Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is 4 million "BIS" miles and complimentary Platinum status really achievable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite

I am coming up on the 2 million mile mark and "complimentary Gold" status. Time to think of the next level!!! The first million miles came quickly and the second million took almost twice as long with the "BIS" rules. To reach 4 million miles would take 10 more years at 200,000 miles per year.

Are there lots of medallions with a realistic chance of making the 4 million mile mark in their lifetime?

Also, (selfishly) should a Platinum with a million miles or more have any advantages over a first time Platinum?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by CAVU
I am coming up on the 2 million mile mark and "complimentary Gold" status. Time to think of the next level!!! The first million miles came quickly and the second million took almost twice as long with the "BIS" rules. To reach 4 million miles would take 10 more years at 200,000 miles per year.

Are there lots of medallions with a realistic chance of making the 4 million mile mark in their lifetime?

Also, (selfishly) should a Platinum with a million miles or more have any advantages over a first time Platinum?
Here in the Delta forum, it is well known that we have at least one poster who is a 5 million miler. I'm sure there are others who have even more.

It is attainable.

As for a million miler plat having advantages over a freshly minted plat, Delta answered that question for you with the 'White Envelope'. It's a yes, they are more important.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tkey75
Here in the Delta forum, it is well known that we have at least one poster who is a 5 million miler. I'm sure there are others who have even more.

It is attainable.

As for a million miler plat having advantages over a freshly minted plat, Delta answered that question for you with the 'White Envelope'. It's a yes, they are more important.
Well known?? Who?

I quit at 3MM plus
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc

It is attainable.

I think many (not all, I am sure) of the muli-million milers on here can credit a good portion of their miles to the days where non-"BIS" miles were counted toward MM status. Sure, there are some folks who frequent weekly/bi-weekly BE flights to Europe that can do it, but the numbers will surely fall off as time passes.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite

It is attainable.

What is the 'White Envelope'?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I think with the new rules, only diehard, every week, lots of TATL or TPAC type flyers can ever achieve 4MM. Certainly doable if you start traveling heavily at a young enough age.

But as someone who started flying DL only 2 years ago, and about to hit 0.5MM, I am quite sure I will end up divorced if I keep up this heavy of a travel schedule for the 14 more years it would take to hit 4MM at my current pace.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:21 pm

To put it in perspective, if you've flown half a million miles in the past two years, your average speed over that period of time was 28.5 mph, not counting any other form of travel. Impressive...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Yes, traveling over 4MM is very achievable. Its easier now then ever with DL international expansion and codeshare partners.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Yes, traveling over 4MM is very achievable. Its easier now then ever with DL international expansion and codeshare partners.
Another well informed post.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by spgaston
Another well informed post.
I apologize for any inconvience this may have caused to you sir. How may help you?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
This is the reason that I think that DL should count all miles. I will be MM in late spring/early summer this year...all of it BIS...well, except for stray extra MQMs for A fares. I really have no desire to set a goal for 2 MM. Under the old rules, I would already be 2 MM AND I might have some desire to go for 4 MM. Plus, I would be more inclined to wrap up other programs in Delta miles. I take double Hilton points...and points in all other hotel programs. I don't need more SkyMiles and there is no incentive for me to collect more. I have a balance that ought to last a while.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Well known?? Who?
oldtirednbusy has joined the fourm and the Lounge and is a 5 million miler.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I am slightly jaded as a newcomer regarding MM and BIS miles. I can hardly imagine hitting 1MM BIS much less any more. It's just plain unfair <stomping around>

Anyway, I don't think it is achievable anymore, except for an incredibly select few.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by spgaston
Anyway, I don't think it is achievable anymore, except for an incredibly select few.
I think it is pretty much intended for an incredibly select few.

What the real problem is that the field is uneven....from those who got most of their miles the old way that those newbies after it the BIS way.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
What the real problem is that the field is uneven....from those who got most of their miles the old way that those newbies after it the BIS way.
Don't hold any ten year old grudges, do you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.