Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Old Greenwich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

Preface: Overnight for mid-morning flight out of JFK. I know this is not the most convenient location for JFK. I just could not seeing paying the City rates for a mere bed. Since I need the stay credits desperate to close the gap. Also my airline will provide me with Boston Coach transport back to JFK.

Rate: AAA rate of $127.20.

Transportation: I used Red Dot which was recommended by the Hotel. The rate was $52 from JFK. Pretty efficient.

Check-in: I checked in online and used the Kiosk upon my arrival. The machine would not produce my card keys so it was necessary to wait in line.

Perks: Picked the points. Of course.

Room: You will have to excuse me. The best way to describe the Hotel and rooms is- Hyatt San Jose. The building is dated like the SJ. The room on the Regency Club level are nicely appointed. As much as you can do with a tired old shell. You enter onto carpet. A small closet to the right. You have a tv set up with a small Sony boom box. The unit also has a small frig which is empty. I have a marble top desk with chair. A sofa and side comfy chair. The bed is ok. The room faces out versus towards the courtyard. I had noise last night as the street leads to the back parking lot. The grout in the bathroom is dirty, the vent in the bathroom is full, the toilet was not that clean, the program buttons on the phone does not work and clock time was wrong. Just old.

Communication: Wired HSIA in room $9.95 for 24 hours. Also T Mobile available.

Parking: ?

Gym: Near the meeting area.

Spa: ?

Eating venues: Breakfast starts in RC at 6 AM. 6:30 AM in restaurant. Room services stops at 11 PM.

Local markets: ?

Negatives: As noted.

Closing: I would stay again. I would think the area is interesting.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The front desk is very accomodating. I was able to have the breakfast buffet in the ground floor. It was good and the wait staff was pleasant. Better to have a voucher as the rate is $17 per.

Took a look at the RC and it was nice. The Club has a continental spread in the mornings.
Old May 29, 2007, 3:59 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Poor service for gold passport member at Hyatt Regency Greenwich CT

OK, so I'm only a base Gold Passport member, but I've been signing contracts for about 50k / year of convention business with Hyatt. I stayed over the weekend at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich CT. $152 per night, probably AAA rate, but I don't really remember. Other than it was 10-20% more than both the Westin Stamford, CT and Hilton Rye Brooke, NY. I was less than impressed by the stay and the lack of promised followup.

My reservation clearly notes a preference for "quiet room". Yet I was put in the room closest to the elavators, and between the elevators and the highway. Probably one of the 6 worst rooms in the hotel. And there was a drunk debante convention or something like that. Drunks were loudly coming out of the elevator into the wee hours of the morning. Unfortunately I didn't realize exactly how fubared this was until I was trying to fall asleep at about midnight. So, I didn't try to change my room. And then of course families started leaving with loud kids at 6 AM. At about 7 AM, I gave up and hit the road. (Fortunately I didn't fall asleep on the road.)

On checkout I asked how I got such a terrible room. The desk clerk said it was assigned at check-in. I asked what was the point of asking Gold Passport members what their room preference was and that if there one person who wasn't a Gold Passport member who was staying in the hotel and got a better room something was seriously wrong in my opinion. (And anyway as far as I can tell, the hotel wasn't full.) I explained that this was the first time I had stayed in that hotel in several years and while I didn't remember what happened the previous time I was unimpressed then too. The desk clerk assured me that the front desk manager would contact me to discuss this that day.

That was two days ago. I haven't gotten a call yet. This is just another disappointing experience at a Hyatt. Why get Holiday Inn service when you are paying Hyatt prices?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I had a recent stay at this property at a midweek corp rate of $269. After being Diamond for years, I've dropped down to Plat and thus wasn't expecting much. At check in I was given the key to room 2016, but I asked about an upgrade to the RC floor and was told it would be an additional $50 bucks, 'no thank you' I politely replied. My room was a corner one with 2 windows--but the view was of the pool / health clubs' tar roof in both directions, and the room reaked of clorine. I called down and requested a change. They said they'd see what they could do as there was a big convention going on. At the desk, I was told I if I wanted 2 doubles (instead of a king) I could get a complimentary upgrade to the RC floor, which I gladly accepted.
As for the room (4121), it was identical to the non RC rooms, except this one overlooked the interior atrium lobby. The RC opens in the evening at 5pm and had a nice selection of appetizers, soft drinks and complimentary wine
For breakfast there was the usual selection of fruits, cerals, yougurts, muffins, rolls, coffee and juices. All in all, an ok experience, although I'll probably continue to stay at the Westin Stamford as their corp rate is quite a bit cheaper at $152 and there as a Plat I always have access to the club floor.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:14 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mauld
I had a recent stay at this property at a midweek corp rate of $269. After being Diamond for years, I've dropped down to Plat and thus wasn't expecting much. At check in I was given the key to room 2016, but I asked about an upgrade to the RC floor and was told it would be an additional $50 bucks, 'no thank you' I politely replied. My room was a corner one with 2 windows--but the view was of the pool / health clubs' tar roof in both directions, and the room reaked of clorine. I called down and requested a change. They said they'd see what they could do as there was a big convention going on. At the desk, I was told I if I wanted 2 doubles (instead of a king) I could get a complimentary upgrade to the RC floor, which I gladly accepted.
As for the room (4121), it was identical to the non RC rooms, except this one overlooked the interior atrium lobby. The RC opens in the evening at 5pm and had a nice selection of appetizers, soft drinks and complimentary wine
For breakfast there was the usual selection of fruits, cerals, yougurts, muffins, rolls, coffee and juices. All in all, an ok experience, although I'll probably continue to stay at the Westin Stamford as their corp rate is quite a bit cheaper at $152 and there as a Plat I always have access to the club floor.
Jeez, at the same price I'd pick the Westin. Especially since, IIRC, the Westin gives free parking and the Hyatt charges for it, no? For $100 cheaper I'd do handstands. Of course I have a 100% track record of getting into the Westin Club Lounge and a 10-25% track record of getting into the Regency Club at these hotels. The only issue might be if the Regency Club was open more nights than the Westin Club Lounge.

Last edited by stc; Oct 10, 2007 at 9:15 pm Reason: left out text
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:13 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I'm actually here at this property now. It's ok, but I'm glad I have a corp rate, and not paying $299/night. The rooms are a bit dated and old fashioned looking, but at least they don't seem damp or mildew-y like some of the airport Hyatts out there. But, boy are the rooms tiny. I had a room with two double beds (no Kings available tonight), so maybe the King rooms have more space.

The gym is nice, and so is the small pool and hot tub. The hotel also has a free shuttle which will take you anywhere in a 3 mile radius. This is nice because there isn't much around within walking distance.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I thought I would refresh the thread since there have been no reports in 2 years and I have made a a couple of stays here this summer.

They are renovating in Greenwich this week- removing the big trees from the atrium and replacing them with palm trees. The club lounge is closed (and I think it has been for some time) and the atrium restaurant is closed as well, so breakfast is currently being served in a conference room off the lobby. They didn't have the buffet so they are asking diamonds to order anything off the menu instead. As might be expected, service is a bit dysfunctional since the wait staff is in unfamiliar territory and it is quite crowded as there appear to be a LOT of folks having business meetings over breakfast. I saw 4 laptop presentations being made and there were several other groups in suits there so it is clearly a business crowd in the mornings.

The rest of the hotel could use a refresh- the rooms are dated and pretty dark and none of them really have any views. Plus there is only one set of elevators and stairs so it can be a very LONG walk to get to your room (there are about 150 rooms per floor here!) The location is good, near Old Greenwich train station and very close to exit 5 on I-95 so it's a quick 15 minute trip to White Plains even in morning traffic, avoiding the Stamford traffic. Conversely, it's a 5 minute drive to Stamford and all the malls/restaurants there since Greenwich is pretty limited. But you need a car here- it's pretty isolated and you'll be walking 1/2 mile or more to get to any stores or restaurants- it is on Route 1 right on the Stamford border and not near nice walkable downtown Greenwich.

All rooms have a small refrigerator and they have coffee stations at each floor near the elevators- big urns of Seattle's Best and teas for you to help yourself- way better coffee than you can possibly brew in those awful in-room coffee setups. They charge $10 for self-parking ($25 for non-guests attending events there) which seems ridiculous considering this is a residential neighborhood and not a city. But their competitors in nearby Stamford (Hilton, Marriott, and even Holiday Inn) charge $10+ for parking so I guess the Hyatt thinks they should as well.

Overall a decent experience if you need the points/credits, but not worth the big rates they charge midweek.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:46 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Will post a stay report later but made a reservation for tonight for one night. Selected the Nor1 upgrade for a Conference and/or VIP for I believe 90/110 respectively. Received an email this morning indicating a complimentary upgrade to a Conference Suite ^.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:58 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
parking

Originally Posted by Dr. D
They charge $10 for self-parking ($25 for non-guests attending events there) which seems ridiculous considering this is a residential neighborhood and not a city. But their competitors in nearby Stamford (Hilton, Marriott, and even Holiday Inn) charge $10+ for parking so I guess the Hyatt thinks they should as well.
Am stopping here this weekend in transit from JFK to Boston, likely arriving midnight and on the road again by 7am. Really don't want to pay $10 for parking - is it possible to park on the road overnight ? [sorry, no idea of CT rules...]
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Am stopping here this weekend in transit from JFK to Boston, likely arriving midnight and on the road again by 7am. Really don't want to pay $10 for parking - is it possible to park on the road overnight ? [sorry, no idea of CT rules...]
There is no parking available on the road outside the hotel. You might try the housing subdivision across the street or the shopping center down the hill although I'm not sure what rules are in force in either of these areas. The parking lot is not monitored and telling the front desk that you have a car and that your room should be charged for parking is on the honor system.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:20 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by edsh
There is no parking available on the road outside the hotel. You might try the housing subdivision across the street or the shopping center down the hill although I'm not sure what rules are in force in either of these areas. The parking lot is not monitored and telling the front desk that you have a car and that your room should be charged for parking is on the honor system.
Thanks for this. Will see how awake my conscience is at 6.45am.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP
Finished a couple of months here recently, so I will add my two cents.

The property definitely has a beautiful lobby. My times there were mostly restricted to arriving after 11 pm and leaving before 8 am, but in the glow of the morning sun the atrium with the glass ceiling is very nice. There is a little river flowing through the lobby with bridges and meandering sidewalks bordered by mulch and vegetation. There are numerous birds inside as well, and I am still puzzled as to how they keep the "mess" from showing up.

Check-in was normally painless (I often was one of the last people to check-in, so I can't comment for peak hours), but the check-in kiosk seemed to always be down. I don't believe the hotel has any suites, so I cannot comment on upgrades, but I was almost always placed on the regency club floor. To my knowledge, the rooms are no different except for a slightly larger couch.

I was on a sweet deal "account of the month" club (5,000 pts per stay), plus G2 and Diamond, so I was racking up the points and splitting my stays by going back to NY once a week. My points posted correctly about half the time.

The Regency Club is decent size, with a decent continental-type breakfast spread. I can't comment on the evening fare since I was always working. They also have Seattle's Best (I think) coffee out by the elevators complementary to all guests in the morning.

Used the gym and pool sparingly. Gym is smallish but open 24 hours, pool closes at 11.

The rooms are very tired. There is the presence of an ever-so-slight musty smell, and most still have the old tube tv's that are in varying states of working condition. I rarely got a room with a new flat panel, but from what I can tell they are doing piece meal renovations (removing the giant entertainment center with a more LCD-friendly flat top dresser). Rooms face either the lobby/courtyard area or outside. Wired internet is free for diamonds, but painfully slow. I'm talking dial-up slow. There is also T-mobile hotspot which I ended up using and charging to the company.

Word to the wise: request a room close to the elevator. This hotel is quite long end-to-end, and there is only one set of stairs and elevators. If I ever got put on the far end, I would used the employees-only stairwell and come out in the kitchen because it was such a haul.

All-in-all a decent property for a business traveler, but the rooms are really the limiting factor here. Big need for an update.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:15 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by Domer579
Finished a couple of months here recently, so I will add my two cents.

The property definitely has a beautiful lobby. My times there were mostly restricted to arriving after 11 pm and leaving before 8 am, but in the glow of the morning sun the atrium with the glass ceiling is very nice. There is a little river flowing through the lobby with bridges and meandering sidewalks bordered by mulch and vegetation. There are numerous birds inside as well, and I am still puzzled as to how they keep the "mess" from showing up.

Check-in was normally painless (I often was one of the last people to check-in, so I can't comment for peak hours), but the check-in kiosk seemed to always be down. I don't believe the hotel has any suites, so I cannot comment on upgrades, but I was almost always placed on the regency club floor. To my knowledge, the rooms are no different except for a slightly larger couch.

I was on a sweet deal "account of the month" club (5,000 pts per stay), plus G2 and Diamond, so I was racking up the points and splitting my stays by going back to NY once a week. My points posted correctly about half the time.

The Regency Club is decent size, with a decent continental-type breakfast spread. I can't comment on the evening fare since I was always working. They also have Seattle's Best (I think) coffee out by the elevators complementary to all guests in the morning.

Used the gym and pool sparingly. Gym is smallish but open 24 hours, pool closes at 11.

The rooms are very tired. There is the presence of an ever-so-slight musty smell, and most still have the old tube tv's that are in varying states of working condition. I rarely got a room with a new flat panel, but from what I can tell they are doing piece meal renovations (removing the giant entertainment center with a more LCD-friendly flat top dresser). Rooms face either the lobby/courtyard area or outside. Wired internet is free for diamonds, but painfully slow. I'm talking dial-up slow. There is also T-mobile hotspot which I ended up using and charging to the company.

Word to the wise: request a room close to the elevator. This hotel is quite long end-to-end, and there is only one set of stairs and elevators. If I ever got put on the far end, I would used the employees-only stairwell and come out in the kitchen because it was such a haul.

All-in-all a decent property for a business traveler, but the rooms are really the limiting factor here. Big need for an update.
Thanks for the review. Like the handle ^. And our hearts forever love thee Notre Dame
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:00 am
Suspended

I just completed an overnight stay at this hotel using a FFN as it is near to my parents and I would be unable to use it due to my schedule and I concluded that earning 3,500 bonus points (Diamond bonus and closed lounge bonus) was at least somce consolation.

First, Diamonds are not charged the $10 parking fee -- they know in advance from your profile if you are a Diamond and it should never appear on your bill. This is true of a paid stay, as well, I have been told.

Second, I was advised that although the lounge will be closed on weekends this summer, it will be open during the weekdays -- apparently, this is a departure from last summer when the lounge was closed for 2 -3 months straight and this change is likely due to an improving business envirionment.

I have been told that the lounge only has cold items, but that it does offer lox and bagels as well as some smoked meat and cheese in the morning, in addition to the usual cold items such as cereal and pastries.

The buffet breakfast voucher for 2 that is given to Diamonds in lieu of lounge closure covers tax and tip, by the way.

Although the rooms are not new, I had a new flat panel TV in my room on the Regency club floor --comp upgrade due to my status -- and the bed was new, as well. Even though the room was not new, it was extremely clean and therefore, it was fine for a short term stay.

My only problem with the room was that the room never cooled sufficiently for me -- I like the room very cold and it just did not cool off to my satisfaction.

I liked the gym as it has relatively new equipment. In addition, the gym is larger than one might imagine as there is a corridor leading to a second room where the weight equipment is -- the initial room -- which leads to the small indoor pool -- houses the aerobic equipment such as lifecycles and treadmills.

Location is great and the lobby is beautiful as has been noted -- you could do far worse than staying here and if the lounge is closed on the weekend, a Diamond could be 3,500 points richer.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

First, Diamonds are not charged the $10 parking fee -- they know in advance from your profile if you are a Diamond and it should never appear on your bill. This is true of a paid stay, as well, I have been told.

Funny, they tried to charge me for this, even though I am a Diamond and DID NOT HAVE A CAR (I had to call to get the charge removed on the basis of the latter fact).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.