Search

Bmi Buys Bmed Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Bmi Buys Bmed Confirmed

Dear Colleague

We have today announced that the bmi group holding company British Midland plc has acquired control of the Heathrow-based airline British Mediterranean (BMED). Our holding company has subscribed to new shares in BMED which will effectively give bmi a 99 percent controlling stake in the airline. In due course we plan to buy out the remaining minority shareholders.

All existing non-executive directors of BMED have today resigned their positions and I have joined their board along with Sir Michael and Tim Bye. David Richardson, chief executive of BMED will retain his position and report directly to me.

We are extremely pleased with the arrangements we have been able to agree with the current board of BMED and the majority shareholders. We have been aware for some time of the opportunity that existed at BMED but have only recently been in a position to enter into a meaningful dialogue with them.

Bringing BMED into the bmi group offers tremendous opportunities for the growth and development of our businesses. It places BMED in our family of airlines where we have a significant presence and standing in a wide range of markets. We will be creating an operation with a turnover in excess of £1 billion a year. It also enables the bmi group to accelerate its strategy of expansion into the medium-haul markets of BMED. They operate to 17 destinations in 16 countries and there is no overlap with any of our own current routes. Many of the BMED destinations have restricted access to the market due to existing bi-lateral agreements that would have taken us a considerable amount of time to gain access to. There are also a number of clear business synergies between our two organisations. Like bmi, BMED is an established Heathrow-based carrier also operating Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft with IAE engines and, like our own medium-haul product, they have a two class cabin. Improved network opportunities will also exist through our respective Heathrow operations.

The opportunity for us to expand the bmi group in this way is yet again a clear vote of confidence by the shareholders and their commitment to grow our business. BMED is a first class airline whose staff have worked hard on developing an extensive route network and a reputation for delivering an excellent product and service. I look forward to working with them to rebuild their business after some difficult times over the past few months. We have already reached an agreement with British Airways that will see the franchise agreement and any other commercial agreements that exist with BMED continuing for a transitionary period until the end of the Summer 2007 timetable.

In the short term we plan for the business to continue to operate as it does today with no immediate changes to network or structure. A comprehensive review of the business will take place over the next 30 days. For those of you not too familiar with BMED here are some interesting facts about them:

• Formally known as British Mediterranean, BMED was established as a limited company in 1994 by a group of private investors

• BMED has operated as an independent franchise partner of British Airways since 1997

• BMED flies under the British Airways brand and utilises British Airways livery and flight codes. BA is the worldwide sales agent for BMED

• BMED has a fleet of three Airbus A320 and five Airbus A321 Aircraft

• The airline flies to 17 destinations in 16 countries throughout Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia and has 770 employees

We start the year off with more exciting news about the bmi group and I am sure you would wish to join me in giving BMED and their staff a warm welcome into the bmi group of airlines.

Kind regards

Nigel
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Was just about to post the press release however it covers much the same as OP posted above except for 'An agreement has been reached with British Airways that will see the franchise agreement and any other commercial agreements that exist with them continuing for a transitionary period until the end of the summer 2007 timetable.'
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Very exciting news indeed. We needed some more routes I was getting bored of the US destinations for mileage earning etc.

I feel almost embarrassed that the majority of my miles in DC come from SQ and TG. Such that I might slip in a DME run to give bmi some recognition in my mileage earnings profile
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Not sure I'll have too much use for many of their destinations, although a trip to Jordan wouldn't be bad.

That said though, hopefully it will prove to be good news for BMI going forward. ^
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Not sure I'll have too much use for many of their destinations, although a trip to Jordan wouldn't be bad.

That said though, hopefully it will prove to be good news for BMI going forward. ^
Nor would I, but I get bored doing nowt at home, so I randomly pop off somewhere for a few days and these 'riskier' destinations are just what young Boddies here needs to bring him some excitement
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
Nor would I, but I get bored doing nowt at home, so I randomly pop off somewhere for a few days and these 'riskier' destinations are just what young Boddies here needs to bring him some excitement
If it is risk and excitement you want, just take a walk through Ordsall at 11pm on a Friday evening. You'll get it in spades. Much closer to home too, but no mile earning potential! (I am a Mancunian though, so I am allowed to have a dig at home! )
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well RJ are joining OW soon so Jordan will still be on the map for us
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:18 am

Good news for bmi, I think. And for once, it fits with a concerted strategy -- to build up a niche in medium haul and the Middle East. Excellent stuff.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:46 am

If it is risk and excitement you want, just take a walk through Ordsall at 11pm on a Friday evening. You'll get it in spades. Much closer to home too, but no mile earning potential! (I am a Mancunian though, so I am allowed to have a dig at home! )
As it happens RAPC, I visit Langworthy quite regularly, albeit in the hours of daylight! I live in Worsley mysefl.

I want to go on the new OS route into Iraq, mind you, I only want the stamp. It'll be a quick FR turn around for Boddies here and I'll be back on that plane like sh!t off a stick without leaving the termimal building

Might even be my last mileage run, or any run for that matter!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I hope this does not mean a change to the BMI Destination Zones?

Least now it should be easier to get to Zone 5 and 8.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
As it happens RAPC, I visit Langworthy quite regularly, albeit in the hours of daylight! I live in Worsley mysefl.

I want to go on the new OS route into Iraq, mind you, I only want the stamp. It'll be a quick FR turn around for Boddies here and I'll be back on that plane like sh!t off a stick without leaving the termimal building

Terminal buildings make great targets, don't you think
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:35 pm

Chorlton lad by birth, but lived in Swinton for a few years, so just down the road from you. Still visit when I go and see my mum.

I'll leave you to sample the delights of the OS flight to Iraq. The trip report should be good for the couple of hours you enjoy the terminal! Do you think there is a *A lounge?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Well, It 's a good way for scotlandyard to send back quicker terrorists at home...
I think bmi is courageous !
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:53 am

Even though that part of Iraq is safe as I think its mainly Kurds, I dont think I will be rushing there. They try to shoot planes down there as you come into land!!!

As for Yerevan , finally I can go and earn miles at the same time, I ve always wanted to go there and to Tashkent also. Much better than the boring JFK or IAD , im getting so fed up with those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.