Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Earn miles on multiple programs for same dine?

Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec

Sorry if this has already been answered...I am a part of the AA iDine program currently, and I am looking at joining the CO iDine program as well. Within both programs, I see a similar list of restaurants that I dine at. If I register for both programs, and dine at the restaurant, will I get 3 miles in AA as well as 3 miles in CO, or does iDine restrict which program I can get miles for?

TIA for constructive answers.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Originally Posted by sinner7
Sorry if this has already been answered...I am a part of the AA iDine program currently, and I am looking at joining the CO iDine program as well. Within both programs, I see a similar list of restaurants that I dine at. If I register for both programs, and dine at the restaurant, will I get 3 miles in AA as well as 3 miles in CO, or does iDine restrict which program I can get miles for?

TIA for constructive answers.
In order to have a second (or third or more) idine account, you need to register a different credit card number. Idine miles are credited to the program based on which credit card you use.
Note that it is possible to get credit in both accounts if you ask the restaurant to split the bill between two credit cards, but you don't get duplicate miles.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You get miles based upon the credit card(s) used to pay for the meal. Your best bet would be to charge part of the bill to each card on each visit to make elite dining status faster. Restaurants seem to understand separating alcohol charges onto another tab, making the assumption you aren't going to be submitting booze for business reimbursement. Or, you can present two cards when the bill comes, stating clearly: "Please charge exactly $5 on this one, and the balance of the tab on the other." Leave the entire tip on the larger tab - rounded up to either $.34, $.67, or an even dollar amount of course, so you don't miss out on a single airline mile! If you ever want to get two dining credits at the same joint with the same airline on the same day, remember to vary the net amounts (at least slightly); otherwise, the system will reject the second one as a "presumed duplicate error" and you'll have to go through the trouble of getting retroactive credit from Rewards Network later. You can split the bill exactly to the penny between two airlines.

Be sure to check the fine print on each restaurant. Most are unlimited visits(although they may be blacked out certain days of the week), but a few are still one-visit-per-month. That means one visit per partner per month - if you dined at one for AA credit, you could still go there again later that same month using your CO-linked card. Or, you could split a visit between two partners and both would count - if it's the tail end of the month say, and you doubt you'd be back again soon.

Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Mar 25, 2007 at 10:52 am
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Iirc, you should be able to sign up on AAdvantage Dining / AA iDine and get elite status as an AA elite - I don't know if you have CO status and if the program offers "instant" elite status for CO elites, but it's certainly worth a look at each respective website - that would mean 10 miles per dollar, instead of a measly three.

You must create an account first, and register the credit card(s) you want for each airline - you can only register one airline for each credit card you wish to use, but... if you have a Hilton HHonors AMEX, you can get 10 miles and 5 points per dine. ^

As others have mentioned, it is worth checking the resto list online, and check the details. Make sure your intended resto takes your intended card (some accept AMEX but do not award miles on it, for example,) that it offers miles the day you intend to dive (some block popular days like Friday adn Saturday, others may block a specific holiday or day they want to block awards from.) Most restos allow up to $600 monthly, but as Points Scrounger says, be sure you can make more than one visit per month (for most, you can,) before you use the same card in the same month.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:41 pm

rarely, a restaurant enrolled in idine will also be enrolled in opentable or dinnerbroker. the only way to know is to cross-reference the respective websites.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:01 pm

We have a few of those in the SMF area - my favorite accepts my HHonors AMEX and encourages me to book via opentable. (I'll have to admit the peril of all this is that we became friends with their manager, who married the sous-chef - they received the benefit when I gifted them F seats to honeymoon in Thailand. My net is a negative balance with that resto. )

Originally Posted by crabbing
rarely, a restaurant enrolled in idine will also be enrolled in opentable or dinnerbroker. the only way to know is to cross-reference the respective websites.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:44 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by crabbing
What do you get for booking through Opentable or Dinnerbroker? There are some restaurants here in KC that are on Opentable and are in iDine and participate in a local restaurant rewards program (PowerCard) that gets me 6.67% back plus I get 5 Thank You Ponts/Dollar through my Citi mtvU card, add them all together and all of a sudden lunches and dinners get pretty darn cheap.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
I am pretty new to the i-dine program and am earning 10 AA per $1. I am going to set up a BA account and think there is to use the same credit card account to get miles in both AA and BA.

I use the HH Amex for 5HH and 10AA per $1. Last year Amex had a promo: add another person to your account for 5k HH. You can make that person yourself and have 2 different Amex HH cards with your name. Amex will asign a different account number to the second card, and not run a credit check. You are a co-signer on you own account. Someone even signed-up his dog. I have searched but cannot find the thread. The promo may be over by now, but there is no credit check.

Okay, shoot holes in my theory
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Happy to oblige your request!

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
II am going to set up a BA account and think there is to use the same credit card account to get miles in both AA and BA. Okay, shoot holes in my theory
It is impossible to link the same credit card to more than one program. If you try to use your existing AA-linked card to join the BA-earning program, the system is programmed to reject doing so.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It is impossible to link the same credit card to more than one program. If you try to use your existing AA-linked card to join the BA-earning program, the system is programmed to reject doing so.
Re-read my post. I said same credit card account. The two cards have different account numbers.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me state this a different way:

You plan on registering your 2nd credit card -- of the account where your original card has already been registered with AA - with BA. You can do that, no problem. On your next restaurant visit, you will have a choice: get 10 AA miles/dollar using card #1, or 3 BA miles/dollar using card #2 (which will also count as the first of your required 12 dines for "elite" BA Rewards Network status).

Here is what I believe you feel will occur, and which I can assure you will not ...

You use the 2nd BA-linked card to get 3x BA miles plus 10x AA miles because the primary card is linked to AA?
Nope. No Way. Forget it.
One cannot "double dip" between airlines on the exact same transaction; Rewards Network does not recognize any "link" whatsoever between the two cards. Your dine with card #2 will post as 3 BA miles/dollar; there will be no posting at AA at all. If you contact Rewards Network about this, they will (correctly) reply that you were eligible for BA miles with that credit card, which you've received. Period.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
Re-read my post. I said same credit card account. The two cards have different account numbers.
What Points Scrounger said above. To put it more simply, iDine/RN gives miles based on matching the card number swiped against their database. They won't know that two numbers go to the same credit card account. All they'll see is that a number was used, and credit accordingly based on where that number is registered.

Mike
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:18 pm

Having re-read my own post, let me be clear as to what I am trying to do.

Use HH card to earn 10AA per $1 with primary card

OR

have the option to earn 10BA + 5HH per $1 (upon becoming elite) with the co-signer card, which is in my name. Sorry about the confusion.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that kind of double dipping is fine!

Just a couple of things to keep in mind ...

AA Elite restaurants don't all give BA "basic" (non-elite) dining credit - heck, some won't give any BA credit at all in a few instances. Check your lists before you dine. Never assume a restaurant gives credit in all of your airline plans just because it does in one.

To maximize your overall earnings while working towards BA status, you might think of splitting tabs during this AA promo period so that at least $15 of each dine goes on your AA card, and the balance towards BA status. In your case it might confuse servers as they are identical-appearing cards with different embossed numbers, but worth a try.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:24 am

OPenTable.com gets you points on their system when you use them to book - a few restos earn 1,000 points, and most 100. You can then turn those points into credit "cheques" - 1,000 points = anything from $10 US to 15 in the UK, and greater amounts for larger accumulations of points, of course.

I often "triple dip" - book via OpenTable, use my HHonors AMEX card to earn 10 miles and 5 HHonors points per dollar spent. And if they offer an AARP or whatever discount, as the resto we dined in on Sunday, I guess I could call it a "quad dip;" the property offers 10% off AARP on all menu items (though not wine or other alcoholic beverages.)

Originally Posted by Beckles
What do you get for booking through Opentable or Dinnerbroker? There are some restaurants here in KC that are on Opentable and are in iDine and participate in a local restaurant rewards program (PowerCard) that gets me 6.67% back plus I get 5 Thank You Ponts/Dollar through my Citi mtvU card, add them all together and all of a sudden lunches and dinners get pretty darn cheap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.