Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OBSOLETE / ARCHIVE: Questions about the '4 AA segments' needed to earn status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been archived, as it contains obsolete information. AA now requires ( including c/y 2014) flyers fly four segments per calendar year on AA or US or their codeshares to earn or retain AAdvantage status. The active thread is: Four (4) Minimum number of AA or US segments to earn / keep status enforced 2014

American Airlines now (c/y 2014) is finally enforcing the previously stated but unenforced rule that AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA (includes US now) operated (including those marketed by other carriers) or marketed (including those operated by other carriers) segments during the calendar year to earn status benefits. As bhomburg shared and Djokison reports, May 2013 account summaries included the following:

2014 Elite-Status Qualification Requirements

Others have recently reported status not posting when members have earned the required miles or points but have not flown AA or US marketed flights; AA CSRs are telling them status is not reflected because of the absence of AA / US segments. (Award segments will not qualify, from what we know.)

*Must fly at least four segments on American or US Airways during the qualifying year to receive elite status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp.
Note: Members must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier, US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles do not include class-of-service bonus miles, other participant miles or any other AAdvantage bonus mileage. Miles purchased through buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles do not qualify for elite status.
bhomburg and flatlander both have had verified with AA CSRs one must fly four AA (and/or US) marketed segments to qualify for AAdvantage status this year. Codeshare flights (AA flight number, operated by another carrier) count as AA segments:

"American Airlines marketed codeshare flights would count towards the four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier, US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle required to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year".
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1. I cannot find any reference to this in the T&C's on aa.com. Can I assume it no longer exists? If so, very good.

2. If I can't make that assumption, does anyone have any recent experience on whether AA enforce it. Historically I am aware they have not, but perhaps the change to challenges might represent a slight tightening of other status related rules in Advantage?

The reason I ask is that an unexpected spurt of travel should get me to the brink of EXP, after missing out last year. However the spurt period will only have 3 AA flights. I'd like to start planning now how to fit a fourth in, if needed.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
aa.com
Member must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection to qualify for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles do not include class-of-service bonus miles, other participant miles or any other AAdvantage bonus mileage. Miles purchased through buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles do not qualify for elite status.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:56 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It's not enforced.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's not enforced.
I would tread lightly here though. It is a stated rule, so that means they might decide to enforce it when you want it.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
However the spurt period will only have 3 AA flights.
Perhaps add a segment to one of your AA flight, just to be on the safe side?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magic111
Should have tried harder. Thanks for the link.

I think I'll take the risk as fitting another segment in to the current trip will be tough. I'd rather not do a LHR-JFK turnaround if it isn't needed.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:19 am

Completely not enforced. I am EXP with one AA flight ever credited.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:31 am

I have a colleage who is a 7MM...and he has not flown AA 3 or 4 years running. US based and EXP qualifying all with CX flights. Do you really think that AA cares for those 4 segments ? I sure think not.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA2MM
I have a colleage who is a 7MM...and he has not flown AA 3 or 4 years running. US based and EXP qualifying all with CX flights. Do you really think that AA cares for those 4 segments ? I sure think not.
Very good. ^ Useful that AA don't care as BA certainly do.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:24 pm
Suspended

1. I cannot find any reference to this in the T&C's on aa.com. Can I assume it no longer exists? If so, very good.

2. If I can't make that assumption, does anyone have any recent experience on whether AA enforce it. Historically I am aware they have not, but perhaps the change to challenges might represent a slight tightening of other status related rules in Advantage?

The reason I ask is that an unexpected spurt of travel should get me to the brink of EXP, after missing out last year. However the spurt period will only have 3 AA flights. I'd like to start planning now how to fit a fourth in, if needed.
You yourself point out that AA-- just this year-- instituted a major change for the rules on Challenges, making them AA code only. (this after asking if the very language being discussed was no longer on AA.com.)

This change is in the spirt of "you want AA status? Fly AA a bit" (as opposed to a completely irrelevant-to-this-issue change, for example.)

If-- in the very unlikely event that AA has made some sort of change of this type-- enforcing something that's been conspicuously in place for years-- the "some people on the internet told me to ignore the posted T&C's" defense might be a tough sell.

Programs can and do change all the time-- and in this case it wouldn't even be a change to the program, just enforcement of an extremely reasonable rule you already knew existed.

You're talking about 1 extra AA segment that you'd have to take.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You yourself point out that AA-- just this year-- instituted a major change for the rules on Challenges, making them AA code only. (this after asking if the very language being discussed was no longer on AA.com.)

This change is in the spirt of "you want AA status? Fly AA a bit" (as opposed to a completely irrelevant-to-this-issue change, for example.)

If-- in the very unlikely event that AA has made some sort of change of this type-- enforcing something that's been conspicuously in place for years-- the "some people on the internet told me to ignore the posted T&C's" defense might be a tough sell.

Programs can and do change all the time-- and in this case it wouldn't even be a change to the program, just enforcement of an extremely reasonable rule you already knew existed.

I agree with this 100 percent. The fact that the rule has not historically been enforced does not negate the fact that the rule exists and can be enforced at any time going forward.

Mike
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Very fair points. The intention certainly was not to try and get a waiver from AA if they are now enforcing the rule. The issue is that being based in the UK, and not having any plans to travel to the US apart from one trip this month , getting that fourth segment in will require some creative work on my part hence wanting as much notice as possible. I shall take my chances and see what happens - and also not whinge/moan if it doesn't come off.

I guess there is a seperate debate as to whether I should get AA status largely through not flying them. But I don't have my flame proof suit handy for that.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:49 pm
Suspended

..I guess there is a seperate debate as to whether I should get AA status largely through not flying them. But I don't have my flame proof suit handy for that.
I see almost a dozen posts from various members in this thread and I don't see anyone having taken that up at in the least. And no reason you should have to take any crap for it in any case.

As a final thought, -if- such a change had been made for 2007/8 (and I'm certainly not saying it has)-- how do you suppose anyone here would even know about it? Some semi-connected, super-helpful, factual and to-the-point member w/ a proven track-record of accuracy posting the info here? You're livin' in the past, man.

However, yes, you can still look to the forum for positive indications of what used to be (the past can always be predicted with 100% accuracy), or the publicly-accessible present.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:56 pm

However, yes, you can still look to the forum for positive indications of what used to be (the past can always be predicted with 100% accuracy), or the publicly-accessible present.
You sure about that 100 percent accurate part?

Mike
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As a final thought, -if- such a change had been made for 2007/8 (and I'm certainly not saying it has)-- how do you suppose anyone here would even know about it? Some semi-connected, super-helpful, factual and to-the-point member w/ a proven track-record of accuracy posting the info here? You're livin' in the past, man. .
1. Hope springs eternal
2. Sadly, you are right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.