Wiki Posts
Search

CX suspends CMB due to rebel activity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:31 am
Original Poster

CX suspends CMB due to rebel activity

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0011d21c39____

Posting it here as this has implications for people wanting to commence an xONEx from CMB since CX happens to be the only carrier operating into CMB. Flights have been suspended until further notice (AA agent told me 'indefinitely' ).

This follows the bombing of a military airbase next to CMB at 0130 (or 1330 - can't remember) LKT which has forced the closure of the airport.

Mod: please move to CX forum if this fits better there.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:05 am

Assuming that this will be a long-duration suspension (which depends on rebel activity) can anyone venture a guess as to what OW is likely to allow as termination for an existing ex-CMB ONE?

For existing bookings which would have gone via SIN or BKK, I suppose they'd accept the intermediate city without a quibble, and the origination HKG is likely. But I wonder how far afield they'd allow for a complete substitute for a HKG-CMB segment. Does anyone vote for "anywhere in Asia?"
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:09 am
Original Poster

According to what I'm seeing on EF and CX's refund policy for travel involving CMB, flights could only be suspended till end of April 07.

As a result to the recent Sri Lanka Airport incident, with immediate effect, all cancellation / refund / rebooking / rerouting charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (of all fare types) on or before 26 March 2007 for travel on or before 30 April 2007 involving Columbo (CMB).
Flights are zeroed out till 30 APR but are available for booking from May. Subject to how circumstances play themselves out of course.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Assuming that this will be a long-duration suspension (which depends on rebel activity) can anyone venture a guess as to what OW is likely to allow as termination for an existing ex-CMB ONE?...
I'll play. I'd say CX/OW will take the hard line and just say your last segment (XXX-CMB) is null and void until such time as CX resumes flying to CMB.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Ouch. I have a CX HKG-CMB segment in early May, the final segment of a ticket. I have an SQ award ticket ex-CMB. I've already flown the first half of the SQ (UA award) ticket, and it is nullified if I fail to continue my travel from CMB. I won't fret just yet; I have been to CMB 3 times already this year, and know their airport is an important hub for tourism to destinations such as the Maldives.

It is interesting, though, that SQ is continuing to fly to CMB and CX is not. That implies commerical interests are involved and not just safety.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
...It is interesting, though, that SQ is continuing to fly to CMB and CX is not. That implies commerical interests are involved and not just safety.
No, it means that SQ is owned by a government and CX is not....so CX is bound by commercial insurance cover, and cannot fly into cities that are not certified as covered by it's insurance policy. SQ is self-insured (or rather, covered by the govt). One of the many ways that SQ is subsidized without violating trade agreements. Usually it doesn't matter, but CMB is a great example of the difference.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:15 pm

That is a useful clarification. Thank you, number_6.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:21 pm

Ouch. I have a CX HKG-CMB segment in early May, the final segment of a ticket. I have an SQ award ticket ex-CMB. I've already flown the first half of the SQ (UA award) ticket, and it is nullified if I fail to continue my travel from CMB. I won't fret just yet; I have been to CMB 3 times already this year, and know their airport is an important hub for tourism to destinations such as the Maldives.

It is interesting, though, that SQ is continuing to fly to CMB and CX is not. That implies commerical interests are involved and not just safety.
From a search of Google/News it would seem that Cathay is the only carrier to suspend service from CMB. One article mentioned the passenger load on the last northbound as being 128 iirc, so suspending the route may not disappoint their financial people. Any time we've flown there, the biz cabin becomes pretty empty after BKK.

I have little doubt that Cathay will carry you as far as BKK, and I suppose there's a small chance that they'd put you on another carrier from there if you whimper loudly. Otherwise, making your own way BKK-CMB isn't likely to break the bank.

Did you find it easy to get award seats on SQ?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:29 pm

Did you find it easy to get award seats on SQ?
Very easy. They release one seat at a time in F. If my husband is with me, I book one seat for him. Then the next day I book for me. I've only been on SQ from SIN-CMB in F three times; in those times, I've never seen more than 4 passengers in the 12 F seats.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
No, it means that SQ is owned by a government and CX is not....so CX is bound by commercial insurance cover, and cannot fly into cities that are not certified as covered by it's insurance policy. SQ is self-insured (or rather, covered by the govt). One of the many ways that SQ is subsidized without violating trade agreements. Usually it doesn't matter, but CMB is a great example of the difference.
Can you back up that claim?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:25 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
From a search of Google/News it would seem that Cathay is the only carrier to suspend service from CMB. One article mentioned the passenger load on the last northbound as being 128 iirc, so suspending the route may not disappoint their financial people. Any time we've flown there, the biz cabin becomes pretty empty after BKK.
You're right about the loads being fairly light in Business class. The two times that I've taken CX 700, there have been maybe a total of 12 people in J.

Do I think they'll suspend this flight permantly? I doubt it. It's the only OW carrier in CMB plus there is A LOT of cargo ex-CMB.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Don't panic too much just yet. CX flights after April 30th are still bookable, if that's any indication of their assessment of the situation. I've emailed CX CMB to ask for more info than its vague press release...will see what they say.

Last edited by Keith009; Mar 26, 2007 at 8:18 pm
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Savage25
Can you back up that claim?
Yes, it is disclosed in their annual reports (though you have to read several of them, owing to the serpentine corporate structure). Lots of other interesting aspects of running an airline are also disclosed; SQ is very different from most other airlines in its financials.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
Yes, it is disclosed in their annual reports (though you have to read several of them, owing to the serpentine corporate structure). Lots of other interesting aspects of running an airline are also disclosed; SQ is very different from most other airlines in its financials.
Interesting info ^

I always knew Singapore Aviation and General Insurance Co was a subsidiary but didn't know they were SQ's main insurer until now. Its actually not in their annual reports, but I found it in a report related to the TPE crash.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
I have a DONE4 booked with AA in CMB, but not yet ticketed....With an early July departure.....My fiancee is now wanting to change the departure city so as to have reassurance that we will be able to take the trip!

I am thinking of waiting a little longer and seeing how it pans out. The ticketing date for the trip is April 09 though. Do you think that AA will extend the ticketing date until at least May, so I can see if flights have been resumed?

Also, if we have to change to another city would ICN,NRT or TPE be better (using AA to minimize charges of course.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.