Wiki Posts
Search

Oh, dear, someone's in the jump seat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Oh, dear, someone's in the jump seat

While I'm visiting the KLM board I thought I'd ask another question.

On my flight from AMS to BKK I was seated in an exit row - 9c on the 747. Luck me, I had an exit row. Not so lucky though as 2 people - not working FAs - were seated in the jump seats facing me and sat there for the entire flight. Is this customary on KLM? It was reminiscent of flying on a southwest airlines flight.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:57 am

Steve F.'s wits are required for an answer!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BMI Diamond Club, Emirates Skywards
Had the same experience last time I flew from BKK to AMS, when my wife and I were in 9b and c. One of jump-seaters was stretched out so far that there was no room at all. We assumed it was our punishment for being upgraded to the upper deck on the way out to BKK.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
I cannot imagine such a jump seat is comfortable for a twelve hour flight!
Too bad they invaded YOUR legroom space.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
A friend of mine was once in a jumpseat for 12 hours on a flight to AUA.
She said it was not a memorable experience!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:59 pm
Suspended

I very much doubt a paying passenger would be allowed to sit in a spare crew seat. It is likely the passenger was either an off-duty crew member flying stand-by or another travel industry professional on a stand-by ticket.

Either way, I think forthflyer has every right to complain if his leg room is being invaded.

If the crew seat passenger was a proper fare paying passenger then more fool them for accepting those circumstances.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by Mofomat
Either way, I think forthflyer has every right to complain if his leg room is being invaded.
Where does it say that this space is necessarily HIS?
What a selfish thought!!
Especially on daylight flights I've seen many passengers use that space to do some stretching, take a walk etc.

Another question is however, once KL starts charging extra for "superior" seats, then perhaps the situation changes.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:45 am

I've had jumpseaters across from me several times on the BKK route. It's a very popular leisure desination and apparently also so for the KL and other industry employees.

Remember one time, a woman only sat in jumpseat for take-off and landing, in between she disappeared off to the galley or crew rest area or something. I was of course very happy with that, I don't enjoy having someone across from me looking at me for 12 hours.

I guess WBC was booked solid
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:20 am

For flights departing Schiphol there are numerous ways for non rev employee travellers to ensure a place on the plane, including leaving paying passengers behind. When returning to Schiphol, however, this can be more difficult. A real problem for the steward on vacation with girl and or boy friend who must get back to make their next working flight. It is not uncommon for staff or family of staff to have to sit out an entire trip without their own seat - in a jump seat, if they want to get back at all.

Certainly not comfortable for the poor person forced to travel this way and also disconcerting for the paying passengers who are seated opposite the roaming ´campers´.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:59 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
BKK, the Antilles. PBM are routes that you'll frequently see non-rev pax using the jump-seat. KL will never accept a commercial passenger on those seats. And also never leave them behind to take a non-revver, as someone suggests in a earlier post.

On the B747Combi the crewseat behind row 45 is very popular. It has legroom and is quite comfortable. The small folding-down seats in front of row 9 and I believe 22 are a different story. The non-revevrs would also prefer to have a regular seat and not to be bothering other passengers but sometimes it's the only way out/home. I know for a fact that KL714(PBM) on January 2nd had 6 open seats and 144 staff listed...

The best way for a non-revver to go is still the cockpit jumpseat IMHO :-:
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Originally Posted by Mofomat
I very much doubt a paying passenger would be allowed to sit in a spare crew seat. It is likely the passenger was either an off-duty crew member flying stand-by or another travel industry professional on a stand-by ticket.

If the crew seat passenger was a proper fare paying passenger then more fool them for accepting those circumstances.

Dont you believe it, I have seen many paying passengers sat in jump seat on BKK AMS route and they are not crew or family or friends they were paying passengers. You dont honestly think KLM would allow anyone related to the crew or employees would be put in a jump seat, thats what they have biz class for
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Orange Fly
BKK, the Antilles. PBM are routes that you'll frequently see non-rev pax using the jump-seat. KL will never accept a commercial passenger on those seats.
The nebulous compound noun "KL" might not officially accept a commercial passenger on those seats, but the KL staff working the flight will do it, especially if it is a friend or family flying and the staff's slim chances of getting home that day are better than those of the date on their friend's ticket. I know, I've been there when it happened. Not a pleasant flight for those concerned and a bit embarrasing to be eating beggar's portions standing in the galley when they paid $1000 for the ticket. Of course a couple of bags filled with champagne and wine "borrowed" from business class to enjoy at home did lessen the pain.

And yes, KLM does leave paying passengers behind to get staff or family home. Orangefly is correct that the chances of this happening in the Antilles (e.g. Curacao ) are higher. How standby lists clear there is a fascinating subject over which is better not to ask too many questions.

Steve is also right that a jump seat is the absolute last resort after exhausting all possibilities starting with business class.

IMHO KLM would be well advised in future to severely curtail staff travelling priveleges due to the abuses and related negative impact on paying passengers.

If non rev tickets were limited to 1-2 per year (with blackout periods to elimimate situations of 144 listed non rev at the holidays) and
no one but members of crew were allowed in the crew bus,
many of the problems with abuse would be reduced.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:21 am

This happened to me on BKK-AMS in C class as well. I made a fuss and they offloaded the passenger - or maybe moved him to a y jumpseat (the passanger seemed to know the crew and looked like a KL manager - jacket/tie and all).
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Originally Posted by erik123
This happened to me on BKK-AMS in C class as well. I made a fuss and they offloaded the passenger - or maybe moved him to a y jumpseat (the passanger seemed to know the crew and looked like a KL manager - jacket/tie and all).

Been there done that and got the T shirt and still to this day enjoy bringing people over to China Airlines on the same route and listening to them after their first flight when they tell me they did not realise how bad KLm really was and what a pleasure travel can be when you get an airline who knows how treat all passengers
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Orange Fly
BKK, the Antilles. PBM are routes that you'll frequently see non-rev pax using the jump-seat. KL will never accept a commercial passenger on those seats. And also never leave them behind to take a non-revver, as someone suggests in a earlier post.

On the B747Combi the crewseat behind row 45 is very popular. It has legroom and is quite comfortable. The small folding-down seats in front of row 9 and I believe 22 are a different story. The non-revevrs would also prefer to have a regular seat and not to be bothering other passengers but sometimes it's the only way out/home. I know for a fact that KL714(PBM) on January 2nd had 6 open seats and 144 staff listed...

The best way for a non-revver to go is still the cockpit jumpseat IMHO :-:

Well judging by your answers you've finally revealed yourself as KLM staff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.