum. There should be no limit on what anyone on FT can post in a forum dedicated to it's allegedly "democratically elected" representatives.

Not coronated. Elected. The hubris in thinking that TB members are, or should, be elevated into a "superclass" in any public forum is simply amazing.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:56 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I would be happy to present it but, of course, you would then post here that I am trying to censor you.
Hey, at least he got the courtesy of the "heads up." Some don't even get that much. Ahem.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
You already have in the past, why stop now?
Please tell me who I have censored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.