Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Arrow Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

i was at sheraton princess kaiulani for one night 1/6 to1/7. stay was booked using points. upon check-in, was told taht i was upgraded to ocean view room which really is just a partial ocean room view even at the corner of XX60 rooms. i was rather displeased to find out later at 6 pm that i was on a smoking floor and even then only after i smelt smoke. when i enquired, i was told yes i was put on a smoking floor and that i had booked a smoking floor which wasn't true. moved into a double bedded room 10 floors above. was rather displeased that i was told i was given high floor initially when i was given an 11th floor out of a 26 floor property. this morning when i called to check phone call rates, the service promise desk guy had the audacity to tell me to make a paid phone call to sprint to find out the rates as he doesn't have the rates and he cant find out. later, i was walked into, half naked by the housekeeper when i specifically told her that i was having late check out earlier. she didnt even knock. on check out, when i mention this to the manager on duty, i was initially offered only 1,000 points. when i said this was really minute and doesn't recognise the inconvenience i had to endure, i was told he would check. i am now at sheraton moana surfrider where the rooms decor are much better and there is wired HSIA. as i had to leave, i came back at 6 pm to discover a note from sheraton princess kaiulani saying my account had been credited with2,500 points. should i accept it or should i fight it?
also with regards to time share presentations, i was given "the talk" by a jack brennen who really was kinda not keen to do the presentation and referred to me as a kid which i wasn't happy abt. i am still waiting upon a usd100 food credit voucher to be collected tmr as the clerk had given me points instead. not sure what to do if i face trouble at the vacations desk tmr...

Last edited by trekkie; Jan 8, 2007 at 4:02 am
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekkie
i was at sheraton princess kaiulani for one night 1/6 to1/7. stay was booked using points. [snip] i was told yes i was put on a smoking floor and that i had booked a smoking floor which wasn't true.
Afraid it was probably true, though you may not have been aware of it. Why do I think this? Because Free Award Nites at the Kaiulani only book into the Smoking category. It's been this way forever.

Go ahead and try it yourself on the web. Pick any date (using Redeem Award) in the future at the Kaiulani and try it. Only "Smoking" comes up.

But even that is immaterial! Even if it booked you into a non-smoking room, it would be immaterial. Why? Because if you read the terms of the SPG program...room preferences are not guaranteed on Free Night award bookings even if your confirmation prints out as that. Here's what Free Nights print out under "Room Type."

Starpoint award reservations are for single and/or double standard room occupancy. Requested room type is not guaranteed for Starpoint award reservations.
I've been pretty lucky at the Kaiulani myself. Out of 100% of my many reservations being booked into the default Smoking category there...I've never had a problem getting a non-smoking room at check-in. This may have been helped by the fact that I always include "Request Non-Smoking Room" in the Additional Comments field.

p.s. and also sorta related: Even if the confirmation page states max of 4 guests per room...a Starpoint reservation only allows for up to 2 guests per room, and you may be charged extra for more.

These are confusing "bugs" in the booking process that Starwood should fix. But the SPG terms do print out on Free Nite award confirmations, and seem to supersede whatever the system coughs up initially during the booking process.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
In addition, has Hawaii rescinded its smoking ban?

It sounds like you did get an upgrade. IMHO, I think that you have already been offered more than was probably necessary.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
i was given "the talk" by a jack brennen who really was kinda not keen to do the presentation and referred to me as a kid which i wasn't happy abt.
Kids often learn by age nine that, in English, the first-person pronoun is always capitalized.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Sorry -- not much sympathy here. I'm sorry that the OP wasn't overwhelmed with a fantastic stay, but sometimes in life we make the best of things even when they're not perfect.

The tone of the OP's post sounds just slanted enough to not make me give it the credence I might normally. The hotel was correct in advising the OP to contact Sprint directly for rate information on LD calling -- particularly if the call was not within the USA.

Nothing further from me here.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wow. . .must be a cold day somewhere. . .I agree with bigjim!

Not sure what you "expected" but sounds like you expect quite a lot. Be gracious, accept the 2500 points and enjoy the splendour that is Hawaii!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
i had merely listed my problems as they are. You guys are really cold and mean.

I did read somewhere that Fters have got rooms comped when someone walked in onto them naked. Its not about getting compensation but getting recognition that it happened. Does it mean that just because im young that i don't deserve to be treated the same as the middle age businessman. Thats why im asking. Aren't we suppose to help each other get ahead of these companies?

I agree that i don't expect everything to be perfect and im not asking for the world but this is a series of 3 to 4 issues that happen on a first stay. how many things should go wrong before you would complain then.
as for the phone call, my issue is that i shouldn't have to make a paid phone call to find out how much the rate is when the hotel should know it off hand. Its for a call to chicago from HNL.Its not as if i didn't ask.

The hotel replied that they would post 2,500 points but im not even sure that would happen. I got off Hnl now and am happy travelling elsewhere.

hmmm.. maybe i should be equally cold to the next Fter who has a genuine complaint.

You guys are really mean.

Last edited by trekkie; Jan 8, 2007 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood

I did read somewhere that Fters have got rooms comped when someone walked in onto them naked. Its not about getting compensation but getting recognition that it happened. Does it mean that just because im young that i don't deserve to be treated the same as the middle age businessman. Thats why im asking. Aren't we suppose to help each other get ahead of these companies?

I agree that i don't expect everything to be perfect and im not asking for the world but this is a series of 3 to 4 issues that happen on a first stay. how many things should go wrong before you would complain then.
as for the phone call, my issue is that i shouldn't have to make a paid phone call to find out how much the rate is when the hotel should know it off hand. Its for a call to chicago from HNL.Its not as if i didn't ask.

The hotel replied that they would post 2,500 points but im not even sure that would happen. I got off Hnl now and am happy travelling elsewhere.

hmmm.. maybe i should be equally cold to the next Fter who has a genuine complaint.

A couple of things here:

First of all, if you think that people are "cold and mean" and "really mean" because we disagree with you then you're probably right about that. Secondly, perhaps it's a cultural difference, but no, the purpose of this board is not to "get ahead of the companies" and if that's what you're trying to do well that just seems wrong on so many levels.

You complained about things that happened (and btw - there is nothing that is "age" differential in your posts - I've had people walk into the room when I'm half-naked as well and I'm not 19 years old). The hotel offered you compensation. You were on a free night stay, you received a USD $100 food voucher during your stay.

As far as the phone rates - no - the hotel would not have all of the rates from HNL to other cities. I'm not sure how they could. Since you had your computer/internet access, why didn't you just use Skype or Vonage or just use a phone card that can be purchased at the ABC Stores in HNL?

People make mistakes. Sounds like there were a couple of small errors. I'm not sure why you think that posters here are being "cold and mean" because it's been pointed out that you have been taken care of by the hotel?? Perhaps you have expectations that just can't be met.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson

Sorry to hear about your experience.

If you were a true FTer, however, you would do research here and find out that the princess K is the biggest piece of crap... like hanging a large rat or cutting a massive oversized loaf. We're talking a big piece of elephant dung.

(only kidding about the true Fter part)

Your 2500 points that you got I would say, from this property, is pretty good. I'd take it and never look (go) back.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

... and referred to me as a kid which i wasn't happy abt.
Any special reason why?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

later, i was walked into, half naked by the housekeeper when i specifically told her that i was having late check out earlier. she didnt even knock. on check out, when i mention this to the manager on duty, i was initially offered only 1,000 points.
So you get 1000 points because you forgot to lock the door from the inside? And that is your main issue it seems.

That's what those lock things are for I thought - to stop folks walking in. Most Starwoods I've stayed at over the decades have 2 methods available on each inside door to stop others coming in. They seem to work just fine for me.

There are also those neat little cards that as a double check you can hang on the outside. So maids and staff can read them. Each room has one.

They say "Do Not Disturb" or something lame like that. But oddly they also do work.

Both are pretty useful tips to note for future hotel stays. IMHO.

Glen
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I agree

I just had an incident at this hotel also. I'm not going to go into details, but I agree with the assessment that there is a severe customer service issue at the hotel. I also agree that your physical appearance may have something to do with your level of treatment. It is also what happened to me and I observed other such interactions while I was there. Very sad, but very true. On top of that, the manager actually called me a liar when I said I was a platinum guest - have been for 6 years.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by 2cents
I just had an incident at this hotel also. I'm not going to go into details, but I agree with the assessment that there is a severe customer service issue at the hotel. I also agree that your physical appearance may have something to do with your level of treatment. It is also what happened to me and I observed other such interactions while I was there. Very sad, but very true. On top of that, the manager actually called me a liar when I said I was a platinum guest - have been for 6 years.
I don't think anyone has yet stated that this hotel is a shining example of a pristine Starwood Hotel high on the hill. To the contrary, this is a middle-of-the-road hotel that is aged at this point and does tremendous group travel business (think bus tours from Akron, Ohio).

That said, if there are legitimate customer service shortfalls, all of us would encourage those issues to be brought to management's attention and followed up on.

In my many years as a Platinum member, I've had numerous opportunities to discuss "issues" with hotel management and on virtually every occasion, I've felt very listened to and many times I've received follow up communication when I returned home. You state that you were called a "liar" by the manager of the Princess Kaiulani -- do you really mean that? Did he look you in the eye and say, "You are a liar!" If so, that's amazing. Or, did he disagree with your version of an incident? I'm not trying to get anyone upset here, but I've been around long enough to know that certain folks can get exceedingly upset and when issues aren't addressed just precisely the way that they want them to, they walk away from the experience infuriated and imbittered.

The OP tells us he was upset because -

- housekeeping walked into his unlocked, unsigned room. Agreeably, they shouldn't have done so, but that's also what room locks are for. 90% or more of us use them. They come in handy.

- Hotel operator didn't have access to long distance information. I find that completely reasonable.

- wasn't aware that booking into an award category gets one a ROH room that may or may not be smoking. Hotel will attempt to get desired room for guest, but there is explicitly no guarantee here.

From where I'm sitting, an offer of 2,500 is more than adequate since these issues amount to a small pile of small issues.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ldsant
Wow. . .must be a cold day somewhere. . .I agree with bigjim!
ROFLMAO
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:13 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani for a family vacation and my entire family and I ate at their dinner buffet (Pikake Terrace) the first night. I don't recommend going there at all. At $32.50/person, it's not only the variety was very limited and the only expensive item - sashimi was always out. Also, the parking structure was terrible. There's a lot of one ways but you couldn't really see those signs so I ended up having to back up several times in the tight garage. The rooms, too, are horrible. The Kaiulani Wing is extremely old (STAY AWAY FROM THIS WING AT ANY COST) and the Princess Wing is loud until 10:30 PM due to the nightly performances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.