What kind of food allowed on domestic U.S.A. flights?

Subscribe
I've read several articles/links to official rules, and none I've read specifically mention bringing food with you. My concern is not getting the munchies on a short hop, but rather the health problems faced by folks like myself and family members who are on medically restricted diets. The last nine segments we flew had a variety of snacks on offer - and absolutely nothing we could have eaten without serious health consequences. And don't even mention special airline meals - they don't exist in 2006!

Will a doctor's letter/RX get you permission to bring your own food on board? Yeah, I know such a thing would be easy to forge, but what other criteria would be used to decide?

Right now we're trying to decide on a Christmas trip destination - if these rules last, we'll drive instead of fly, despite having miles to burn.

p.s. and for those who would suggest just toughing it out and not eating - medically, that would be a really, really bad idea for us.
Quote: I've read several articles/links to official rules, and none I've read specifically mention bringing food with you. My concern is not getting the munchies on a short hop, but rather the health problems faced by folks like myself and family members who are on medically restricted diets. The last nine segments we flew had a variety of snacks on offer - and absolutely nothing we could have eaten without serious health consequences. And don't even mention special airline meals - they don't exist in 2006!

Will a doctor's letter/RX get you permission to bring your own food on board? Yeah, I know such a thing would be easy to forge, but what other criteria would be used to decide?

Right now we're trying to decide on a Christmas trip destination - if these rules last, we'll drive instead of fly, despite having miles to burn.

p.s. and for those who would suggest just toughing it out and not eating - medically, that would be a really, really bad idea for us.

Food is fine as long as it doesn't have a liquid/paste/gel-like consistency.... For example, you cannot take pudding, jello cups, applesauce, etc. through. Solid food is fine still. No mayo packets
Food (not in liquid form) is fine. No prescription necessary.
I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. )

I'll report on how it goes.
Quote: I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. )

They may make you squeeze out all the juice into a garbage can before going through security and then you'll only have the rinds left to sell to other pax... not much $ to be had there.

Keep us posted though.
Quote: I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. )

Thats a good idea, I might try that, and then all of the peels and stuff on the plane, just to get the message across that this absolutely ridiculous.
If you get a salad (to eat on-board) make sure the dressing is mixed (not in a cup)
If you buy a salad at an airport concession, make sure the salad dressing is already mixed up.

If the salad dressing happens to be "on the side" it will be consider a liquid and your salad will be confiscated.

RC
What kind of food is ok to carry on?
I have a series of flights coming up that will have me flying for 8+ hours. I abhor the AA snack box. What is permitted for me to bring on the plane? I wouldn't have thought to ask this but for the amazing bagel & cream cheese story.

Has anyone brought any substantial (not just snack bars) food on board since this craziness started? Just curious what I can manage to get on board.

Thanks.
Very dry Christian food, not too heavy as to be a weapon but not light enough to liquify.
Quote: Very dry Christian food, not too heavy as to be a weapon but not light enough to liquify.
Darn ... matzoh *almost* makes it...
I was at a kosher restaurant last month with a Jewish friend and the matzah ball I got would have definitely caused some damage as a blunt-force weapon. It would have been easier to eat a baseball than that thing.
According to other threads in this forum,

No Jelly Donuts
No Cream Cheese
No Peanut Butter

(Seriously!)
Open Wide
What kind of food is ok to carry on?

Used.
I brought on a whole pizza from the Wolfgang Puck restaurant near K-10 at ORD on Thursday night, even though I was in F. Nobody at AA said a word.
Quote: I brought on a whole pizza from the Wolfgang Puck restaurant near K-10 at ORD on Thursday night, even though I was in F. Nobody at AA said a word.
Hey, isn't a pizza usually just covered in things that could be seen as liquids and gels? You MUST be working with the terrorists!