Points.com vs MyPoints

Subscribe
I'm fairly new to all these point schemes, so pardon my naive questions. The only one I'm really familiar with is MyPoints

I've been a member of MyPoints.com for about 2-3 years and get my points by always clicking on the "get 5 points for looking" button as well as going through their link for some online purchases.

So far, I've received 1000 AA miles as well as a Bloomingdales GC. Not bad for something so easy.

Now on this forum, I saw a reference to Points.com and my big question is, what's the difference betweeen the two? Is one better than the other? Is it worth joining both? They have most of the same merchants for both getting and redeeming points and I'm thinking that to join them both will only make it harder to accumulate points worth redeeming. Or if Points.com is better, I can puchase though their links and just use the mypoints click throughs for a sluggish 5 points at a time.

Thoughts?

Thanks and Happy Holiday's,
Molly
I had a lot of My Points that I got from either pch or Readers Digest for answering a question every day. They quit the questions and I do not know what happened to My Points?
I'm going to move this to SPAM, as I believe that these programs are discussed there.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Quote: I had a lot of My Points that I got from either pch or Readers Digest for answering a question every day. They quit the questions and I do not know what happened to My Points?
Mypoints is still alive and well at mypoints.com.
www.mypoints.com and www.points.com are two totally different websites that do two totally different things.

Mypoints is a shopping portal which allows you to earn points when you shop (among other ways)

Points.com is a tool to allow one to convert one company's points/miles to another (but at a very poor rate). I have ~2800 USAir miles and I think points.com will give me 142 AA miles, give or take.
Quote: .. The only one I'm really familiar with is MyPoints
I've been a MyPoints member for about 2-3 years and get my points by always clicking on the "get 5 points for looking" button as well as going through their link for some online purchases.

So far, I've received 1000 AA miles as well as a Bloomingdales GC. Not bad for something so easy....y
Are you sure you got AA miles from Mypoints?

I've been with Mypoints for over 6 years and only seen UA as the only miles option since UAL is the mother company of Mypoints.

As for Points.com, the miles conversion/exchange rates are hardly any good for most of the FFPs. If you want to know the "track record" of them thru 4-5 new managements over the years, you can either search under Miles Buzz, AA forum and SPAM, you surely will see what had happened in the past.
Quote: I had a lot of My Points that I got from either pch or Readers Digest for answering a question every day. They quit the questions and I do not know what happened to My Points?
The PCH site was PCHPoints.com or something like that and they closed down a year or so ago. There was no relation to MyPoints.com which is, as is indicated above, still alive and well.
Quote: The PCH site was PCHPoints.com or something like that and they closed down a year or so ago. There was no relation to MyPoints.com which is, as is indicated above, still alive and well.
Thank you for the information.
Quote: Are you sure you got AA miles from Mypoints?

I've been with Mypoints for over 6 years and only seen UA as the only miles option since UAL is the mother company of Mypoints.
Oops, you're right. I meant to type UA and typed AA by mistake. I've gotten UA points from Mypoints.com

Quote: As for Points.com, the miles conversion/exchange rates are hardly any good for most of the FFPs. If you want to know the "track record" of them thru 4-5 new managements over the years, you can either search under Miles Buzz, AA forum and SPAM, you surely will see what had happened in the past.
Thanks for that info.
Quote: www.mypoints.com and www.points.com are two totally different websites that do two totally different things.

Mypoints is a shopping portal which allows you to earn points when you shop (among other ways)

Points.com is a tool to allow one to convert one company's points/miles to another (but at a very poor rate). I have ~2800 USAir miles and I think points.com will give me 142 AA miles, give or take.

So then are you saying it's really not worth joining Points.com unless I have some miles I need to convert?

I think I have about 4000 USAirways miles that will never do me any good. (I already get too many magazines) So perhaps worth joining mypoints just to convert those miles to a program I'm active in, even with the lousy conversion rates. Something's better than nothing!

Thanks for the information.

MollyNYC
Quote: I've been with Mypoints for over 6 years and only seen UA as the only miles option since UAL is the mother company of Mypoints.
IIRC UA no longer owns mypoints, they sold it a while ago.
Quote: IIRC UA no longer owns mypoints, they sold it a while ago.
They're still the only airline that shows up under "Redeem" though.

I prefer e-rewards.com, - they offer redemption on AA, CO, DL, NW and US. ^