Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Is there a sticky somewhere with search instructions?

Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList

Are there instructions or tips somewhere? Examples, do quotes work? Are there wildcards? stuff like that.

I would be happy to look outside of flyertalk to a another vb customer if they have documented it.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:40 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

I don't know of a faq on this, but you can use quotes for example search for "sticky somewhere" (with quotes) on subjects only. You can also you wildcards with the * char. An example of this can be seen by searching for "test*" (without quotes) on subjects only.

Hope that helps.

Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:50 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Bearbear - many thanks for what might be the post of the day. It does seem that FlyerTalk does not have a specific FAQ for advice on using search and it well should.

Is there any member that feels comfortable building such an FAQ that we could then feature for all members of FT - including the newbies we welcome daily?

Thanks for any help with this.

Randy
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There is some information in the sticky Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience, but it probably could do with being updated and collated into a single post.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There is some information in the sticky Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience, but it probably could do with being updated and collated into a single post.
I agree.

This is a topic that has been in the back of my mind as I have been working on cleaning up the Hilton forum.

How to use the Search feature on FlyerTalk needs to be comprehensive, informative, publicized and easy to read.

I will start one in this forum. I will need help with other FlyerTalk members contributing to it, however.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:39 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Thanks Canarsie, sticky incoming.

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:23 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Tim,

Any way that sticky could be at the top of every forum? I have a feeling most members would never venture to this forum... so would not see it.

This issue comes up all the time in the various forums.

I know we hate stickys but the search one being created is problem the most valuable we have seen in a long time.

Just a suggestion.

William
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:16 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by wharvey
Tim,

Any way that sticky could be at the top of every forum? I have a feeling most members would never venture to this forum... so would not see it.

I know we hate stickys but the search one being created is problem the most valuable we have seen in a long time.

Just a suggestion.

William
We probably won't want to do that as we don't want to take up space with that at the top of every forum. What we may do once this has developed some more is add a link to it from the "Help" menu or put an announcement up about it for a short period of time to let people know that it is now available.

Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tim at WebFlyer
Thanks Canarsie, sticky incoming.
It is my pleasure and thank you for stickemifying the thread.
Originally Posted by wharvey

Originally Posted by Tim at WebFlyer
We probably won't want to do that as we don't want to take up space with that at the top of every forum. What we may do once this has developed some more is add a link to it from the "Help" menu or put an announcement up about it for a short period of time to let people know that it is now available.
In fact, although it consumes a similar amount of space as a sticky thread, the Announcement idea is a better idea.

The reason is because Announcements can be set to automatically expire, and even after they expire, they are still accessible at any time. Therefore, the Announcement could be resurrected at any time a reminder is needed of the sticky thread on how to do a Search on FlyerTalk.

Also, Announcements can be visible in every forum throughout the entire FlyerTalk site, but I also believe that where they appear on FlyerTalk can be changed at any time to only appear in select forums as well, if necessary.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
I'm thrilled by the response to my post. I didn't think I was alone.

I looked at the vBulletin website and found nothing useful for users trying to search. I also looked at a couple of other sites I visit occasionally that use vB and saw the same things. "Great site but terrible search" or "I tried to search but ...." or "where are the instructions on searching?"

This could be a valuable resource beyond FT.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Bearbear
I'm thrilled by the response to my post. I didn't think I was alone.

I looked at the vBulletin website and found nothing useful for users trying to search. I also looked at a couple of other sites I visit occasionally that use vB and saw the same things. "Great site but terrible search" or "I tried to search but ...." or "where are the instructions on searching?"

This could be a valuable resource beyond FT.
You are definitely not alone, Bearbear.

When the announcement was made that FlyerTalk was being ported over to the vBulletin bulletin board software platform from the old Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB) software platform, I was excited.

Dont get me wrong with sole regards to software technology, FlyerTalk has improved significantly, in my opinion. However, I am surprised at some of the deficiencies of a bulletin board software application as popular as vBulletin, including the Search feature.

I hope that the plug-in capabilities that now allow the expansion of the functionality of the vBulletin bulletin board software program would resolve or improve some of these issues, but either Tim at WebFlyer or Joshua at WebFlyer would know the answer better than I.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.