Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Create It's Own No-Fly List

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Canada Will Create It's Own No-Fly List

Proof that my former country is governed by morons, Canada has decided, some 4 years later, to "appear vigilant in the war against terror" by making its own ridiculous list.

Story here

Vanessa Vermette a spokeswoman for Transport Canada said the move would provide a systematic list giving an extra layer of airline security.

Apparently Vanessa is somewhat clueless about how and why the US No-fly list is useless as a security tool and only entangles innocent people.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Imbeciles.

It's no surprise that there's an ad for a North Korea story when you visit the link.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Imbeciles.

It's no surprise that there's an ad for a North Korea story when you visit the link.
Perhaps you think they are imbeciles but let's be crystal clear about one thing here -- we have been pressured by YOUR government to set up the list.

Also, I am very puzzled about the rest of your response. Could you please elaborate re: North Korea comment?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Classzed
Perhaps you think they are imbeciles but let's be crystal clear about one thing here -- we have been pressured by YOUR government to set up the list.

Also, I am very puzzled about the rest of your response. Could you please elaborate re: North Korea comment?
But the Canadian government is not a puppet state with strings pulled by Washington and so should be able to stand its own ground.

In any event some of us are not advocates of this junk at home and we're not advocates of the expansion of the concept abroad either.

The North Korea display comes up embedded on the left-side in a small area when clicking on the above link. At least it just did for me.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...we have been pressured by YOUR government to set up the list.
And the Canadian government could show some cajones and say "your list doesn't work, and that's not what we're going to do up here, but thanks for asking". What does the Canadian government think will happen? Trade sanctions?

Does the EU have a no-fly list? No. Does Asia have a no-fly list? No.

Did the US demand those regions create one? Probably. Did those areas tell the US to go take a flying leap? Probably.

It's time for the Canadian government to go grow some cajones and think for themselves. US policies are extremely unpopular with the general Canadian public - why does their government walk lock step, besides Stephen Harper being a brownnosing fool?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:05 pm

As others have stated, your government is populated with imbeciles who do whatever the imbeciles in our government say.

Tony Blair's already got the bartending job locked up at the Bush Ranch after he steps down, but perhaps Stephen Harper has his eye on the butler or maid jobs that are still available?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
And the Canadian government could show some cajones and say "your list doesn't work, and that's not what we're going to do up here, but thanks for asking". What does the Canadian government think will happen? Trade sanctions?

Does the EU have a no-fly list? No. Does Asia have a no-fly list? No.

Did the US demand those regions create one? Probably. Did those areas tell the US to go take a flying leap? Probably.

It's time for the Canadian government to go grow some cajones and think for themselves. US policies are extremely unpopular with the general Canadian public - why does their government walk lock step, besides Stephen Harper being a brownnosing fool?
First of all, let's not forget that the US and Canada have a free trade agreement and our economies are closely tied together. Whether we like it or not, it's a fact of life that our two countries rely heavily on the daily trans-border traffic.

Although I am not a Harper fan, I can assure you that the Canadian Government does not walk in lock step with the US. We were slammed by your citizens because we did not join in the Iraq war. We have been blamed for allowing terrorists into our country so they can make their way to yours. I could go on and on. Our country is NOT your personal whipping board.

The US has huge political problems of it's own, right now, so why not concentrate on them instead of making inaccurate, sweeping statements about Canadian politics.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
As others have stated, your government is populated with imbeciles who do whatever the imbeciles in our government say.

Tony Blair's already got the bartending job locked up at the Bush Ranch after he steps down, but perhaps Stephen Harper has his eye on the butler or maid jobs that are still available?
I know you don't care but I really resent your negative comments about Canadian politics. Come live here, pay your taxes here, and vote here -- then you can spout off all you want.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:08 pm

I know you don't care but I really resent your negative comments about Canadian politics. Come live here, pay your taxes here, and vote here -- then you can spout off all you want.
Sorry, but I don't disparage Canadian politics while touting my own country's. If I did that, I'd see the validity of your resentment.

However, since I have bashed not only my own country's stupidity but also any country's stupidity that is done in accordance with my own country's stupidity, I fail to see the reason for your resentment.

Free trade agreement: ^ cool.

Reciprocal harassment: not cool.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

First of all, let's not forget that the US and Canada have a free trade agreement and our economies are closely tied together. Whether we like it or not, it's a fact of life that our two countries rely heavily on the daily trans-border traffic.

Although I am not a Harper fan, I can assure you that the Canadian Government does not walk in lock step with the US. We were slammed by your citizens because we did not join in the Iraq war. We have been blamed for allowing terrorists into our country so they can make their way to yours. I could go on and on. Our country is NOT your personal whipping board.

The US has huge political problems of it's own, right now, so why not concentrate on them instead of making inaccurate, sweeping statements about Canadian politics.
As a Canadian citizen and passport holder, I am well within my rights to openly critcize and lampoon Canadian politics.

A free-trade agreement and close economic ties do not require Canada act as a US policy proxy. This is like sucking up to the boss or teacher, and it's pretty poor policy.

If Canada is criticized, they can show some backbone and fight back. However, I will be among the first to criticize Canada's open border policy - which does make it easy for every crook, miscreant and yes, terrorist, to waltz into Canada - and once there, sign up for free health care, subsidized housing, food allowance, spending money and job assistance.

As a taxpayer in Canada, I would be outraged (and many are) that this overly liberal policy provides a virtual slot machine jackpot to every miscreant who washes up on the beach, yet continues to keep legimate immigrants out, and causes emotional strife by breaking up families when authorities decide to deport someone who should be left alone.

I doubt that Canada's refusal to develop a no-fly list is going to result in a shut border or travel restrictions more restrictive than the upcoming passport/USVisit requirements. When the EU/Asia refused no fly list requests, did the US cut them off? No. Mexico relies heavily on the US for its economic existence - I don't recall reading about a no fly list in Mexico either.

Show some backbone and learn how to stand up and be independent.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Living in a place, paying taxes in a place and voting in a place are not a requirement to voice an opinion about things in this arena.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Living in a place, paying taxes in a place and voting in a place are not a requirement to voice an opinion about things in this arena.
Not a requirement, but they do lend a little legitimacy to the opinion.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by etch5895
Not a requirement, but they do lend a little legitimacy to the opinion.
If those are the criteria required to lend legitimacy to an opinion, I'd never be able to legitimately criticize Saudi Arabia and certainly not North Korea. And I think my opinions about Saudi Arabia tend to be rather legitimate ones -- legitimate enough that I'm not entirely ostracized even when not living there, certainly not voting, and only paying incidental taxes at most while there.

Not necessarily, but those very mentioned criteria could also tend to strip legitimacy from an opinion too -- especially as such could be an indicator of being too wrapped up in a system to examine it objectively.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:13 pm

I think ALL politicians are morons. It doesn't really matter which country they come from. None of them seem to understand their citizenry, and tend to make overly complex and ridiculous laws and policies.

This isn't a swipe at Canada. My fiancee is Canadian. I've been to Canada. I think it's a really nice place. I'm visiting Canada again this winter (which, I know, sounds somewhat crazy, but I'll be in Vancouver, so it won't be bitter cold...) and I'm really looking forward to it.

When judged by land and people, both the U.S. and Canada are great countries in their own right. Both have things to be very proud about. However, both also have idiotic politicians in the driver's seat. And this isn't something unique to America or Canada, it happens this way all over the world.

Politicians are, for lack of a better word, jerks. They tend to think about what will bring them political gain and glory, and what will get them re-elected, as opposed to what's better for the people (who got them elected in the first place!) as a whole.

But this is my point-of-view. Maybe someone else has a different one.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Apparently Vanessa is somewhat clueless about how and why the US No-fly list is useless as a security tool and only entangles innocent people.
Wow, amazing, you'd think that the no-fly list would randomly catch the odd bad guy.

Well, I guess you would know best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.