A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Subscribe
So Close to 100K MQMs
I currently sit with 98,400 MQMs despite my determination not to chase MQMs this year, and my intentions to move onward to another carrier starting in 2004, probably NW. The MQMs are as a result of some carryover from last year, some discounted FC (A) fares, some discounted overseas travel (I) and a 10K Amex threshold bonus.

But it would be crazy not to get that last little bit to get to 100K and make PM once again. Especially with a new regime coming onboard! So I'll probably take a mileage run to get that last 1600 MQMs before the end of the year!
Remember, if you were PM the three years previous to this year, the grandfather rule allows you to earn PM based on segments.

marc
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
I currently sit with 98,400 MQMs </font>
I'm sitting almost exactly where you are...at 98,550. I thought I'd be over the top by now but some canceled trips combined with switching to WN on the one route I most often fly has kept me short. However, I have a DL transcon booked and paid for over the holidays so I'll be comfortably over the top by 12/31.
I'm supposed to be lifetime PM anyway next year but I prefer to earn it the old fashioned way in case somebody decides the lifetime thing isn't such a great idea.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
I'm supposed to be lifetime PM anyway next year but I prefer to earn it the old fashioned way in case somebody decides the lifetime thing isn't such a great idea.
</font>
Unfortunately, "lifetime" is no longer offered through Delta. You do receive "Complimentary annual Platinum Medallion status". But what the heck does that mean? (Read: at least one year, more if DL feels like it).

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited Nov 24, 2003).]
The Thanksgiving sale fares might make for some worthwhile Thurs-Fri combinations, but I don't know if one can still book those...
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
Unfortunately, "lifetime" is no longer offered through Delta. You do receive "Complimentary annual Platinum Medallion status". But what the heck does that mean? (Read: at least one year, more if DL feels like it). </font>
Good point and bad choice of words on my part. I need to quit using "lifetime" as we all know that lasts until someone at DL decides life is over. "Complimentary Annual" has a decidedly limited ring to it. IMO, if one wants to retain status on DL or elsewhere, it's probably advisable to earn it through butt miles rather than sit back and expect manna from Virginia Avenue every year.

I too will make PM this year, for the first time ever, based upon Intl flight activity mostly.. love those NRT flights!

Looking forward to my added "enhancements" - mainly the 6 PMUs, so I don't have to burn many miles next year.. other than that, I could have stayed at GM level.. but shoot, i'll give PM a whirl to see if I like it..
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:
Looking forward to my added "enhancements" - mainly the 6 PMUs, so I don't have to burn many miles next year..</font>
That's really the only substantial bennie left for PM's that I can see. The PMU's come in REAL handy when upgrading to B/E internationally.
Oh yeah, I forgot the PM bag tags...now there's an impressive benefit!!

But as I said in my original post, I do hold NEW hope that some of the dramatic reductions in medallion benefits will be rescinded with the change in regime.
I am almost exactly in the same place with 98,000+ thanks to carry-over and AMEX. With only a handful of trips left this year I would still have been short of EXP on AA by about 10K so I booked most Nov/Dec travel AA but booked one last trip on DL that will put me over the top. As it stands now, this will be my very last paid trip on DL period but the PM should help me burn a good part of 1M SMs next year.

Sadly, I still prefer the DL front-line to AA's but I find Delta's management so disingenuous that I can't see going back - at least until middle management is replaced by humans.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Sadly, I still prefer the DL front-line to AA's but I find Delta's management so disingenuous that I can't see going back - at least until middle management is replaced by humans.[/B]</font>
Don't fight it doc.. it'll all be over soon.. can you write your own prescriptions?

At this point, only Delta can save Delta..
All I can say Heckler is thank God for Xanax. Me thinks some at DL will need an Rx in short order...
a few miles short of silver status???
I will end up about 400 miles short of medallion status (24,600). Will delta make any exceptions if you are only a few miles short?
36 MQM short, any way?
Hi, checked the balance in my account. I am 35 MQM mile short to get 75000 MQM level, which will allow me to get 15000 MQM to next year. Anyway to get that without flying? or I should just call Delta and beg them?
Begging will not help. SGB!