Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Adventure in BKK for one day.....what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, I hope someone might be able to help me out on this one...I have never been to BKK before and will be overnighting at SGS upon arrival from my JFK-BKK flight. We are arriving at ~4pm and I have reserved the VIP airport service from SGS so we should be in the hotel by ~530pm the latest....
Is there anything that I would be able to do in BKK from around 6pm till 12am or so......I have to catch a flight to DPS(mu final vacation destination) the next morning at 840am

I am not interested in shopping malls, or anything too western to do in the city....would be nice if something authentic could be done...I know it is short time but might as well see what BKK looks like.....

I know this is not the first time that someone has posted this type of a question but I would appreciate some feedback ...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: TG -*Gold, AF-Silver, Asia Miles, BA-Silver, AMEX Green-MR
The Red Light district (Patpong and Silom) would be fun, there's also a cheap market there selling all sorts of stuff. Or else you could try the Suan Lum Night Bazaar on Wireless Road (5 mins by taxi from Sheraton Sukhumvit). There's also a very nice traditional Thai show + dinner at The Oriental Hotel's Sala Rim Naam Restaurant.

have fun
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Hi,

can only second what Skyrider said. Obviously you´ll be arriving close to darkness, so the wats (temples) would make no sense. So go and enjoy the nightlife at the destinations Skyrider mentioned.
What location is your hotel? Because at 6 pm most taxi-drivers do not like the idea of going near Silom because of traffic jam. You might need to take the SKytrain though, which is not all that easy for a first-timer.

Whatever you do: Enjoy and play safe

F.R.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:33 pm

Dinner cruise on the river.
Colosseum near Thong Lor. Drink, food, and entertainment Thai style.
Hollywood Disco. Drink, dancers, live band, and DJ.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glob99
Dinner cruise on the river.
Colosseum near Thong Lor. Drink, food, and entertainment Thai style.
Hollywood Disco. Drink, dancers, live band, and DJ.
hey what places offer the dinner cruise...I notices that The Oriental offer a dinner cruise though I am not sure if that is the one that you are reffering
Tx
AD
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA UGS and 1K Thrice over this year
Visit the United offices on Wireless Road!!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:55 pm

If you're headed to the Suan Lum Night Market, take the subway instead of a taxi. Traffic is unpredictable in BKK. It could take you 30 minutes to get there. Your hotel is attached to the BTS/MRT stations, so easy to take the subway to Lumphini station. It's only 3 stops from the Sukhumvit line at your hotel.

If you're thinking about checking out the "Red Light" district, just across the street is Soi Cowboy.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
I'd say try one of the dinner cruises, such as:
http://www.chaophrayaprincess.com/
I know some of the dinner cruises start at 8PM, so if you go by BTS you should have enough time.

Or try Siam Nramit but you'll likely get there a bit late so might not get the full meal, but should enjoy the show.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
a good suggestion from soju. since u have to eat, a dinner cruise is ideal after ur long journey. i can recommend siam niramit for an evening out on an occasion when u have more time to enjoy it.

the dinner cruise that i’ve done (more than once) is from the river side bangkok hotel near krungthon bridge; on fridays and saturdays, telephone after arriving at ur hotel to check that there are tables available). u pay 120 baht each (this is not a typo) for the cruise itself - this is added to the dinner bill as a cover charge - and order from the a la carte menu, which is excellent and includes many unusual dishes as well as fresh seafood. choose the top deck (open-air) for ur dinner. when u’ve finished eating, there is live music and an air-con dance floor inside. i haven't tried the buffet cruise, which is 1,200 baht per person including food.

http://www.riversidebangkok.com/

ian.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:49 am

There is a dinner cruise at the Shangri-La Hotel. Dinner Cruise
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:11 pm

two words.....Muay Thai

Check which stadium has a fight, Lumpini or Ratchadamnoen Stadium.
You can call ahead to your hotel, and they should be able to tell you where the fight is.

That's going to be an authentic Thai (male) experience.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
two words.....Muay Thai

Check which stadium has a fight, Lumpini or Ratchadamnoen Stadium.
You can call ahead to your hotel, and they should be able to tell you where the fight is.

That's going to be an authentic Thai (male) experience.
Man, the Muay Thai matches I saw at Ratchadamnoen was _awesome_. Highly recommended if you haven't seen Muay Thai before.

However, not so sure about recommending it for a one-night trip to BKK (the dinner cruise sounds kinda better).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
I'm surprised no one suggested a 2 hour traditional thai massage especially after a long flight!

Try "Health Land", a chain of massage parlours who offer authentic massages i.e. full body masaage, foot massage, etc at a very reasonable price. I usually go for the 2 hours traditional thai massage, and it is so relaxing that ALL the time I will fall asleep during the course of the massage. ^

Go to the Chong Nonsi branch. Take the BTS (skytrain) and alight at the Chong Nonsi station. Then walk towards the building that looks like a ROBOT. And yes, it does look like one from far. The ROBOT building is the UOB Bank Building, and the Health Land branch is directly opposite the ROBOT building.

It can be very crowded during the evenings so I would suggest you make a prior reservation. It closes at 12 midnight, thus the latest you can book the massage (to fully enjoy it) is at 10pm.

Enjoy your stay in BKK.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:49 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
If you have the morning free, it's perfect for Temples. Not as hot, or as busy. Up and out by 8am... you've got a great chance to see the Grand Palace.

If you do Thai massage, 2 hours is the only way to go.
Or FOOT Massage. ^
I'd not make a reservation... just walk up to one of the hundred shops.

Great people watching all around Sukhumvit through the night.
Street market tears down about 11pm and the food stands pop up and are full until 3-4am.

If you don't like shopping, skip Suan Lum... unless going to the beer gardens with/to meet some friends. Then it's perfect.

Khao San Rd has some fun nightclubs and pubs. Younger crowd, but 50/50 mix between foreigners and thais... Suzi Bar up a back rd is usually jammed and a good feel to the people.

18 hours... not enough ~ too much ~ depends on how you do it
have fun
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: LX Sen, SQ PPS
Just around the corner from the Sheraton is the "Cabbages and Condoms" restaurant (in Sukumvit Soi 12, probably 500 feet from the SGS)

It might be an idea as
- you can dine outside (which is nice at this time of the year)
- food is local and nice
- it is very close to the hotel and will leave time for another activity (Suan Lum Night Bazaar, Muay Thai, a bar etc.) if you are up to it
- and it supports a good cause (the condoms in the name are reference to a community aid association focused with birth control that is supported by the proceeds of the restaurant)

However, note that the place is rather simple

Best, PL

Last edited by Pocoloco; Feb 14, 2007 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.