Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I would imagine time of request as well.

I do know as for non-reving this is the case. The first time I went to SYD I was a non-rev. I had my visa and went into the airport to check in 24 hrs before the flight because they won't let us check-in online if a visa is required. That night a lot of non-revs did not make the LAX-SYD flt due to weight restriction (my 2nd weight restricted LAX-SYD flt now) even with many seats open. The next night (the one I was listed for), even though I wasn't there for the night before to roll over like they did, I was still ahead of all the people from the night before simply because of check-in time (read requested time). They all waited til day of to check-in it at the airport for their flight, I was proactive and did it 24hrs prior at the airport, and I jumped them all. I would imagine it would work similarly for upgrade requests for rev standby.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hiima
Probably already paid first needing to change flights.
This. Nothing in the OP suggests the two hadn't paid for their original F seats, and as discussed in the PALL list thread, paid F passengers reaccommodated in economy are basically at the top of the totem pole in these situations:
<removed circular link post merge>

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 24, 2016 at 2:49 am
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG PE
Originally Posted by rjw242
This. Nothing in the OP suggests the two hadn't paid for their original F seats, and as discussed in the PALL list thread, paid F passengers reaccommodated in economy are basically at the top of the totem pole in these situations:
Not entirely sure about the F status, but I was sitting across from the two as they spoke with the AAngel(same guy who checked my upgrade earlier and said it looked good) and they thanked him for the flight changes and requested that he "do your magic on the upgrade"... nothing ominous here, just fairly sure since they were on the upgrade list that they were EXP equivalent. Again, I'm not playing (and did not) the DYKWIA card. I am sitting comfortably at home trying to find out how this played out so I can prepare myself going forward. I just relocated to DFW and this will be my life.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 24, 2016 at 2:49 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by STO150
Not entirely sure about the F status, but I was sitting across from the two as they spoke with the AAngel(same guy who checked my upgrade earlier and said it looked good) and they thanked him for the flight changes and requested that he "do your magic on the upgrade"... nothing ominous here, just fairly sure since they were on the upgrade list that they were EXP equivalent. Again, I'm not playing (and did not) the DYKWIA card. I am sitting comfortably at home trying to find out how this played out so I can prepare myself going forward. I just relocated to DFW and this will be my life.
Well, even if they did upgrade, as I understand it the upgrade timestamp is preserved on same-day changes. So if they requested upgrades before you on the original itinerary, they'd be above you on their new flight. And as fezzington noted, upgrades will soon be prioritized by annual spend anyway, so this will be moot in a couple months
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington
I believe currently, list priority within status groups goes by date of request. If you change flights but the ticket remains the same, usually the date gets carried over.

Priority within groups will change to EQD in the last 12 months some time late next year (I think?)
This is probably the case. I probably lost out by booking a day or two after these two. My upgrade success since making EXP in July is 15 out of 17 (almost 90%), so I can't ..... too much.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Well, even if they did upgrade, as I understand it the upgrade timestamp is preserved on same-day changes. So if they requested upgrades before you on the original itinerary, they'd be above you on their new flight. And as fezzington noted, upgrades will soon be prioritized by annual spend anyway, so this will be moot in a couple months
Timestamp preservation would explain it..... in any given year I spend too much on a lot of my flights so, given the same situation in 2018, I'll go up to the guy, shake his hand, and tell him that he earned it. :-)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Quick question, and feel free to move this to an appropriate thread. Today RDU to DFW on #1052 I was #3 on the upgrade list with three open seats so I was hopeful and as the departure time came and went approached confident. The flight was delayed by about 90 minutes. I was sitting in the club after the scheduled departure time and overheard two guys who's CLT flight was delayed (they were connecting onward) working with the staff and were moved to #1052 to make their connection in DFW instead. They were both placed in the #1 and #2 spots on the UG list. Since we were all EXP (assumption) why would they bump those of us scheduled on that flight for weeks?

I'll add that I wasn't overly irritated because I had a decent seat in back and as EXP I've bumped people down the UG list with same day changes, but I would think that changing flights would land you at the bottom of your status category for upgrades. Can somebody educate me on how AA calculates this?
I've shifted this to the PALL List thread, as the discussion seems to have taken a bent in that direction.

~Moderator
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I don't know if this is applicable, but during IRROPS when looking at the standby list and when I am factored ONLY by my EXP status, I don't always go to the top of the list. However, when I ask an AAngel to also note that I am a inconvenienced passenger in addition to my status, then I always go to the top of the list.

The inconvenienced flag has some weight on the standby list. Perhaps it also has some weight on the PALL upgrade list.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I don't know if this is applicable, but during IRROPS when looking at the standby list and when I am factored ONLY by my EXP status, I don't always go to the top of the list. However, when I ask an AAngel to also note that I am a inconvenienced passenger in addition to my status, then I always go to the top of the list.

The inconvenienced flag has some weight on the standby list. Perhaps it also has some weight on the PALL upgrade list.
What criteria do you have to meet to be considered inconvenienced ? (Not trying to be a smart A$$, I'm really curious... )
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skydve1
What criteria do you have to meet to be considered inconvenienced ? (Not trying to be a smart A$$, I'm really curious... )
IRROPS: Ticketed flight cancelled (ORD-LGA or something similar). Given a boarding pass for a much later flight that day. Immediate next flight was oversold, and I was also entered onto its standby list, somewhere in the middle of 50+ waitlisted passengers, even as EXP. Went to Admirals Club, asked about this anomaly. Lots of typing. AAngel then said, oh, these other passengers above you were inconvenienced and that fact, combined with any level of status, pushes them above you on the Standby list.

I pointed out that I was also inconvenienced, and she said -- you're correct and it's not reflected in the record. More typing. Next thing I was number one on the Standby list.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
You were probably on the list as an RL, but you should have been RI.
RI's go to the top of the list.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
IRROPS: Ticketed flight cancelled (ORD-LGA or something similar). Given a boarding pass for a much later flight that day. Immediate next flight was oversold, and I was also entered onto its standby list, somewhere in the middle of 50+ waitlisted passengers, even as EXP. Went to Admirals Club, asked about this anomaly. Lots of typing. AAngel then said, oh, these other passengers above you were inconvenienced and that fact, combined with any level of status, pushes them above you on the Standby list.

I pointed out that I was also inconvenienced, and she said -- you're correct and it's not reflected in the record. More typing. Next thing I was number one on the Standby list.

Good to know. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by YtravelF
You were probably on the list as an RL, but you should have been RI.
RI's go to the top of the list.
Is that for "Standby" or "upgrade"?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:44 pm

I learned a lot from this post, so thanks to all that contributed/responeded. I would think that my 90 minute delay was an inconvenience equal to the guys that jumped onto my flight after it's scheduled departure, but no sweat. I did a same day confirm today from LAX to DFW and was hoping to snag an undeserved upgrade. Didn't get it, but I'm posting from home at the moment instead of from the airspace over Nevada.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
If it begins with "R," it's a standby listing.
So an RI is a revenue customer who is involuntarily taking a different flight than what they were booked on. They might be confirmed on another flight later, but their standby status puts them at the top for any earlier flights. The RI pax are further sorted by status, so an EXP who misconnects beats everyone, while a kettle who misconnects still beats an EXP who is attempting to SDS. Someone doing SDS will be classed as an RV.

Upgrade pax clear out of a separate pool. If you're booked into F (or any other non coach fare class), you can have an RI listing for F and will clear ahead of any upgrades. GAs know which fare class you're booked into and should process appropriately.

Hope that helps during your next IRROP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.