Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Americans: Would you travel to a country despite State Dept Warning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:56 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

Would you? Have you? Would you again?

Current List: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_1764.html
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
yes, yes, and yes.

Not sayin' where.

If you are considering a specific place (or are you just polling?) I'm sure folks here have been there and could offer advice.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
yes, will visit and have visited areas with warnings. Be unobtrusive, if possible helps-but perhaps I stick out in a crowd??
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Yes, I have, and I would again. My trip to Kenya was one of the best experiences of my life. Even the travel doctor seemed to feel impelled to butt in and say, "The State Department advises you not to travel to Kenya." I read the advisories in question and make my own decisions.

Jeez Louise, I checked, and apparently Kenya is still on the list. I'm confident that I'm at more risk driving around at home in New Orleans than on safari. Excellent and alert security at Nairobi airport too.

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Would you? Have you? Would you again?

Current List: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_1764.html
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: nada these days
It really depends on the nature of the warning (and whether it's a warning or a caution; they come in degrees). Is it a specific area that Americans are advised to avoid or the whole country? Are other Western countries warning their citizens off as well?

It also depends on how I'm traveling and with whom. As a young (and fair-skinned, blonde and blue-eyed -- conspicuous in some places) woman traveling alone, I'd hesitate to travel to some places I might feel safe visiting with a friend. Do I know anybody at my destination? Am I going four-star or on the cheap?

Most importantly, why am I going? I wouldn't take a vacation to, say, Afghanistan, but might go as part of a humanitarian mission or for work (though for the latter I'd better be getting substantial hazard pay). Will I be protected while I'm there, i.e. am I working in an embassy or for a company that will pay for security?

OK, I guess the answer is "maybe." I haven't yet.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Out of the countries listed, I would visit Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka (CMB run anyone? ), Uzbekistan, Kenya, Philippines and Colombia. Beautiful countries, despite state dept warning.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, I visit such places but I don't need the State Department telling me about the state of affairs in the world either.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I traveled to the USSR during the cold war. I went to Venezuela less than three months after the coup. No big deal. I don't think I would go to Iraq or Afghanistan, though. (My company has contracts there, but no thanks.)
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I did travel to Colombia twice and in general it's not more dangerous than other countrys in the area.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:42 pm
mjm
Original Member

Have done, would do, and will probably do it again given the apparent paranoia of the State Dept.

Jakarta is a great city and I have enjoyed it every time. Riots, and all.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Yes, the State Department is about as useless as a bag of sand in the Sahara.

Well, let me take that back. If they have a country on their list that used to be popular with Americans, then this will keep the rif-raf out and quite possibly lower package travel cost to that country....

But, as a trustworthy site, no, I do not follow their advice at all.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
I too have traveled to Colombia .. 9 times. It is no more dangerous than United States in my opinion. I would live there.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I haven't to date, but I would have no problems visiting those countries under the proper circumstances. In fact I plan to visit several of those African countries on a safari and also am going to seek work in Saudi Arabia in the near future.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by AdamSouthFL
I too have traveled to Colombia .. 9 times. It is no more dangerous than United States in my opinion. I would live there.
Speaking of Colombia being dangerous, they should include the District of Colombia on that list- it is at least as dangerous as most of the places on the list. (I know, I lived there for 5 years).
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:17 pm

yes, yes and yes

Its important to look at what country you are traveling to, if you are traveling alone (still not a show-stopper, but a factor in the equation) and if you are traveling on the cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.