Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Firearms being stolen from checked bags

Guns at O'Hare are disappearing
Firearms being stolen from checked bags

By David Heinzmann and Josh Noel
Tribune staff reporters
Published August 14, 2006

Several handguns have been stolen from bags checked by police officers, military personnel and others on United Airlines flights departing O'Hare International Airport, sparking concern that the weapons are loose in what is supposed to be a secure part of the airport.

Since the beginning of the year, there have been "a handful" of firearm thefts from luggage being handled by United personnel, Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. Bags containing guns also have disappeared, authorities said.

More at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
The first thing you will hear is that the TSA and the airlines are NOT responsible and that they will not be paying claims on these. You will hear little or nothing of the TSA or the airlines discussing the fact that guns are missing on the airside. They will only want to make it clear that they have no financial responsibility. Right after that they will tell you that you shouldn't be checking guns anyway, and that will lead to the suggestion that if guns were banned none of this would be an issue.

--PP
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:22 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Several years ago United was placing, "FFFFFFFF" on tags for baggage containing firearms. I wonder if they're still doing that.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
Originally Posted by tlglenn
Several years ago United was placing, "FFFFFFFF" on tags for baggage containing firearms. I wonder if they're still doing that.
Why not just place "$$$$$$$$" on tags, which could then be used for all sorts of things besides firearms.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by tlglenn

LOL--that would signal it. This situation is kind of crazy. It's alarming to know that the people charged with filling the hold steal; it's frightening to know that they steal guns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.