Search

A Jetstar Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
A Jetstar Question

A question for the JQ experts.

On a jetflex fare CNS-SIN today. I preselected two exit row seats, available via the on line system to Jetflex customers, but got to the airport to find that they had been deselected! Was told that they were not guaranteed. While that is true I wonder what the purpose of selecting seats is if they can be reallocated, on a far from full flight, prior to us being sighted as capable of dealing with the exit row requirements. I'm expecting to see a QF heavy in my seat when I board! This is not how to win our loyalty. Understand that this can happen but it sure is frustrating.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I just checked the JQ website, it call them "seating preferences" not "seating allocations", I guess its symantics but looks as though you were gazumped. It probably also has something to do with JQ not recognising QF status, you may find its a NB who has stolen your seats.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas CNS have a reputation of popping regulars into preferred seating; I suppose it's contagious and JQ have been infected.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Had a similar thing happen to me on my JQ Int flight over to Bali - had window/aisle seats reserved, checked in three hours beforehand, only to be told "There's only seats in the middle section left". They promised to block off the entire row of four seats for the two of us though (and as you can probably guess, two people showed up for those other two seats). Was glad to take QF back from Jakarta on the return rather than another JQ flight, that's for sure!
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just noticed that on the seat preference pop-up when you click "Done Selecting" your preference is not loaded until you actually have to click "Finished" in the main window, I was wondering why my seat assignment was loading...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
I just checked the JQ website, it call them "seating preferences" not "seating allocations", I guess its symantics but looks as though you were gazumped. It probably also has something to do with JQ not recognising QF status, you may find its a NB who has stolen your seats.
Even better - no status! I spoke to the guy in "my" seat during our stop in Darwin. He told me that he had merely asked if they had an exit row seat on check-in and he was given mine. He was an American on a rare OW flight - he has no QF or OW status. And he was not on a jetflex fare. It therefore seems that, at least in this case, pre-selecting a seat is a con if your seat is given away for no operational reason. I'll take it up with JQ/QF on return to Aus - for what that is worth.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat one; VA plat
The same thing happened to my friend travelling to Bali last week in StarClass. She had 'selected' a seat in row 3, but when she arrived she was in row 6.
She swapped with the person in 'her' selected seat on board so that she could be seated next to her travelling companion. The lady in her row 3 seat said she didn't mind swapping and had not selected a seat when reserving.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:15 pm

Most airlines will not allocate emergency exit row seats online as they need to physically sight the person travelling to ensure they are capable of assisting in an evacuation. This means the person (in the opinion of the check in agent) can understand and follow the crews instructions, does not have any physical impediments, does not require seat belt extensions (too large) etc. I can only suggest you turn up early to get these sought after seats, or travel business class when you can get it.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

G'day jnjb and welcome to FT.

Many airlines allow people to preallocate exit rows. Quite often this is restricted to Elite Frequent Flyers those on Higher fare categories. Off the top of my head, I know of AA, QF, DJ and JQ; I'm sure there' many more.

In most cases, the passenger must be physically sighted by the check-in agent before they can obtain a boarding pass for that seat. Further more most carriers require passengers seated in those seats to verbally confirm they are aware they are seated in an exit row and are prepared to assist in an emergency.

FWIW, as a QF WP, I currently have exit row seats preallocated on 3 of my upcoming Qantas flights.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:59 pm

Gidday serfty,
I spoke to a girl in JQ res and she advised exit rows can only be allocated when checking in. When I told her I could select an exit row seat when booking online, she got a bit flustered and said we shouldn't be able to and she'd look into it. The joys of dealing with a "Value based carrier" I guess
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how long ago your experience was, but since October 1, those on the more expensive "JetFlex" Fares can pre-select Exit rows upon booking.

More here: JQ Allocated Seating.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Not sure how long ago your experience was, but since October 1, those on the more expensive "JetFlex" Fares can pre-select Exit rows upon booking.

Indeed. I was on a jetflex fare which enables pre-selection of exit rows. I don't believe my WP status was relevant. You can confidentally expect no recognition of WP status on JQ apart from access to the lounge, if there is one, and the points if on an appropriate fare.

It was a bit hard for the agent to determine that I was unsuitable for the exit row duties when the seat was re-allocated before I got there. I checked in 2 hours before - the other guy was 4 or 5 in front of me in the queue.

My point is that while pre-selecting can always be overridden by operational needs, it makes a mockery of having a pre-selection policy if you can get the favoured seat simply by asking for it.

However, I have sympathy for the JQ check-in agents. In front of me there were at least 5 arguments when customers presented with overweight luggage. The mood at check in was tense to say the least. These guys cop a lot of sh*t. I'll cover this in a trip report later.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
You can confidentally expect no recognition of WP status on JQ apart from access to the lounge, if there is one, and the points if on an appropriate fare.
My status or FF# didnt even appear on my BP, and when I asked at the QP if my FF# was meant to be on my BP or not I just got a blank stare.

I would be interested to know if status shows up on the manifest or it is completely irrelevant apart from status bonus.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your FF Number shows on you ORIGINAL Eticket PDF document and that's it.

IIRC, the reason for this was explained in a post either here at FT or over at AFF and there has been an issue ever since the ValueAir Absorbtion ...
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty

Well, this has changed.

A first time poster on AFF reported it yesterday: Jetstar to Honolulu - Best Seating?

Now all JQ passengers have the opportunity to select from most seats in the cabin, including most exit row seating. (If you select an exit row, you need to confirm that you comply with certain criteria making you eligible to sit in an exit row.)

Of course, this is still subject to issues as experienced by the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.