Wiki Posts
Search

My Neighbor Is Gifting Me 21,000 AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
My Neighbor Is Gifting Me 21,000 AA Miles

She is insisting on it. It will cost her a fortune ($550), but she wants to do it. She is a woman in her sixties and says she will never use them. She says I am good to her so she wants to do this. woo hoo. Should'nt every neighboe be like this?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
why doesn't she just buy you the miles - its the same price and she gets to keep hers
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
She is a woman in her sixties and says she will never use them. She says I am good to her so she wants to do this.
Sounds like the screeplay of Judi Dench's latest movie with Cate Blanchett.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by n5177c
why doesn't she just buy you the miles - its the same price and she gets to keep hers
Actually, it's not the same price -- the maximum price on sharing miles is $180, not $550. Note, though, that this is only for 15,000 miles, which is the maximum allowed to be received per year. (In other words, the OP will not be receiving all 21,000 miles.)

Mike
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:11 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
She is insisting on it. It will cost her a fortune ($550), but she wants to do it. She is a woman in her sixties and says she will never use them. She says I am good to her so she wants to do this. woo hoo. Should'nt every neighboe be like this?
Why don't you tell her to buy 4,000 miles for her account and then use her 25,000 miles to buy you a RT ticket instead? Wouldn't that make more sense?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Gifting means buying miles for someone which costs the $555.

Sharing is limited to 15,000 miles annually but only $150 for that many existing miles to be shared.

Making her pay $555 to buy you miles seems like you are taking advantage of an old lady. Give her the $150 and do the other 6,000 next year.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:34 pm

I agree, you should have the decency to pay for the transfer fee yourself

Or, go even further with decency and let her give them to someone in her own family.

Anyways, just saying....
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Can you introduce me to your neighbor??
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Why don't you tell her to buy 4,000 miles for her account and then use her 25,000 miles to buy you a RT ticket instead? Wouldn't that make more sense?
This seems an optimal solution -- you either buy or otherwise procure (eg. i-dine or AA shopping) 4000 more miles and then she books you a RT domestic. I'm planning on doing likewise with my dad's miles, as for some reason, he wants me to have them. But who would look a paternal gift horse in the mouth?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:08 pm

What's the max I can gift/share/buy someone during a calendar year?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
... Sharing is limited to 15,000 miles annually but only $150 for that many existing miles to be shared.
Originally Posted by shoodawg
What's the max I can gift/share/buy someone during a calendar year?
There you go.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Gifting means buying miles for someone which costs the $555.

Sharing is limited to 15,000 miles annually but only $150 for that many existing miles to be shared.

Making her pay $555 to buy you miles seems like you are taking advantage of an old lady. Give her the $150 and do the other 6,000 next year.
15000 would be $150 plus the $30 fee.
https://buyaamiles.points.com/SM_Account.jsp
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
You are confused.

Gifting is when you buy miles for someone else.
That price is the same as Buying miles

If you have miles you want to trade to someone else, that is SHARING
https://buyaamiles.points.com/SM_Account.jsp

You can give up to 60000 miles per year by sharing, but you can only receive 15000 or less.

In any case, if she wants to share miles with you, then you should pay the fees. If you want a 25000K award, it would be cheaper for you to transfer 4000 miles to her account.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I told her that I couldn't accept her buying these for me and that I would be happy to pay for this. She wouldn't hear of it. I would NEVER take advantage of this woman or anyone else for that matter as someone here suggested. She said she is done traveling and didn't want these miles to go to waste

I just didn't know what to say. I was almost embarrassed. Happy, but embarrassed. She is not just a casual neighbor. I take her out and we do a lot of things for each other. I consider her a dear friend.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I understand your neighbor's desire not to have her miles go to waste. Taking her out now and then and keeping an eye on her present and future needs are the right rights to do, but so many people don't.

I'm pleased that the OP has been and will continue to be a good neighbor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.