Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The very bestest bar in the whole wide world ?

Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well ...I have to say the Ear Bar in NYC ( corner of Spring and Washington ) is the top of my list.Ne'er a tourist in sight and a place where a man can sink a few schooners in peace.
Then there's the Haunch of Venison in Salisbury,Wiltshire,England.700 years old,a small as someone's front room but an excellent pint of Directors.
The Roaring Donkey in Cobh,County Cork,Ireland serves a fantastic pint of Murphys.... with a great diddly music night on Wednesdays.
Bradley's Spanish Bar just off Oxford Street has London’s best vinyl juke (£1 for three spins). It’s hard to argue with a collection of 160 seven-inches that includes The White Stripes and The Who. They rotate seven singles a week.
I suppose any poll like this is subjective... but I'm always keen to try somewhere new !
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS,UA
I like the Bovine Sex Club in Toronto
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I definitely like the name - but what's the beer like ?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:42 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Minus 5 - I think its the coolest (or coldest) indoor bar out there.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:06 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by cpx
Minus 5 - I think its the coolest (or coldest) indoor bar out there.
Sounds like a clone of Uniq in Helsinki, which has an indoor ice bar kept at -5C. The walls, bar and tables are made out of ice, they give you a parka. This never made much sense to me given that there is plenty of cold and ice available outdoors most of the year. I suppose it makes a lot more sense in SYD.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: UA
Bar bacca in belfast ^
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
For me, it depends on my mood and company.

If I'm travelling alone, most nights, I like a place where I can interact with the locals for an evening. I prefer a simple working class bar; cheap draft beer and a couple construction workers downing shots. It's a far cry from the folks I'm with all day at work and I like the contrast. I've made temporary friends in places like this around the US and in the UK. We'll talk sports, politics or philosophy and I'm refreshed and renewed - and usually hungover the next day. Only had a couple bad experiences - the worst was the big ugly welder in Devon, recently released from prison for manslaughter, who tried to hit me up for a job and some cash. I bought him a couple pints and dashed out the door after I figured he was unarmed and slower than me.

Travelling with a group, I'll let someone else select the bar. I like to drink more slowly than the others and watch their foolish behavior. I prefer a place with no music and a tv with closed captioning and no sound so I can follow the conversation or not if I'm bored. These places tend to be attached to decent restaurants or hotels.

With the family, a quiet spot with a little class is best. Mrs BamaVol likes to retire early, so bars are usually afternoon visits. A sidewalk table or view out the front window is nice, and I like a simple menu with bar snacks or sandwiches for when mealtime rolls around.

No specific recommendations and I almost never visit the same place twice. Last time I broke that rule, I met the manslaughtering welder, so never again.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Red Square in Las Vegas (at Mandalay Bay) is definitely one of my favorites. The vodka (dozens of kinds) is very cold, the atmosphere is decadent and gourgeous, the waitresses and clientele are beautiful, and they have the best steak tar-tar I have ever had.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, AA
Seacrets, OC MD.

Although as I get older, no doubt my opinion will change. Starting to really like the pool bar at the Delano on South Beach.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: NW, AA
Sixty Thompson

Best is the roofdeck bar on top of Sixty Thompson in SoHo. Amazing views of the city and cool, hipster crowd. Nothing like taking a date there and watching the sun set over the city.

Only problem is that you need a pass key from the hotel staff or a room at the hotel (tres cher) to get in.

Jayson
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:38 pm

I'd have to vote for Distill, in Bangkok (http://www.thedomebkk.com/web/dist_gallery_08main.html) - sixty-odd floors up a skyscraper, with stunning views, a terrace with great big sofas to lounge on, and first-rate cocktails.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I do carry a soft place in my heart for any Viking Crown lounge on a Royal Caribbean ship. It's where I go to sit any time we leave port. The view is fantastic.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
The lounge at Tangerine in Philadelphia.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Unquestionably. In De Wildeman in Amsterdam. 18 taps, 200 bottles. No music, smoke free. It's ALL about the beer (and they have liquor too).
www.Indewildeman.nl
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
The Beach Ball in Newport Beach, California is tops...right on the beach and the place to be...especially in Summer months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.