Upgrade at airport

Subscribe
What is the possibility of upgrading a Y ticket (booked in X class) to UC at the airport on departure? Either one way or return? Do they calculate the full upgrade or do they offer a special rate (say like TG ex LHR to upgrade on the day of departure). This route in question is LHR-BOM.

I did try searching but was unable to find anything similar .. apologies if there is something. Any advice appreciated.

With thanks
AFAIK this is possible, but not on tickets that are non upgradeable. I have seen it done before with both miles and cash at the LHR customer service desk (next to UC check in). Best bet is to ask at the CS desk before you get to a check in agent.
You would have to upgrade your ticket from X to L in cash and then upgrade from L to G (subkect to availability) with miles.
No miles
As I'm not a VS ftvl, I would be using miles. Can I upgrade using just cash?
I have a similar question, however with W booking code. What kind of possibility is there to upgrade to UC from LHR - BOM on VS 350? I'm assuming since W is full fare Premium Economy, the price to upgrade to UC shouldn't be that much.
I think sometimes no matter how much money, miles, status you have in your pocket or what fare class you're booked in they just don't do upgrades. Was told this at JNB earlier this year when I offered to use miles / cash to upgrade my Top priced PE ticket to UC (available) after I couldn't get beyond the waitlist for PE and was facing paying £1100 for a 1 way seat in Economy. Was finally moved up to PE when a seat became available when check in closed.
Quote: I think sometimes no matter how much money, miles, status you have in your pocket or what fare class you're booked in they just don't do upgrades.
Yes it's all a bit mysterious, but sometimes upgrading with miles at the checkin works. I got upgraded for miles from PE to UC on a SFO-LHR once, and they didn't even remember to deduct the miles! However, they also didn't give me any flown miles or tier points for that flight, and claiming them afterwards did not work.
But at other times they do the whole calculation and then say "oh but the computer isn't letting me do that right now" or suddenly decide at the last minute (after completing the paperwork and signing the miles away) that you have the wrong kind of ticket. I just always give it a try.
Definitely worth asking at the ticket desk. Earlier this year I asked at LHR about using miles to upgrade my N ticket (cheapest economy) to UC. In theory these tickets are non-upgradeable but I paid a bit more cash to convert it to an upgradeable economy ticket and then was allowed to use my miles. Note I only upgraded the return (PVG-LHR) but seemed to be more flexible asking for this in London than in Shanghai.
Is it possible to upgrade from K fare (PE) to UC using miles?
Quote: Is it possible to upgrade from K fare (PE) to UC using miles?
Hi,

In advance , I do not think so as the T&C's state the PE fare has to be in W or S to upgrade to UC with miles. On the day of departure you could ask at the airport.

Regards

TBS
Quote: In advance , I do not think so as the T&C's state the PE fare has to be in W or S to upgrade to UC with miles. On the day of departure you could ask at the airport.
Right. At checkin they can often work out a miles + cash deal (the cash is to change the ticket to an upgradeable one).
While strictly not possible, it HAS been reported on a few occasions that passengers have been able to "buy up" from a K to an S (with cash) and then use miles to upgrade the ticket IN ADVANCE.

There are examples detailed on v-flyer.com of this.
I read a trip report where someone actually upgraded with miles from N cheapo class to Upper from SFO-LHR without paying any fee - that's a real bargain!
No luck :-(
FYI - I was unable to upgrade my ticket

In the end, I had to purchase a comlpetely new J class ticket (ouch!)

I will see if VS will refund my 'non refundable' Y class ticket out of good will considering I spent just a FEW extra pounds on the new ticket.

Will report my progress.

I must say, though, I am surprised that I just couldn't pay the upgrade fee to upgrade my Y class ticket.
How much did they charge you for the J ticket?

It may well have been an "airport special" - in which case, they could have been doing you a favour...