MSP Skyway Security

Subscribe
I will be flying out of MSP next month, and while I hope that all the security mess is over by then, I'm not holding my breath. I have been trying to find out the best way to access the MSP skyway security checkpoint- we would be coming from an off-site parking site. Would shuttles only drop us off at the normal front departures area, meaning that we would have to go down and take the tram over to the skyway area (and possibly hike back if our gate is at the other end)? I have known about the skyway security checkpoint for years, but never have had the chance to use it...hoping it will come in handy and save us some time.
The off-site parking busses will drop you off at the far end of the parking ramp. Once you go inside, you can take an elevator up a level or two to the skyway security level (same as the car rental desks). It's really slick.

Keep in mind there is no elite lane at this checkpoint, which is really only an issue at peak travel times such as the morning push or the lunchtime departure push.
I have never been in a security line at MSP that would warrant going all the way to the skyway security checkpoint, especially if your gate is far away from that checkpoint.

That being said, I believe if you go down two levels from where the off airport parking shuttle drops you off, you'll be at the tram level, which is underneath where the ticketing and baggage claim driveways are. You could get on the tram, take it back to the red/blue parking ramps, and go up to the skyway checkpoint level. I suppose if you were heading directly to the C WorldClub, or one of the last G gates it could be faster.
Quote: The off-site parking busses will drop you off at the far end of the parking ramp. Once you go inside, you can take an elevator up a level or two to the skyway security level (same as the car rental desks). It's really slick.

Keep in mind there is no elite lane at this checkpoint, which is really only an issue at peak travel times such as the morning push or the lunchtime departure push.
I don't believe that is true. The skyway that is near the offsite parking dropoff is just to the main ticketing area. The skyway security checkpoint is all the way on the other side of the airport.
Quote: I don't believe that is true. The skyway that is near the offsite parking dropoff is just to the main ticketing area. The skyway security checkpoint is all the way on the other side of the airport.
No, you're right. I haven't used the off-site parking in a while so I forgot.

You will need to take the elevator down to the tram level and take the tram out to the "transit center", then go up 2 levels and you are at the security checkpoint. It's still slick.

Use the skyway security checkpoing if you have flights departing anywhere from A/B/C concourse or flights departing on the higher numbered gates on G concourse (gates numbered G14 and larger). Access to either the C/G concourse is provided by moving walkways.
Depending on how long the security lines are at the main terminal, the skyway checkpoint might be faster even taking the tram from the main terminal, going upstairs, through the checkpoint, then back to your gate wherever that might be. It would take a while go get there and back, but if in light of the new security procedures the main lines are long (especially if you are non-elite), I could see how this might be quicker.
This checkpoint also has the great advantage of being close to the beautiful C concourse worldclub! Most of my flights these days seem to be out of C, so I find this works perfectly for me. Sometimes my dad will pull into the parking lot to drop me off, other times I'll take the tram, but either way, it's INCREDIBLY quick. My husband is elite and this is still usually quicker than going in through the elite lines, which can get long at peak travel times.

And here I thought it was my little secret
Quote: I will be flying out of MSP next month, and while I hope that all the security mess is over by then, I'm not holding my breath. I have been trying to find out the best way to access the MSP skyway security checkpoint- we would be coming from an off-site parking site. Would shuttles only drop us off at the normal front departures area, meaning that we would have to go down and take the tram over to the skyway area (and possibly hike back if our gate is at the other end)? I have known about the skyway security checkpoint for years, but never have had the chance to use it...hoping it will come in handy and save us some time.
One thing to remember about the skyway check-point is that there is no place to check luggage. I use this one all the time because I take the bus from my home to the airport. I live 1 block from the stop and the #54 goes straight to MSP. I have a few trips coming up and might need to check stuff. I don't want to go all the way to the main security and there is no skycap at the bus stop....grrrr.

I hope this security thing is only a short-term pain.
Skyway is not always faster.
More and more people are using it (and some appear to have never been on an airplane before).
Since it usually only has one line open, when it get slow it get very slow.
Quote: Skyway is not always faster.
More and more people are using it (and some appear to have never been on an airplane before).
Since it usually only has one line open, when it get slow it get very slow.
Also, I've noticed that a lot of pilots and FA's seem to use this line, and since they get to cut to the front of the line, that can slow it down even further on days when it is backed up. But it is nice, as others have noted, if you are headed for an ABC gate or a high G gate, since it cuts down the walking.