Wiki Posts
Search

Darwin...which property???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
Darwin...which property???

Will stay a few nights in Darwin, AU. I see a Crown Plaza, and two HI. What is the best overall to stay in...considering the entire stay/experience? Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:17 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Haven't been to DRW but I did a search and found some info for you:

HI Darwin v HI Esplanade

Personally, if I was going to stay there, I'd be plumping for the CP (if the uplift in cost doesn't bother you). The two HI's sound old.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:16 am

Programs: QF Gold, PC Plat, HH Silver
I've stayed several times at both HIs. Rooms and restaurant at the HI Esplanade is better than HI Darwin. Have not tried the CP, but I'll be in Darwin at the end of March and will be staying there.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:18 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by limbo
I've stayed several times at both HIs. Rooms and restaurant at the HI Esplanade is better than HI Darwin. Have not tried the CP, but I'll be in Darwin at the end of March and will be staying there.
I would go for the HI Esplanade, much better. The CP is old and its rooms need some work, it is also not in a great area. THe HI Esp rooms look nice although I have yet to stay there, I stayed at CP twice last year only because their rates were good at the time and cheaper than HI Esp.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
I stayed at the HI Darwin last week.

I have no status in the PC program and this was my first ever stay. I got upgraded when I checked in. The room was spacious with beautiful water views.

The HI Esplanade is only a few metres away and I feel either of the HIs are a much better location than the CP.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
From the photos, it appears that the HI Esplanade was once the Park Royal that I stayed at back in the mid-80s and at the time was one of the top properties in the city. However, no real experience, but if prices were comparable I would likely try the CP based on upgrade potential as a PC Plat if they indeed have a Club floor.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:46 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
However, no real experience, but if prices were comparable I would likely try the CP based on upgrade potential as a PC Plat if they indeed have a Club floor.
The upgrade potential is pretty much 0 at the CP, and no club floor, thats from a PLat PC member!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF Gold, PC Plat, HH Silver
Smile

Just left the Darwin CP this morning (Sunday). Checked in on Friday, was welcomed by reception and promptly told I've been upgraded. Room was a kind of junior suite - small lounge and separate bedroom.

Rooms and furnishings are getting a bit tired, but the hotel is in a relatively good location, with the mall and food courts just behind the hotel. The Red Salt restaurant in the CP is just adequate, with the usual hotel fare.

When I asked the reception if there was another restaurant in the hotel, they told me the hotel had an arrangement with the two local restaurants next door and you could charge it back to the room.

One of the restaurant, "Hanuman" is a Thai/Nyonya/Indian Restaurant. Had dinner there on Friday, and the food was quite good. My dinner guests were most impressed with the food and service. The restaurant next to it is called Lewinsky's, and it had a relatively wide selection of western meals and seafood.

I've now stayed in all three of the IC hotels in Darwin, and the experience at the CP is the best of the lot so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.