Tesco and BA [2007 archive]

Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Tesco and BA [2007 archive]

Tesco is a major partner with BA, and offers one of the easiest non-flying ways for UK BAEC members to earn lots of miles. Details of how the Tesco scheme works can be found in “The Ultimate BA Guide” sticky. In summary, you can convert your Tesco Clubcard points to BA Miles in the ratio 1 Clubcard point = 2.4 BA Miles.

As with the BA Amex, you can only convert points to BAEC accounts that are UK domiciled. Bear this in mind if you are considering moving your account to Europe to benefit from the lower tier point thresholds. However, Clubcard vouchers are valid for 2 years so you can save them up until a suitable time for you to move your account back to the UK.

The paper form to mail in clubcard vouchers for conversion can be found here: https://www.britishairways.com/execclub/tesco/form.html or you can do it online at http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=237 by inputting the code number on the voucher - points hit your BAEC account in 24 hours.

Special Promotions – December 2007

1. Tesco Grocery (expires as noted) £5 Quidco cashback also available on first order on any clubcard

750 extra points on a £50 order with XX-XKV6, valid to 30/12/07 (valid only on an account with no previous grocery orders)
200 extra points on ANY order with XX-CNLK, valid to 20/01/08

2. Tesco Direct (expires 30th December)

100 points on any order with code TDXR-NVRRW. Expires 30/12.

3. Tesco Flowers (expires 11th January)

200 extra Clubcard Points when you spend over £25 on fresh flowers and plants with code TFXR-TYEM44. Expires 11 January.

4. Tesco Books (expires 30th December) 7% Quidco cashback also available

250 points when you spend £15 on Books with XX117BKS, expiry date 30/12. Remember that you need to spend £20 for free delivery. If the '£15 for free delivery' special offer is running, you cannot have free delivery AND the bonus points unless your order is £20+.

5. Tesco Wine (expire 30th December) 3% Quidco cashback also available

1,000 points for £50 spend with XX-V15C
1,000 points for £99 spend with XX-J9Y7
1,000 points for £50 spend with XX-R72Z

6. Tesco Insurance (expires 8th January)

1,200 points when you purchase Tesco Health Insurance (points awarded at 300 per quarter for 1 year)
1,200 points when you purchase Tesco Dental Insurance. The rules here are vague - you get 600 after your first payment and a further 600 'will appear on your next statement'. Its not clear how many months more you need to pay.
2,000 points when you purchase Tesco Life Insurance online (points awarded at 500 per quarter for 1 year)

7. Tesco DVD Rental (expires 31st December)

1,000 points when you join Tesco DVD rental using promo code TDRCTCC. Expires 31st December 2007. In order to qualify for your 1000 Tesco Clubcard points, you must validly register for the free trial with the correct promotion code and make your third DVD Rental monthly payment. This excludes any discounted packages, e.g. gift voucher purchases and prepay. This offer may not be redeemed in conjunction with any other offer and is limited to one per household.

8. Tesco Breakdown Cover

None at present. You may want to REDEEM your clubcard points for breakdown cover instead - see http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=200

9. Recycling (offer on-going)

Tesco offer points for recycling old mobile phones (500 points if they turn on, 100 points otherwise - these are the new rates from 15 Feb 2007) and inkjet cartridges (100 points). You need to pick up a green plastic postage-paid envelope from the leaflet rack in-store. You can send in a maximum of five phones per clubcard per year - although, if you find a bulk supply, there is nothing to stop you picking up extra clubcards in store and later merging them into your main account.

10. Tesco Internet Phone (expires 30th December)

1,000 bonus points when you register your internet phone for either of the two new Anytime call plans (£5 per month or £8.50 per month). You must register online at www.tescointernetphone.com quoting NNF778. Subject to a three month contract, points will be awarded in May statement.

11. Tesco clubs

The best of receiving regular 'bonus points' coupons is to sign up for the various Tesco clubs. If you join the Tesco World of Wine, Food Club, Baby & Toddler Club or Healthy Living Club (see www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/clubs/ to join), you will receive regular mailings with bonus points offers. The Wine Club is especially generous with each mailing usually containing 200 - 400 points of offers.

12. The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card

The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card earns 1 point for every £4 spent (rounded down on a per transaction, not per statement, basis - so a £7.99 purchase is treated as £4). Points post as soon as the charge hits your account, not at month end. It works out at 0.6 BA Miles per £1, which is far worse than the BA Premium Plus Amex rate of 1.5 BA Miles per £1, but there are two reasons for getting the card:

a) some places do not take Amex, especially independent retailers
b) if you about to trigger the '2 for 1' voucher on your Amex but would rather defer it for a few months, you can switch to your Tesco Mastercard

You should remember, though, that BMI issues a free Mastercard earning 1.5 miles per £1 with a 20,000 mile sign-up bonus, so you may consider this a better deal than the Tesco card (see flybmi.com - although, as at 1 August, new applications are currently not being accepted for reasons unknown). Note that your Tesco Mastercard also acts as a clubcard, so you don't need to carry your blue clubcard around anymore. In a Tesco store you can, if you want, have your credit card swiped for use as a clubcard and then pay using your BA Amex for maximum miles!

Those of us who applied for a card before April 2006 earn miles at twice the rate of the current card - 2 points for every £4 spent. You may therefore see discussions in this thread which relate to the old cards, as many of us still have that.

(Totally OT, as this has nothing to do with Tesco but I don't think this is in any other sticky: you can also get 2,000 BA Miles by applying for the free Priority Club visa card at http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...pe/ukvisa.html. You get 10,000 points for signing up, and these can be transferred into 2,000 BA Miles. The same deal currently applies to the Marriott Visa card - you get 10,000 points for joining which can be turned into 2,000 BA Miles. Marriott also gives you Silver status for as long as you hold the card. See https://www.marriott.com/Channels/gl....mi?country=UK for details.)

Other offers worth knowing about:

3% cash-back (exc VAT and delivery) on purchases from Tesco Wine, 7% on Tesco Entertainment and Tesco Jersey and 3% on other non-grocery Tesco sites (eg Tesco Direct, exc finance and insurance) can be earned by signing up for an account at www.quidco.com. It also gives £5 cashback on your first Grocery spend on any specific clubcard.

If you were planning to book flights or hotels through lastminute.com, it is better to book them through the tesco.com link, under the ‘Holidays & Flights’ tab, to lastminute. You earn 1 Clubcard point for every £1 you spend, on top of your usual credit card bonuses.

It is possible to earn Clubcard points from Marriott hotel stays, and then transfer them to BA. However, you are better off taking BA Miles directly (2 per $1, so roughly 4 per £1) than Tesco points (1 per £1, so 2.4 BA per £1). You can no longer transfer Marriott Rewards points into Tesco Clubcard points.

Other cashback deals:

Whilst not related to Tesco, it is worth remembering that you can also get cashback on most of your travel bookings through quidco.com. The current rates for the major chains are: Hilton 6%, Eurostar 4%, Intercontinental Group 5%, Travelodge 3.6%, Ramada Jarvis 8%, Sheraton 2%, Macdonald 5%, Jurys Doyle 5%, Accor to 7%. Expedia and most of the portals also offer cashback through Quidco. Airlines offering cashback include Virgin Atlantic, FlyBE, KLM, Air France, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Austrian and Eos (a generous 4%). Hertz, National and Thrify offer cashback on car rental. If you are booking at an InterContinental, Holiday Inn, HI Express or Crowne Plaza, you get £20 per booking cashback via pigsback.com. These cashback offers do not affect your ability to collect points or miles for your trip.

If you discover any new offers, post them here and I will update this first post as we go along.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 28, 2007 at 7:04 am Reason: 200 pt flowers
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is the NEW 2007 Tesco thread. Please post further comments here and not in the old thread. Many thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:08 am
formerly Sparkster

Originally Posted by Raffles
This is the NEW 2007 Tesco thread.
Thanks Raffles for being such an excellent custodian of the Tesco thread. I'll be updating my bookmarks with this new page. See you soon.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze

Buying BA Miles cheaply through Marriott and Tesco:

125,000 MR costs $1,250 (655) = 35,000 Tesco = 84,000 / 111,000 BA = 0.78p / 0.58p per mile
Raffles

Shouldn't that be 112,000 miles?

Oh, and yes, thanks for all your effort.

Andhow
Old Jan 3, 2007, 1:51 pm

Better than nothing...

XX-FNBV for 100 points with any grocery order. Valid until 21st Jan 07.

Keep up the good work Raffles!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:16 am

Programs: BA, BMI, NZ, SQ
Tesco Diets are offering 1000 points if you sign up for a 10 week subscription @ £2.99 per week.

Thanks for all your hard work on the Tesco thread Raffles. Invaluable.

http://www.tescodiets.com/dietprofil...0_target&ver=0

Last edited by Rickshaw; Jan 4, 2007 at 5:18 am Reason: Add Link & Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:32 am

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
Great post. Thanks for your efforts, Raffles. I'm off to buy some Marriott points.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:30 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
recent change to Marriott direct earning with BA - now only 2 points per $, so almost certainly better to get Tesco points and then convert from there, even if only on one-off stays.

I think.

unless the pound gets to better than $2.40.

probably.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:18 am
formerly Sparkster

Tesco Breakdown Cover extended

7. Tesco Breakdown Cover (expires 17 January)

650 points for Total Care Cover (79), 500 points for Extra Care (59) and 250 points for Standard Cover (33). Promo ends 17 January and is valid for online, instore or phone purchases.
In-store leaflet advises that the offer has been extended to 6 February.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is a thread on paidtoshop about 1,000 points for Tesco travel insurance. It's not on the website yet so if anyone picks up a leaflet please post details.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:12 am

There is a thread on paidtoshop about 1,000 points for Tesco travel insurance. It's not on the website yet so if anyone picks up a leaflet please post details.
It is for The Annual insurance only. ( Cheapest 1 person 69.99 ) Purchase in shop or on line. Points added for May statement. ( If you are very Lucky) No code as far as I know.

I got a bit excited in store as it looked like you could get the 1000 points for a 1 person short break ( 8.99 ) but no joy at all.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:08 am

Programs: BA; Marriott; HH Gold,
picked up the leaflet last night was going to say I would scan it and attach as PDF here but dont think we can attach files - I'll find some way round it though ..
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:32 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
I found it actually on the date it was 1st valid from - Jan 3rd- makes a change me being current on these matters. The couple one for 84-odd interested me...since we don't have any insurance at the mo - and could time it to start for our next break. Anyone know what it'sr rival's cheapest identical cover would be? There's a website somewhere where you could plug in the stats & would give a list of quotes - forgotten it's name.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:50 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Points and Insurance spend

Hi,

Can you just update me on the "insurance" spend and getting clubcard points. I have Tesco car insurance and put the clubcard number into to the box, but no points have resulted. False expectation?

Is this the same with all other insurance offers, unless specifically stated?

Same with mortgage, loans etc. In this respect, it might be worth clarifying if "tesco.com" spend includes the click through to tescofinance.com.....

No, if only lastminute via tesco allowed you to book holidays for one person, which look suspiciously like my business travel trips......
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by spotwelder
Hi,
Can you just update me on the "insurance" spend and getting clubcard points. I have Tesco car insurance and put the clubcard number into to the box, but no points have resulted. False expectation?
It's a bit hit and miss, but seems to have improved recently. I took out a life insurance policy, and those points (2500 I think) seem to have posted OK. Similarly, the wine and electricals all seem to post OK now.

If your car insurance bonus points haven't posted, I'd suggest that you call the ClubCard helpline. They *should* be able to manually enter your bonus points. They may try and fob you off with "They'll appear on your next statement", but just keep a record of when you phoned, and who you spoke to, and phone back when they don't post on your next statement

Cheers,
Rick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.