Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Horizon Air Adding New Nonstop Jet Flights from Boise and Spokane to California

Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold

No doubt in direct response to ExpressJets new flights from GEG and BOI:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070330/20070330005136.html?.v=1

XJet is facing some nice competition from the big boys...first AA overlays most of the RDU routes, now this....
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:31 am
Suspended

QX replacing instead of supplementing AS on GEG-LAX =

I guess the upside is that PDX will likely see an upgauge in equipment since AS and QX metal has to be shifted around to allow these flights. One more reason I'm glad not to be based in GEG...
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Ugh. I enjoyed the upgrades on the existing GEG-LAX service.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
QX replacing instead of supplementing AS on GEG-LAX =

I guess the upside is that PDX will likely see an upgauge in equipment since AS and QX metal has to be shifted around to allow these flights. One more reason I'm glad not to be based in GEG...
I wouldn't count on that. I'm guessing these new routes are coming from redeploying the aircraft that were previously comitted to the Frontier JetExpress operations. Portland continues to see the expansion of QX to previously AS routes. Next month I get the joy of a 2+ hour CR7 flight LAS-PDX. Oh well, at least I had the choice, and by using QX they have greatly improved the schedule on this route.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Portland continues to see the expansion of QX to previously AS routes
Alaska has added SJD and PVR (albeit seasonal), are adding BOS and MCO in September and this summer will be taking over the QX flights between PDX and LAS/SAN. Additionally, AS hasn't decreased frequency to most of it's destinations from Portland in a while. It is true that a few years ago, AAG determined it would be more profitable for QX metal to operate all of the PDX-BUR/ONT routes (turns out they were right), but aside from that, QX has basically been supplementing AS service from what I can tell.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Ugh. I enjoyed the upgrades on the existing GEG-LAX service.
Are these planes going out at 100% capacity? If AS did what many UX planes are doing (a small F cabin, which only reduces capacity by a few seats), these routes would be much more palatable. The "F" service needn't have much more service than a couple more "pass-thrus" with the beverage cart. These 2+ hours in a CRJ seat in the QX config would make me want to connect somewhere.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Are these planes going out at 100% capacity? If AS did what many UX planes are doing (a small F cabin, which only reduces capacity by a few seats), these routes would be much more palatable. The "F" service needn't have much more service than a couple more "pass-thrus" with the beverage cart. These 2+ hours in a CRJ seat in the QX config would make me want to connect somewhere.
Reducing the number of seats or cargo/payload capacity to add a few F seats to a CR7 for upgraders increases the already high CASM of the CR7. QX prefers to operate their flights profitably since they do not have the luxury of receiving a fee for departure from AS.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnp012001
I wouldn't count on that. I'm guessing these new routes are coming from redeploying the aircraft that were previously comitted to the Frontier JetExpress operations. Portland continues to see the expansion of QX to previously AS routes. Next month I get the joy of a 2+ hour CR7 flight LAS-PDX. Oh well, at least I had the choice, and by using QX they have greatly improved the schedule on this route.
With the loss of 16 DH8 aircraft, the 9 returning CR7s would simply make QX capacity neutral.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Reducing the number of seats or cargo/payload capacity to add a few F seats to a CR7 for upgraders increases the already high CASM of the CR7. QX prefers to operate their flights profitably since they do not have the luxury of receiving a fee for departure from AS.
Why do you think I asked if they are going out at 100%? (or even close to it?)
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why do you think I asked if they are going out at 100%? (or even close to it?)
All flights do at some point. That's why you have the most seats possible, regardless of average LF.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
All flights do at some point. That's why you have the most seats possible, regardless of average LF.
You seem to know a lot of detailed info about the airlines. You are either really smart or an insider. I assume you are just really smart.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by westcoastman
You seem to know a lot of detailed info about the airlines. You are either really smart or an insider. I assume you are just really smart.
Are the two mutually exclusive?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Cool

This is why I like this board so much. I called and changed two GEG-LAX flights I had booked for this fall--both had been reassigned to the Horizon flight. Was able to re-route thru SEA to retain first seats, on the 7am direct(one stop) GEG-LAX. I will miss the direct non-stop from GEG-LAX on Alaska, especialy in the winter with the LAX connections to Mexico--worth the extra stop for the first class seat.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Exactly right. This is why AA finally had to give up the "More Room Throughout Coach". Load factors are at historical highs right now. AA just couldn't risk losing 10-12 passengers per flight (on full flights) to the competition.

In addition, AS switched to the new, slimline seating to squeeze in 4 more seats on the 737-700's and 12 more seats (than AA) on the -800's. More people per flight = more revenue for AS (and a CHANCE of actually making a profit like successful businesses should).
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
QX in Long Beach

Any word on new service in LGB? I know they applied for slots with the city council, but it's been a while. Starting to doubt now with these new announcements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.