Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EQMs obtained from non-flight activity & e500 certs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P

Hi there,

My husband is a 2P on his way to 1P. He will be earning some EQMs soon (hopefully) from United.com purchases. We are wondering if the EQMs count toward the 10,000 miles that are needed for electronic 500 mile upgrade certs.

We are thinking not, and that it is necessary to actually fly 10,000 miles for each set of 500mile certs, but we aren't sure.

He's earned one set of e500 certs by flying 10,000 miles after he became 2P.

Can anyone answer our question?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:06 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by FinallyFlying

We are thinking not, and that it is necessary to actually fly 10,000 miles for each set of 500mile certs, but we aren't sure.
Correct. In fact to earn the upgrades, the 10,000 miles flown must be on United.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:46 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Best way to track UA BIS is to watch the "lifetime UA miles" number as you fly. That's the one which obtains for 500's/CR1's earning. IIRC, it's only actual flight miles (subject to the minumum segment earning rules) on UA/UX/TED which count. Folks who fly and earn COS bonuses (EQM) can share whether those EQM count. I'm too cheap

Pat
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

Originally Posted by FinallyFlying
Hi there,

My husband is a 2P on his way to 1P. He will be earning some EQMs soon (hopefully) from United.com purchases. We are wondering if the EQMs count toward the 10,000 miles that are needed for electronic 500 mile upgrade certs.

He's earned one set of e500 certs by flying 10,000 miles after he became 2P.

Can anyone answer our question?

Thanks.
Do you mean from credit card purchases with the UA CC on UAL.com?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by camachinist
Folks who fly and earn COS bonuses (EQM) can share whether those EQM count.
They do not. EQMs have nothing to do with earning 500s, CR-1s, or lifetime miles. They are strictly Elite Qualifying Miles.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Do you mean from credit card purchases with the UA CC on UAL.com?
More specifically, only the Platinum card earns EQM this year.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
[QUOTE=mahasamatman]More specifically, only the Platinum card earns EQM this year.[/QUOTE

Yes, I forgot to specify that he will be earning the EQMs for purchases made with his Platinum Visa card. We figured that EQMs did NOT count toward the 10,000 miles flown, but what the heck, we were hopeful!

Thanks for the replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.