Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been offered to upgrade at check in for HNL-SYD on HA

Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; AA Plat; SPG Gold

If anyone has any experience upgrading to Australia from Hawaii on Hawaiian I would sure like to know your experience. I am planning to go in May to Northern Australia. Mahalo nui loa in advance.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by hawaiiroaddog
If anyone has any experience upgrading to Australia from Hawaii on Hawaiian I would sure like to know your experience. I am planning to go in May to Northern Australia. Mahalo nui loa in advance.
We've discussed this a bunch here before, so do have a search. HA F is the same wherever they fly, with only the most minor of food differences. LA, LAS, HNL, SYD, PPT. If you aren't familiar with their F service, again, there's a plethora of chat about it here. It isn't great, but....

So other than that, is there anything else you're asking about? You do the upgrade at 24 hour online checkin or at the airport. Not sure the price, for us as Platinum it was $250. So I'd guess $350 otherwise, but I might be wrong on that.

Hope this helps. If not what you're looking for, please shout.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply

I was more so looking to see if upgrades are usually available on-line @ 24 hour mark or at the airport for check-in.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:11 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If you wait until the airport, you stand a very good chance of not getting an upgrade that you could have gotten at 24 hours out via OLCI.

Moreover, if OLCI doesn't offer you an upgrade at 24 hours out, cancel OLCI, then check back in an hour or two; repeat as necessary (you have nothing to lose) -- twice I've experienced no upgrades available at 24 hours but one became available on a subsequent try.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Moreover, if OLCI doesn't offer you an upgrade at 24 hours out, cancel OLCI, then check back in an hour or two; repeat as necessary (you have nothing to lose) -- twice I've experienced no upgrades available at 24 hours but one became available on a subsequent try.
Will be using HA OLCI for the first time on Thursday, at which point in the OLCI process is the upgrade offered? In other words at what point do you cancel OLCI if you haven't seen the upgrade offered?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by mcc235
In other words at what point do you cancel OLCI if you haven't seen the upgrade offered?
Prior to printing your BP.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by mcc235
Will be using HA OLCI for the first time on Thursday, at which point in the OLCI process is the upgrade offered? In other words at what point do you cancel OLCI if you haven't seen the upgrade offered?

Thanks in advance.
The upgrade will be offered at the very first step after it finds your itinerary.

If you get to the baggage page then you should cancel because the next step is the check-in
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:28 pm

when you first log in, the upgrade screen with a name like upgrade.aspx or something like that will appear. if it doesn't pop up, it isn't going to happen.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:31 pm

Agreed.

On the off-chance that an upgrade does become available in the next hours because someone cancels/re-schedules, make sure you use the Cancel button. If you simply close the window, next time you'll almost certainly get a "Can't check in online" message.

Sometimes you will, anyway. If that happens, clearing your browser's cache usually lets you again check in online or you can use a different browser.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:50 pm

If you simply close the window, next time you'll almost certainly get a "Can't check in online" message.
I've gotten that message before, and just tried again with positive results. Also, prior to departure, you can do a "dummy" booking to see if F seats are available. If none show up, chances are slim.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
I've gotten that message before, and just tried again with positive results.
Sometimes I have too but when not, clearing the cache almost always works.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:55 pm

Sometimes I have too but when not, clearing the cache almost always works.
That is a great tip!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Cool Mahalo for your replys

You guys are No Ka Oi.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: HH/CX Diamond, VA/IC/A-Club Plat, UA/SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hope you can advise a fellow FT'er with some upcoming HA flights SYD-HNL.

Have you any experience with trying to upgrade in the opposite direction to the OP, from SYD-HNL?
From my understanding there's no online check-in from 'this end'...

Would it be fair to asume d/d upgrades offered at check-in if seats available?
Is US$300 the expected price?

Cheers from SYD..
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:16 am

There is no on-line check-in offered by HA in either direction, because it is international and their somewhat lengthy check-in process that transmits passport information to the governments.

Therefore, upgrades are offered at the airport. Not sure about the regular price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.