Wiki Posts
Search

What do you look for in a travel clock?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
What do you look for in a travel clock?

My handy travel alarm clock/flashlight got lifted from my bag last flight and now I'm in the market for a new one. I've no idea what the old brand was, so I'm just poking around to see what's out there.

Holy smokes, there are a lot of options!

What did you look for when getting a reliable travel clock? Time-flashlight-weather-radio-alarm-compass-some other feature I haven't seen yet?

I swear, I thought my last one was perfect until I saw some of the newer options available. A compass? Wow.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
What I look for is a hotel with reliable wakeup calls and a clock in the room!

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your theft. In actuality I used to travel with a travel alarm, but have found I don't much need it any more. When I do need to use one, the alarm function on my cell phone does the trick.

As for the flashlight, there are some super small ones....the size of a coin....that fit on a keychain. The LED does a very serviceable job in illuminating a keyhole, helping you find your way in a room, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Hi,

My husband just got me a new one for Christmas. I love it. It's from Sharper Image. It's called the dual time alarm clock. It has huge numbers and when you press the snooze/light bar it's lights up in bright blue. You can put the time of where you are and the time at home, etc. Here's a link:

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/se...ader1.jhtml.13
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
When friends and family see my travel alarm clock, they inevitably say "I have the same one." It's a cheap, $8, Timex. As others have noted, rarely does one need an alarm clock. For $8, I don't care much if it's damaged or lost. I don't like having things stolen, either, but better a cheap clock stolen than an expensive one.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Hi,

My husband just got me a new one for Christmas. I love it. It's from Sharper Image. It's called the dual time alarm clock. It has huge numbers and when you press the snooze/light bar it's lights up in bright blue. You can put the time of where you are and the time at home, etc. Here's a link:

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/se...ader1.jhtml.13
Fixed link: http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...ils/sku__SR362
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
That was nice of you to bring the link right to the clock itself. My link requires a search. Perhaps they should put you as the FT link fixer.

BTW, Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I've been thinking about replacing my current one with this travel alarm clock because it offers the unique and important feature of backlighting all night long.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:04 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I've been thinking about replacing my current one with this travel alarm clock because it offers the unique and important feature of backlighting all night long.
I've got a lovely old clock from circa 1948 with radium painted hands. It still glows nicely.... gives one a warm feeling....
(though I do sometimes wonder about the poor souls that painted it)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
That was nice of you to bring the link right to the clock itself. My link requires a search. Perhaps they should put you as the FT link fixer.

BTW, Welcome to Flyertalk.
Thanks, I've been randomly lurking for no apparent reason for a while now. :P

P.S. jimbo99: As always, Wikipedia has the answer:
More than 100 former watch dial painters who used their lips to shape the paintbrush died from the radiation.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I look for good usability. Too many travel alarms are impossible to figure out. I got a $175+/- alarm/radio/CD player gizmo from The Sharper Image that I just never figured out how to operate... I used to bring the manual with me and make a project of "learning" the device in hotel rooms in the evenings, but eventually I just gave up.

Right now I'm using the alarm function on my cell phone. It's easy to set, and it "knows" the local time zone.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
I wound up having to use my cell phone after mine went missing, too. But if you're overseas and out of range, you have to set it first and every time you turn the phone off. Not too handy, especially since I hadn't planned on it and therefore didn't bring the charger.

Mostly, I used mine when staying in hostels overseas where there's no wake up service. It didn't help when the chronograph alarm on my Timex phone died around the same time.

It's amazing how complex things are these days.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaiserjoeicem
My handy travel alarm clock/flashlight got lifted from my bag last flight and now I'm in the market for a new one. I've no idea what the old brand was, so I'm just poking around to see what's out there.

Holy smokes, there are a lot of options!

What did you look for when getting a reliable travel clock? Time-flashlight-weather-radio-alarm-compass-some other feature I haven't seen yet?

I swear, I thought my last one was perfect until I saw some of the newer options available. A compass? Wow.
I have one that consist of various time zones. All I have to do is switch the nob to a certain zone and it'll give me the reading for the local time.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
When friends and family see my travel alarm clock, they inevitably say "I have the same one." It's a cheap, $8, Timex. As others have noted, rarely does one need an alarm clock. For $8, I don't care much if it's damaged or lost. I don't like having things stolen, either, but better a cheap clock stolen than an expensive one.
Yep. I've got that one, too. No batteries. No electrical cord that needs a converter/transformer in foreign countries. You wind it up. And who would steal it?

I always have at least 2 alarms when I need to get up early to make a plane. Possibilities include the wind-up, my cell phone (US only, unfortunately), the hotel alarm clock, and a wake-up call. But I never count on just one if the consequences of oversleeping are too drastic.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:23 pm

Any opinions on this one from Magellans? I'm looking for something tiny, lightweight and LOUD. The AA battery thing is appealing since I usually travel with a NiMH AA/AAA charger so I can always top off the battery.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Same here: the only criteria I have is that I'm able to read the time without having to reach out and touch some button, so I bought a travel alarm with illuminated digits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.