Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How Do You Feel about Seat 1B on the 744?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Do You Feel about Seat 1B on the 744?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question How Do You Feel about Seat 1B on the 744?

I have the option of 1B or 2A/B on upcoming LAX-NRT & NRT-SIN. 1B seems neat b/c it's by it self, in the front center, but I gather the distance from each side of the cabin means it's hard to look out the window and down?

What are people's thoughts on this seat?

Thanks,
-B.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

OK, I read the Sticky.

I'm flying LAX-NRT. I think my top choice would have been 2F b/c of the Calif coast and less direct sunlight, but it's taken. 1B seems too far from the windows. Would you take 2A or 4F?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I've been in 1B and 2A (never 4F). I would avoid row 4 simply because its further back closer to toilets and galley. And more people passing by you to get to both.

I loved 2A. Nice window view, if you're into that. One small minor downside--I didn't like sitting so close to the person in 2D.

I liked 1B too (I dont care about windows). It felt very private, and you feel like you are the only one on the plane!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
2A is what you want if you like the view.

1B is what you want if you like privacy and the impression that there is no one else on the plane. You'll also arrive before the pilots.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qasr

1B is what you want if you like privacy and the impression that there is no one else on the plane. You'll also arrive before the pilots.
Chose 2A! ^^^

She reminded me to Book the Cook!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Chose 2A! ^^^

She reminded me to Book the Cook!
Which meal did you decide to have served to you?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Is this going to be your first time with SQ's F on the 744 BJ? If that's the case that is surprising!

After this you will further drift away from UA's 'premium' offerings

I personally would not choose 1B. It's too private and too isolated. 2A is indeed a good choice so you could make use of the several windows available to you, plus you could easily take a peek to your right and see who else is having caviar .
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I like 4F for the view
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't mind sitting in 2A as the girl in 2D was hot

I wish I could have struck a conversation with her, but the whole family was in F

4F for the Kebaya view
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC.SE
I like 2A for the windows and don't mind that 2D is relatively close (there's the "wall" there). But am also very happy in 1B, especially on night flights.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
I'm surprised that people don't really like 4AF. I personally really like it simply because it's so isolated from the rest of the passengers. Aisle is widest, and the galley and bathrooms are still some dozen feet away. 4A is my absolute favorite.

BTW, BJ, are you really a SQ F virgin? If so, you're in for a real treat. ^
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by globetrekker84
I'm surprised that people don't really like 4AF.
I prefer 4A or 4F too.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:55 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM

The OP asked for the recommended seats on SQ11. Everyone around here knows what my preferred seats on 744.
From the usual pattern for SQ11 after taking off, I always choose the right hand side of the plane. Sitting by the windows 2F, 3F or 4F, in a great weather, you will see Santa Monica, and the coast around, then my favorite waving habit to dear friend peter11 in SBA. Go inland a bit. Later on, hmm seems I have had 3 glasses of Krug, would fly above Pacific Ocean with the view of Stanford ( ) and the city in where I left my heart. Afterwards, really depends on the wind etc.
One of the advantage of sitting on the right hand side in this case, is the fact that LAX-NRT is basically a day flight. If you seat in A section, you do have to close the window shade to hide from the blasting sun rays. In F sections, basically you can open the window shade until up to north of Seattle, or after lunch served, and then I would feel bad if I do not closing the shade because many pax would be dozing off right after lunch.

In my limited experience sitting in 1A, definitely, it's not a seat with window viewing. Too far away. I observed that the guy or gal seating in 1B, he or she is a .... ( will not explain further). But the main point is the fact that I will stare at the wall, it doesn't feel exciting. Furthermore, who says 1B is the most private seat? I could sneak in looking from the back. And hey guys, I know what you did under those blankets and pajamas. So beware! And, to the left and right of 1B are the closets. I often decide to just hang my clothes in the closet by myself, after changing to PJs. So, for example, in the segment NRT-SIN, since it's pretty dark, everytime someone opens the closet the light will flash on you. If you are okay with that, it should not be any problem.

For whom traveling with carry-on, there is no overhead bin in 1B. Thus, someone might be unhappy not finding any space. You can argue to put them in the closet. But, the closet most of the time is full with the stuff stored in large bags for the flight, such as magazine, linen, toys, blankets etc.

Remember that in LAX-TBIT, SQ F pax using the F-shared lounge, before security. It's not worth a visit. If I have a connection from UA, I would stay at UA IFL first. And if you see a long line at TBIT security, you can ask the SQ staff to accompany you to bypass the line. This service is not available automatically. Many times, I have seen there is no line in the security. And I heard that TSA only issues certain allowance for fasttrack.

For NRT-SIN, there is not really a view to look at. It's a night flight. And most of the pax coming from LAX will sleep away. With the dark cabin, in this situation, I will seat in the last row, so that I can turn on my overhead light without being guilty it will bother the sleeping babies.

Of course, during a stop at NRT, I always run to the international connection security check, and I would have time to take shower at NH F lounge (in which my score for getting L'Occitane kits is very low.. 10% I believe). Then I will have time to have proscuitto with melon, or udon/soba, or those tiny cakes.

Enjoy your flight. And don't expect too much. After all, everything depends on so many factors. Well, if you have me and some other FTers on board in your flight, , you might be disappointed, that no more proper F champagne flutes available from NRT.

Happy flying!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
There's nothing like taking off and landing in 1B and taking in the views (directly or in peripheral vision) on both sides of the plane.

I agree that the spacing in row 2, with row 1 as the basis, is too close for comfort.

The only closet action will likely be around take-off or landing.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I personally would not choose 1B. It's too private and too isolated. 2A is indeed a good choice so you could make use of the several windows available to you, plus you could easily take a peek to your right and see who else is having caviar.
Totally agree. 2A/F feel more spacious to me simply since on is not looking right at the wall.
2D is not that close that I'd feel disturbed.
Babu, Try LH F upstairs and you will surely be more disappointed by the proximity to your neighbour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.