Wiki Posts
Search

LGW Turnarounds?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
LGW Turnarounds?

(Did a search, but didn't find anything using these search words.)

Thinking of doing some DTW-LGW turn-arounds next year, all carry-on, fares look good through Mar. Any issues with doing a turnaround in LGW? Looks like there's about 3 hours on the ground. Do you have to pass through customs? Do they look for MR'ers, and give them grief?

Thanks!

Steve B.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sbagdon

Thinking of doing some DTW-LGW turn-arounds next year, all carry-on, fares look good through Mar. Any issues with doing a turnaround in LGW? Looks like there's about 3 hours on the ground. Do you have to pass through customs? Do they look for MR'ers, and give them grief?

Thanks!

Steve B.
I posted the same question here on the DL forum - got some good answers...except for the grief question...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much. Guess I'm going to have to study-up on the LGW security rules. But besides that, I figure it shouldn't be an issue.

Steve B.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:34 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Steve,
Why didn't the MSP-LGW deal work out for you? the 150% EQM should be right up your alley (well, any mileage runner, really).

Originally Posted by sbagdon

Thanks!

Steve B.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:55 pm

Steve, from the DL thread it looks like ppl are advocating going through security/ customs at LGW. I did a DTW-LGW turn about a year ago, saw the long lines at customs and "chose" not to go through. No one said anything, I made my flight back home, and all was good.

Granted security may be tighter in light of recent events, but if you have the time to sift through the 950+ messages in the CO Y fare mistake thread, people discussed this same point and I believe that the consensus was that you would NOT need to go through customs.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BTA
Steve,
Why didn't the MSP-LGW deal work out for you? the 150% EQM should be right up your alley (well, any mileage runner, really).
Didn't act fast, but I'll look into this (is it still good?). But my requirements are more time-based, then distance-based. DTW-LGW means out at 9pm, back by 5pm. Adding FNT means out at 3pm, back by 9pm.

Steve B.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:48 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Just did an LGW run using AA, with only 3 hours on the ground. I chose to get out of the airport & take the train to a nearby town to just walk around, get some air, etc. BUT, I didn't have to...I easily could have just stayed "airside" longer, chilling out in the BA Terraces Lounge for the entire time. (I enjoyed about 2 hours of outside walking, then came back to the BA Terr. for lunch before the flight---plenty of time for that, inclusive of the customs lines, during that 3 hours).

I would think on NWA you'd be able to do something similar as far as staying airside. (some would miss the "passport stamp" that you actually entered the UK, but it's not a dealbreaker for me).
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:53 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Saw this mentioned, but no answer in the DL thread... Does CO give fast-track passes for Biz-First pax?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:18 am

Programs: BA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by 3timesalady
Steve, from the DL thread it looks like ppl are advocating going through security/ customs at LGW. I did a DTW-LGW turn about a year ago, saw the long lines at customs and "chose" not to go through. No one said anything, I made my flight back home, and all was good.

Granted security may be tighter in light of recent events, but if you have the time to sift through the 950+ messages in the CO Y fare mistake thread, people discussed this same point and I believe that the consensus was that you would NOT need to go through customs.
How did you get through flight connect if you stayed airside? Don't you need a boarding pass to be allowed to stay airside? That seems to me the only reason why to go through passport control. Then you have to check in for the return flight and get your BP.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mr MCO
How did you get through flight connect if you stayed airside? Don't you need a boarding pass to be allowed to stay airside? That seems to me the only reason why to go through passport control. Then you have to check in for the return flight and get your BP.
This was a year ago, can't remember the specific flight departure times and which ones left within 24 hours of my check-in, but I know for sure that I had the LGW-DTW BP in hand before I left Chicago. But supposing I hadn't -- could I not have gone to a connections desk airside to get BPs for the remaining flight segments?

Actually I'm confused. I do remember talking to someone at a NW desk once I got to LGW (connection desk? no idea), but cannot remember if the agent printed anything for me or not. I know for sure that I did not go through passport control, and I know for sure that I had to get my last BP in Detroit, so I am assuming that I had the LGW-DTW BP in hand in Chicago and that nothing was given to me in LGW.

But, the bigger question is - can you check in for a return on a transatlantic flight at the point of departure as long as you are w/in 24 hours (I think the answer is yes)? And if you are connecting through a number of domestic airports, can you get check in at the last point for the return (assuming that the first connection was outside the 24 hour window and the last one is inside -- again, I'd like to think yes)?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: BA, DL, AA
I have only done BA who uses the north terminal. They have a counter for connecting flights if you did not receive your BP for the connecting flight on your first flight. I do not recall any other counter within this connecting area. I know other airlines also use the North terminal (including DL). It is possible that you could do this within the South terminal??? I do not see why an American company would have a counter for connections, but maybe there are alliances counters for connections???? Anyone can expand???
Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
I did a quick turn on CO last January. I was going to go out, but decided to stay inside security at the last minute. As you wind through the halls to get to customs, there is a little turn off just before for connections. I just went through there, and checked-in at a small counter there. I got a few funny looks when the agent asked where I came in from (EWR) and where I was going (IAH), but they didn't seem to mind. One of the guys even chuckled and asked if I was doing it for extra miles. Don't know if things have changed since late this summer, but it was real easy last winter. Enjoy.

dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.