Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

DC-10 Retirement DO - HNL 1/7/07

Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

The last flight of a NW DC-10 will be NW 98, departing HNL at 6:20 p.m. 1/7/07, arriving MSP 5:58 a.m. 1/8/07.

Starting sometime on the afternoon of Jan. 7, we are nominating SchmutzigMSP to lead us on a Tour des Lounges® through all the NW (and maybe CO & DL) lounges in HNL.

Who's going? So far we have:
theZipper in F (1H)
radiocycle in F (1C)
SchmutzigMSP in F (1G)
N24SW & wife in F (2A/2B)
MikeMpls & WifeMpls in F (2C/2G)
james318 in 3C
steve64 in F (3G)
NorthwestYoda in F
rtarbuck in F (4G)
ORDguy in F
BondAir007 in F

N751PR in 18A
Alpha Golf in Y (22A)
redtailshark in Y (22J)

maybe: dw8146 & wife, tommy777
Other links:

SchmutzigMSP has arranged the Pre-DO DO (Friday & Saturday evenings, Tour des Lounges®) here: Dinners & Lounge Tour:

DC-10 retirement t-shirts: We (all of us, I hope) will be wearing DC-10 Retirement DO T-Shirts. Please order one extra (size "L" is preferred) so we have enough to distribute to the crew.
Save $$$: Remember to use coupon code "CAMERAMAGPIE" (without the quotes): Save $5 off a $20 or more order. It expires Jan. 5th (?), but you all should have your orders placed long before then to make sure they arrive on time.
Also available are: DC-10 Retirement DO Hooded Sweatshirts

DC-10 retirement discussion thread: Last DC10 Will Be Retired 1/8/07

Another DC-10 retirement thread is here.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jan 2, 2007 at 12:21 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:32 am

I'm thinking seriously about going on this. I don't particularly like the DC-10 and I don't think it really likes me, so perhaps this could be a nice way to mutually part ways. I'll have to see what award inventory I can find and how I can tie this otherwise useless ticket to Hawaii into my other travels, perhaps using some award ticket kung-fu to tie it into a future trip to Asia.

Perhaps the first post should also be updated with the arrival times into HNL for people that want a pre-flight DO and also departure times from MSP if anyone is staying longer than a couple of hours for a connection. I'll also be happy to help out with t-shirts or other logo/themed apparel to the best of my ability, even if I end up not making the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:56 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
DC-10 retirement t-shirts? theZipper suggested this, too. I was thinking of adapting the ones SchmutzipMSP set up at Cafe Press, perhaps adding a red "Retired 1/8/07" to them. I think it would be nice gesture to give some to the crew, esp. the cabin crew.
Very suggestion. I witnessed PremEx's poignant gestures given on the anniversary of 9/11 during our flights SIN-NRT-LAX. You cannot believe what those mementos meant to those crews on that sad day. I would imagine that mementos given under far less bittersweet circumstances would go over swimmingly.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I will unfortunately be out (as of now); however, I am planning a trip that leaves on 1/8/2007, meaning I'll catch the first NW A333 out of HNL. Unluckily, it looks like F inventory on that flight isn't doing too well.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Dunno whether I'll be able to make it...

I'm lacking in the discretionary-income department, but *might* blow 70,000 miles on Y and hope for some sort of upgrade...

(Read: What's the point of going on a DC-10 if you're not in old-WBC? )
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I am so tempted. I flew DC-10s for BCAL for years - and then for BA for a year until I went to Long Haul division at LHR. It was a magnificent aircraft and I loved it. The 777 that replaced it may have replaced it in fact but not in comfort or passenger appeal.

I am a property owned in HNL (Discovery Bay) and I have to be out there at some point. Even if I were able I have to say the one time that I travelled on a NWA DC10 positioning to DTW from LGW the Y cabin seems awfully full, (the Business/First cabin was really quite pleasant). Still it is the passing of an era. DC10s are very rare in Europe these days - in fact the only one that I can think of I saw at LGW yesterday belonging to DAF and african charter carrier.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Sadly, I'm in Y right now -- though keeping my eyes out. Count me in for 'do, although if it's in WC I'll need some help.

PUCCI -- we want you! Depending on how Biman works out, I believe this could be the last-ever scheduled pax flight.

Actually met a NW captain, who said he'd be in the jumpseat.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
I would love to join you on this tribute to this grande dame of the air (no Pucci, not you ) I love the DC10 and have so many wonderful memories of trips to Europe and my first time in WBC. I'll have to look at the calendar and see if it works. This is a great idea ^
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Wow... can't believe they're still flying that thing

This would be a fun DO to do
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I only been once on a NW DC10. It was a DTW-SJU flight back in 2000. After that experience I promised never to take that old piece of junk again. But I would love to take the last HNL-MSP flight on the DC10. I will try to make it.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Last DC10 Run.

I'm currently booked into F.

Should be a blast.

^ ^

Edited: Also have WC membership and can invite two.
See SchmutzigMSP signature for review of all three Clubs.

Last edited by rtarbuck; Sep 6, 2006 at 8:31 pm
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
I am on the fence...should I or I should not take the last NWA DC-10 flight. Argh! It really depends when I leave from MSP to Hawaii. Since it will a 'new year' mmmm maybe it will be a good year by flying on the last DC-10.

I will have to look into it. (very soon)

-BondAir
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Is anyone finding anything but full Y fares on this route?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Is anyone finding anything but full Y fares on this route?
It's looking pretty heavy: P9 F6 Y9 B9 M9 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0. My Friday outbound is even worse.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
It's looking pretty heavy: P9 F6 Y9 B9 M9 H0 Q0 V0 L0 T0 K0. My Friday outbound is even worse.
It's a particularly bad time to be flying in and out of HNL...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.