Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Classic and ClassicPLus Aeroplan flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold

Just checking out the flights on the Aeroplan website and while availability seems open, I was shocked at the redemption rat for ClassicPlus and Biz flights.

The new site will give you a biz class only selection (as opposed to before where you would choose Business and they could give you a mixed option where even one flight upfront counted as a Biz itinerary).

The 4 week availability is now yellow (Classic) and blue (ClassicPlus/Biz) colour-coded. Short-haul is 15/22.5K for econ flights, NA is 25/40K, but what struck me was the Biz flights for Asia ranged from 100K (mixed *), to 115K (AC only) and up to 395K !!!! <Picking myself up off the floor and moving away from the computer>
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The filter to show only business class is a great improvement.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:59 am

What would be very useful is the ability to piece together individual segments in a chosen class of service, rather than the system sticking them together to give the shortest connection time, but thereby forcing one segment into J, for example.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neuron
The 4 week availability is now yellow (Classic) and blue (ClassicPlus/Biz) colour-coded. Short-haul is 15/22.5K for econ flights, NA is 25/40K, but what struck me was the Biz flights for Asia ranged from 100K (mixed *), to 115K (AC only) and up to 395K !!!! <Picking myself up off the floor and moving away from the computer>

You got me concerened for a minute.

But these figures, 100k for a Star award to Asia, and 115k on AC only, are not new. Has been like that for a while. So I suppose it's safe to assume for SEs, if instant KK remains, there is no real change.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: AP elite; aa; USair; Delta; NWA
Classic plus Ottawa to Vancouver via toronto is 51,000 economy !! Business class is 160,250. The value of one's points have dropped by half or more if one uses this option. Probably better to book star alliance rewards through the USA if classic awards not available. Fly to Chicago or New York and then wherever in Canada you are going.

Given that one is also giving up the points when using a reward ticket that one would earn by paying for a flight, using the Classic plus option would only make sense if one had so many points that it was better using them at less than half their value, rather than not at all.

I have now given up my Aerogold Visa -- and gone to MBNA platinum plus so I can choose which airline my points go to and save the 120 dollars as well. (I have points on Delta, American, KLM and US Air which I can now top up enough to get a reward.) I even get purchase protection which I did not have with Aerogold. I obviously do not need more half value Aeroplan points.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Looked up a business award for one YYZ-LHR ticket next May. 301,250 miles is all that is required plus all the fees. ROFLMFAO!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Stranger
So I suppose it's safe to assume for SEs, if instant KK remains, there is no real change.
It looks like instant KK remains for SEs. I think we'll all have fun playing with this for a while, the interface seems much improved at first glance.

I tried a few routes with my wife's Elite account and got results of +300k for YYZ-LHR in Business, 135.5k to YVR, etc. I'm sure someone will work out the implied redemption rate soon enough.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by auerbal
Classic plus Ottawa to Vancouver via toronto is 51,000 economy !! Business class is 160,250. The value of one's points have dropped by half or more if one uses this option. Probably better to book star alliance rewards through the USA if classic awards not available. Fly to Chicago or New York and then wherever in Canada you are going
ClassicPlus flights still start at the same level as the old Avenue reward levels. The flight you searched would most likely not have been available previously. Would be interested to know what date you were looking at. 51,000 for a last minute flight may be reasonable for some people.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
ClassicPlus flights still start at the same level as the old Avenue reward levels. The flight you searched would most likely not have been available previously. Would be interested to know what date you were looking at. 51,000 for a last minute flight may be reasonable for some people.
But these award levels are higher than most if not all US carriers' rule buster or similar type redemptions where you fly if there is a Y seat open. As long as regular inventory remains unchanged I could care less (however am skeptical on that remaining the same).
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The interface is indeed much better.

Spending as many points as it would cost on ANZ to take their amazing business class service all the way from YYZ -- for a business class flight to Miami -- not so hot! (97,500)
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Also another ^ ^ ^ = searching multiple destinations at once!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is another example:

15 Nov YWG-LHR D Class available at cost of 350K
22 Nov LHR-YWG

Then I moved to six months later

15 May YWG-LHR D Class available at cost of 350K
22 May LHR-YWG

Last edited by airbus320; Oct 14, 2006 at 10:25 am Reason: to add second scenario
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan Canada (25k), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Platinum)
deleted

Last edited by mars1982; Oct 14, 2006 at 10:31 am Reason: error in post
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...out of curiousity, I looked for LHR D class for tomorrow with a return this coming Wed.

There is D class availability...... 560K AE miles !!!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:25 am

Are they insane?

Lets compare with the rates charged by some of the US airlines for "unlimited capacity" J seats between N. America and Europe:

UA 150,000
AA 180,000
NW 200,000
etc

AC 350-560,000 (or so it appears at a first look)

What are they thinking? Do they really think this is competitive? Nevermind the fact that Ac has only 2 seats available at regular rates while their compoetitors usually have more. It will take some more time to sort out the details of the enw program but this seems like insanity.

Plus looks like no preferred rates for Es and Ps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.